Hout Bay is little port village near the South African metropole Cape Town.
Hout Bay is situated at the west side of the Cape Peninsula. You can get there by car, following the road along the west coast of Peninsula. From the Cape Town city centre drive to Camps Bay and from there all along the sea. You can also get there from the east side of the Peninsula and from the Cape of Good Hope.
Park your car at the parking lot by the harbour.
Republic of Hout Bay
Hout Bay is not only famous for its fresh fish and harbour, but also for the "Republic of Hout Bay". Back in time, someone made up his own passport of the Republic of Hout Bay and travelled to many countries in the world, without anybody noticing his false document.
The harbour itself is the main attraction. It is quiet and full of bustling fisher boats at the same time.
Spectacular sunset from Chapman's Peak Drive
Watch the fisherman unload their fresh fish, old ladies repairing the nets or go on a trip to Seal Island to see the local seal colony.
A visit to Hout Bay is incomplete without a visit to the World of Birds, a wonderful bird park, touted to be the biggest in the western cape. Make sure that you time your visit to coincide with the feeding of the Squirrel monkeys.
Chapman's Peak Drive starts just south of Hout Bay. This toll road offers spectacular views, especially at sunset. If you're a world class big wave surfer, Hout Bay is the location of Dungeons home to some of the worlds biggest surfable waves in winter.
There is an antique store next to the restaurant, which is definitely worth a visit!
- Fish & Chips at Mariner's Wharf, Hout Bay Harbour, ☎ (+27) 21 790 1100, . Very good Fish & Chips. Sometimes overcrowded but worth waiting in the queue. R 35.00.
Taste fresh lobsters or other seafood and fish at the local restaurant. It is cheap compared to prices in inner Cape Town, but can be bought for less at more quiet places.
- Visit the Lookout Deck at Hout Bay harbour for a perfect seafood platter.
- Mariners Wharf offers a beautiful setting with superb sea food, but a little more pricey.
- Dunes Restaurant, 1 Beach Road, ☎ +27 (0)21 790-1876. Good food and excellent views.
- Visit the Chapman's cigar bar at the foor of Chapman's Peak for a sun-downer, you would also be making no mistake tasting their pan-fried Calamari, possibly the best in the world!
- Try the local sushi restaurant run by Bruce and his wife.
- The Pirates den has DJs some nights, but many locals steer clear and thus the place can be very empty.
- A local gem is the Work Shop, claimed to be the smallest (licensed) pub in Africa is serves as a good meeting place when the weather is good, drink is cheap and the local young folk enjoy meeting new people and will always talk to any new faces.
Accommodation in Hout Bay consists mainly of smaller guesthouses and bed and breakfasts, prices vary and it is worth shopping around for the best option. Try searching to find accommodation to fit your budget and requirements, as more establishments offer their own websites and direct online booking facilities, securing the right accommodation is much easier. Booking in advance is essential over the peak periods and in particular over December and January.
- Le Marais, 2 Harold Close, Oakhurst Estate (Just behind the Oakhurst Farm Stall), ☎ +27(0)21 790-9562, . B&B and selfcatering, run by French hosts, Patrice and Denis, with a superb interior design.
- La Dolce Vita, No 17, The Village Square, Hout Bay, (email@example.com), . A four-star luxury two bedroom apartment with stunning sea and mountain views that sleeps four, in a modern building with swimming pool, just minutes from the beach. From R700pn.
- Villa Romantica is situated directly at the beach, opposite the waterfront, allowing easy access. Rates start from around R300.
- The Bay Lodge overlooks the bay and surrounding mountains. It offers continental AND cooked breakfast. Prices from R190pps.
- Howberry Farm is located in the new centre of Hout Bay, close to the Mandela Park development. It is ideally situated for informative tours of this settlement, allowing a unique view and understanding of the opportunities and problems presented by life in the new South Africa. Very popular with long-stay 'Gap Year' students, prices start at just R125pps.
- Shambala Guest Lodge, 7 Little Lions Head Road, Hout Bay, (firstname.lastname@example.org), . Set in a lush and tranquil garden on the sunny slopes of Little Lion’s Head mountain, overlooking the valley of Hout Bay. Offers a selection of one and two bedroom self-catering suites. Breath taking views and beach access close by. From R250pppn.
- Hout Bay Manor is one of the prime adresses in Hout Bay. It offers continental breakfast and despite all the normal facilities complimentary use of the local gym and internet access. Rates are from R610pps.
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!