Hopkins is a city in the Twin Cities.
Until 1893, Hopkins was part of Minneapolis. That year, residents of Hopkins sent the Hennepin County Board of Commissioners a petition signed by 41 residents, asking that a separate village be formed. Following an election, the community was then incorporated as the village of West Minneapolis. In 1928 the village name was changed to Hopkins, and in 1948 Hopkins officially became a city.
Hopkins is a dynamic community of over 17,000 residents located just 13 minutes west of Minneapolis. Founded rich in tradition and growth, Hopkins offers the advantages and conveniences of a large City but yet the security of a small town.
The Minneapolis/St. Paul International Airport is only fifteen miles from Hopkins.
Highway 7 runs east-west through Hopkins and connects the city to Interstate 494 and Highway 100. Highway 7 also continues east into Minneapolis. Highway 169 runs north-south connecting the city to Interstate 694 and Interstate 394.
Most people travel by car in Hopkins. Metro Transit serves the Hopkins area with bus service and the schedule can be found on the Metro Transit website . Taxi service is also available by request, although it would be rather hard to hail a cab down from the street.
- Shady Oak Beach, 5200 Shady Oak Rd, ☎ +1 952 908-7083, . 76 feet of sandy beach shoreline, 2 sand play areas, water play area, sand volleyball court, concession stand, restroom/changing areas, canoe rental and fishing. $5.
- The Depot Coffee House, 9451 Excelsior Blvd, ☎ +1 952 938-2204, . The Depot is a renovated train depot that now serves as a coffee house, youth community project, and trailhead for area bike trails.
- Hopkins Center for the Arts, 1111 Mainstreet, ☎ +1 952 979-1100, . The Center is a focal point for arts, culture and entertainment. It is located in downtown Hopkins, within walking distance of several restaurants, antique and other shops and a movie theater complex. Parking is free.
Hopkins has the unique distinction of being the trailhead for the Southwest Regional LRT Trail and the North Trail Corridor. It also contains 18 parks and recreational areas, a large percentage of its 4 square miles.
- Meadowbrook Golf Course, 201 Meadowbrook Rd, ☎ +1 612 929-2077, . This is a very demanding course. It was built on gently rolling hills, and features tree-lined fairways and large greens. The course overlooks the scenic Minnehaha Creek. Water hazards come into play on five holes.
- Oak Ridge Country Club, 700 Oak Ridge Rd, ☎ +1 612 935-7721, . This course was built on hilly terrain, so you can expect many changes in elevation and uneven lies. $75.
- Stages Theatre Company, 1111 Mainstreet, ☎ +1 952 979-1123, . A theater for kids, by kids, with excellent local talent, fun shows, and a venue that is very family-friendly.
- Hopkins Cinema 6, 1118 Mainstreet, ☎ +1 952 931-7992, . 6 theater cinema. Open for matinees on Fridays through Sundays. Offers 'Terrific Tuesdays' where all tickets are $2.50.
Hopkins has a concentration of hard-to-find specialty shops and family-owned restaurants. Most businesses are located along Mainstreet.
- Ah...Boheme!, 5 9th Ave S, ☎ +1 952 238-0950. Offering antiques, collectibles, memorabilia, and boutique gifts.
- Hopkins Antique Mall, 1008 Mainstreet, ☎ +1 952 931-9748, . 2 levels and 68 dealers provide a wonderful mixture of antiques and collectibles—the largest antique mall in the west metro!
- Blake Antiques, 901 Mainstreet, ☎ +1 952 930-0477. Nineteenth and early 20th century furniture, pottery, jewelry, silver and more from 50 dealers!
- Baby Grand, 1010 Mainstreet, ☎ +1 912-1010, . Family owned and operated boutique, offers nursery furniture, strollers, car seats, custom bedding, unique gifts & more.
- Corset Boutique, 715 Mainstreet, ☎ +1 952 224-2495, . Offers head-turning woman's wear and knowledgeable stylists to help busy women look great for work and weekends.
