Hopkins is a city in the Twin Cities.
Until 1893, Hopkins was part of Minneapolis. That year, residents of Hopkins sent the Hennepin County Board of Commissioners a petition signed by 41 residents, asking that a separate village be formed. Following an election, the community was then incorporated as the village of West Minneapolis. In 1928 the village name was changed to Hopkins, and in 1948 Hopkins officially became a city.
Hopkins is a dynamic community of over 17,000 residents located just 13 minutes west of Minneapolis. Founded rich in tradition and growth, Hopkins offers the advantages and conveniences of a large City but yet the security of a small town.
The Minneapolis/St. Paul International Airport is only fifteen miles from Hopkins.
Highway 7 runs east-west through Hopkins and connects the city to Interstate 494 and Highway 100. Highway 7 also continues east into Minneapolis. Highway 169 runs north-south connecting the city to Interstate 694 and Interstate 394.
Most people travel by car in Hopkins. Metro Transit serves the Hopkins area with bus service and the schedule can be found on the Metro Transit website . Taxi service is also available by request, although it would be rather hard to hail a cab down from the street.
- Shady Oak Beach, 5200 Shady Oak Rd, ☎ +1 952 908-7083, . 76 feet of sandy beach shoreline, 2 sand play areas, water play area, sand volleyball court, concession stand, restroom/changing areas, canoe rental and fishing. $5.
- The Depot Coffee House, 9451 Excelsior Blvd, ☎ +1 952 938-2204, . The Depot is a renovated train depot that now serves as a coffee house, youth community project, and trailhead for area bike trails.
- Hopkins Center for the Arts, 1111 Mainstreet, ☎ +1 952 979-1100, . The Center is a focal point for arts, culture and entertainment. It is located in downtown Hopkins, within walking distance of several restaurants, antique and other shops and a movie theater complex. Parking is free.
Hopkins has the unique distinction of being the trailhead for the Southwest Regional LRT Trail and the North Trail Corridor. It also contains 18 parks and recreational areas, a large percentage of its 4 square miles.
- Meadowbrook Golf Course, 201 Meadowbrook Rd, ☎ +1 612 929-2077, . This is a very demanding course. It was built on gently rolling hills, and features tree-lined fairways and large greens. The course overlooks the scenic Minnehaha Creek. Water hazards come into play on five holes.
- Oak Ridge Country Club, 700 Oak Ridge Rd, ☎ +1 612 935-7721, . This course was built on hilly terrain, so you can expect many changes in elevation and uneven lies. $75.
- Stages Theatre Company, 1111 Mainstreet, ☎ +1 952 979-1123, . A theater for kids, by kids, with excellent local talent, fun shows, and a venue that is very family-friendly.
- Hopkins Cinema 6, 1118 Mainstreet, ☎ +1 952 931-7992, . 6 theater cinema. Open for matinees on Fridays through Sundays. Offers 'Terrific Tuesdays' where all tickets are $2.50.
Hopkins has a concentration of hard-to-find specialty shops and family-owned restaurants. Most businesses are located along Mainstreet.
- Baby Grand, 1010 Mainstreet, ☎ +1 912-1010, . Family owned and operated boutique, offers nursery furniture, strollers, car seats, custom bedding, unique gifts & more.
- Corset Boutique, 715 Mainstreet, ☎ +1 952 224-2495, . Offers head-turning woman's wear and knowledgeable stylists to help busy women look great for work and weekends.
- Heartstrings Bridal, 1605 Mainstreet, ☎ +1 952 932-9090, . Carries luxurious but affordable bridal gowns, bridesmaid dresses, tuxedos, accessories, etc.
- Moon Goon, 1007 Mainstreet, ☎ +1 952 933-9750, . The answer to your cries for stylish apparel, all in the freshest West Coast looks and low prices.
- Ah...Boheme!, 5 9th Ave S, ☎ +1 952 238-0950. Offering antiques, collectibles, memorabilia, and boutique gifts.
- Hopkins Antique Mall, 1008 Mainstreet, ☎ +1 952 931-9748, . 2 levels and 68 dealers provide a wonderful mixture of antiques and collectibles—the largest antique mall in the west metro!
- Blake Antiques, 901 Mainstreet, ☎ +1 952 930-0477. Nineteenth and early 20th century furniture, pottery, jewelry, silver and more from 50 dealers!
- Bud's Music Center, 820 Mainstreet, ☎ +1 952 938-6341. Music instruction and education, instrument rental and purchase, local CDS.
In the Twin Cities metro
- Mall of America in nearby Bloomington. Minnesota has no sales tax on clothing.
- Valleyfair is an amusement park that's within an hour's drive in nearby Shakopee.
- Minnesota Zoo is in nearby Apple Valley.
- Minneapolis is only a five minute drive from Hopkins and offers plenty to do.