Hvalba is a village in Suðuroy in the Faroe Islands.
Hvalba is connected with two other villages by two tunnels. South east of the village is Hvalbiartunnilin, which connects Hvalba with Trongisvágur, Tvøroyri and all the other villages and towns in Suðuroy, which are south of Hvalba. The other tunnel is north east of the village, on the northern arm of the fjord Hvalbiarfjørður, just above a place which is called Reyði Barmur, because of the red colour of the cliff. This tunnel is called Sandvíkstunnilin, it connects the northernmost village Sandvík with Hvalba. There is no other way to get to Hvalba or Sandvík than by tunnel. There is a public buss, the buss line 701, which goes to Hvalba and Sandvík from the ferry port at Krambatangi and from the villages Tvøroyri, Trongisvágur, Øravík and Fámjin. The time schedule is to find on the website of Strandfaraskip Landsins (SSL): www.ssl.fo
Hvalba is a rather large area. There are two villages around the bay of Hvalba: Nes is on the southern side of the fjord and Hvalba is at the bottom of the bay and on the northern side. Hvalba was once the largest village in Suðuroy. The area is not larger than one can go by feet around in the village or to the two isthmuses Hvalbiareiði (also called Fiskieiði) and Norðbergseiði (also called Á Drátti). These two places are both on the west coast of the island while Hvalba village is on the east coast. The island is almost divided into two in Hvalba. You can also go hiking trips up in the mountains around the village. If you have a car it is easier and faster to get around in Hvalba and to other places, but the distances are not that big inside the village.
Taxi and busses in Suðuroy:
- Phone: 506888, Taxi and Bus, Kartni Fornagarð, Taxi for 6 persons and minibus for 16 persons.
- Phone: 227228, AH Taxi, Trongisvágur. Taxi (two cars).
- Phone: 215210 or 250350, David Findleton, Taxi and minibus.
- Phone: 226566, Mikkjal Pauli Johansen, Trongisvágur,bus
- Phone: 212324, Fámjins Bygdaleið, Fámjin, Two busses for 14 and 19 persons.
- Phone: 373380 or 213380, Hjørleif Holm, Vágur. Taxi.
- Phone: 222918, Jákup Lindenskov, Vágur. Taxi.
- Phone: 239550, Ludvig Poulsen Busses, Sumba/Vágur. Several buses which are for 13, 19, 42 and 49 persons.
Rent a car in Suðuroy
- ADI Auto Service, Sjógøta 79, FO-800 Tvøroyri, phone +298 222328. Description: ADI Auto Service has a few cars and pick-up's for hire. Two Skoda Sabia, one Ford Mondeo, one Daewoo, 2 pick-up's and one jeep in which you can drive up in the mountains. Price for one of the cars is 500 DKK for one day. If you hire the car for more than one day the price is 350 DKK pr. day. Free kilometer. (These information are from 2010, the cars and prices may change in time).
- Magn petrol station in Trongisvágur, phone +298 371466
- Fiskieiði, also called Hvalbiareiði, the old harbour of Hvalba, located on the west coast, south of Grímsfjall (mountain).
- Norðbergseiði, also called Á Drátti, vertical cliffs, a natural hole is in the cliff (there is a fence around it), a big rock is lying next to the northern cliff of Grímsfjall, it fell down sometime in the 1980'ies. The cliff down by the sea, just below the parking area at Norðbergseiði there is columnar basalt formations.
- Memorial of Hvalba in memory of people lost at sea. It is located on the northern side of the fjord, just before the boat harbour. It is also in memory of people who lost their lives in the coal mines of Hvalba and on Lítla Dímun (island) or who fell down from a mountain side near the village.
- Bakkhús, Skálavegur 6 in Hvalba, phone 375436. Supermarket and petrol station. You can also buy warm sausages, hot dogs etc. here.
- Grillbarrin (Fast Food), Bíarvegur 121, FO-850 Hvalba, ☎ +298 375555. Fast Food in Hvalba, take away. You can buy burgers, sausages, frensh fries etc.
B&B and Vacation Rental in Hvalba, ask the Tourist Information Center in Tvøroyri, website: www.visitsuduroy.fo
- Ruth'sa Café and Tourist Information (Ruth'sa Kunningarstova og kafé), Bíarvegur 145, Hvalba (Opposite of the Sports Hall Roynhøllin), ☎ +298 237575, . Ruth'sa is run by Rúni Thomsen, it is a café and Tourist Information Center in Hvalba. They arrange sightseeing into the coal mine, síging (a kind of rappelling) on Norðbergseiði, hiking trips etc.
- Ruth'sa Tourist Information and Café, Address: Bíarvegur 145, FO-850 Hvalba, Faroe Islands, phone +298 237575, website: Ruthsa.com