- Heartstrings Bridal, 1605 Mainstreet, ☎ +1 952 932-9090, . Carries luxurious but affordable bridal gowns, bridesmaid dresses, tuxedos, accessories, etc.
- Moon Goon, 1007 Mainstreet, ☎ +1 952 933-9750, . The answer to your cries for stylish apparel, all in the freshest West Coast looks and low prices.
- Bud's Music Center, 820 Mainstreet, ☎ +1 952 938-6341. Music instruction and education, instrument rental and purchase, local CDS.
- Cosecha Designs, 1002 Mainstreet, ☎ +1 401-8169, . “The Bead Store,” is an exotic, exquisite and eclectic beads, jewelry, rare gifts and objects of art store. Meet Cosecha Designs award-winning artists and friendly staff.
- Sea Level, 8590 Excelsior Blvd, ☎ +1 952 933-2244, . Tropical fish, aquariums, and supplies. Specialize in salt water fish and coral, koi and pond fish, exotice fresh water fish.
Hopkins has a good selection of unique restaurants, especially along Mainstreet. For travelers on a budget Hopkins is home to quiet a few different fast food restaurants.
- Big 10 Restaurant & Bar, 1106 Mainstreet, ☎ +1 952 930-0369, . A collegiate sports cafe serving award-winning food including hot subs, fresh hand-pattied hamburgers, malts and shakes, wraps and chicken wings.
- Hoagies Restaurant, 824 Mainstreet, ☎ +1 952 935-2865. Full breakfast menu with homemade cinnamon and sticky rolls. Lunch includes a daily special along with homemade soups.
- Jasmine Garden Chinese Cuisine, 1601 Mainstreet, ☎ +1 952 931-0403, . Dine-in, carry-out and catering available.
- Munkabeans & Sunshine Cafe, 1206 Mainstreet, ☎ +1 952 938-9056, . Handcrafted sandwiches on homemade bread, soups, exquisite coffees, malts, shakes, sundaes, homemade bakery treats, and pizzas.
- Mainstreet Bar & Grill, 814 Mainstreet, ☎ +1 952 938-2400, . Great food with fun atmosphere, everything from bingo to live music. Homemade soup and daily specials.
- Pizza Luce, 210 Blake Rd N, ☎ +1 952 767-0854, . Since 1993, Pizza Luce has been a Twin Cities favorite. Innovative specialty pizzas, regionally brewed craft beer, vegan and gluten-free options.
- Samba: Taste of Brazil, 922 Mainstreet, ☎ +1 952 935-2708, . Authentic Brazilian cuisine and grocery. Live music on Thursday nights.
- Hopkins Tavern on Main, 819 Mainstreet, ☎ +1 952 933-1230, . Friendly sports bar--a great place to watch the next big game! Buzztime trivia, bar bingo, meat raffles, karoake, and more.
- Lindee's Saloon & Eatery, 919 Cambridge St, ☎ +1 952 938-1299. Features 2-for-1 Happy Hours daily, 3–6pm and 9–10pm. All-you-can-eat chicken and ribs everyday. Prime rib dinner Fri & Sat. Homemade soup and sandwich special at lunch.
- Tuttle's, 107 Shady Oak Rd, ☎ +1 952 938-4090, . Locally-owned family entertainment center with 24 bowling lanes, Shady Oak Grill, lounge with live entertainment, and more.
- Travelodge Hopkins, 1501 Highway 7, ☎ +1 952 935-7711 , . checkin: 3PM; checkout: 11AM. Provides rooms with extra services like free weekday newspaper, free fresh-brewed coffee in your room, free incoming fax service, no long distance access charges, and free cable.
In the Twin Cities metro
- Mall of America in nearby Bloomington. Minnesota has no sales tax on clothing.
- Valleyfair is an amusement park that's within an hour's drive in nearby Shakopee.
- Minnesota Zoo is in nearby Apple Valley.
- Minneapolis is only a five minute drive from Hopkins and offers plenty to do.