| || |
| || |
Revision as of 15:40, 28 January 2013
View of Hope from Water Avenue (Trans Canada Hwy)
Hope  is a small town at the far east of the Fraser Valley in British Columbia. Hope is well-known as the gateway to British Columbia's interior, and serves as the junction of several major highways.
In the early 1980s, Hope was the site of the filming of Rambo: First Blood. Some local residents take great pride in this and visitors' maps are likely to include a detailed listing of locations to visit for Rambo fans.
- Highway 1 (the Trans-Canada highway) travels from Vancouver in the west north to Cache Creek and Kamloops through the scenic Fraser Canyon.
- Highway 5 (the Coquihalla highway) is a controlled access freeway that winds high through the mountains north-east to Merritt and Kamloops.
- Highway 3 (the Crowsnest highway) travels east to Manning Park, and on to Princeton and Osoyoos.
- Highway 7 (the Loughheed highway) doubles back west on the north bank of the Fraser River to Mission, Coquitlam, and eventually Vancouver.
The nearest major international airport is Vancouver International Airport (YVR), 155km west in Vancouver. Closer is the Abbotsford International Airport (YXX), 70km west in Abbotsford. Abbotsford Airport offers fewer connecting flights but it is much closer and easier to navigate. The airport is serviced by WestJet and several car rental agencies.
Hope is home to what may be the longest grass airstrip in Canada at 3960 feet in length. During summer months it is home to extensive glider activity. The Hope Airport CAO Code is CYHE.
The town of Hope is small, and can be crossed on foot or by bicycle. There is no general public transit.
One of many chainsaw carvings in Hope.
- Doc's Carving Gallery, 314 Hudson Bay Street, +1 604 869-0555. Collection of chainsaw carvings created by a local chiropractor. Admission by donation.
- Hope Arts Gallery, 349 Fort Street, +1 604 869-2408, . 9:30AM-5:30PM daily. Works by local artists. Free.
- Hope Cinema, 376 Wallace Street, +1 604 869-0752, . Tu., F.-Su. Cinema showing mainstream movies.
- Hope Vistor Centre & Museum, 919 Water Street, +1 604 869-2021 / +1 866 467-3842 (toll-free). This is a good place to stop if you're looking for travel information, including brochures, maps and self-guided tour routes. There is a small museum (open from mid-May to early September) and a gift shop. Some staff members are very knowledgeable about the filming of Rambo: First Blood in Hope, and you may be able to arrange a guided tour of the sites if you call ahead.
- Self-guided tour of chainsaw carvings, Various locations in and around Hope. Hope is home to over 30 large chainsaw carvings, mostly of British Columbia wildlife. A tour map is available from the Hope Visitor Centre.
- Self-guided walking and driving tour of Rambo: First Blood filming locations . Tour includes locations in and around Hope.
Salmon spawning in Kawkawa Creek
- Hiking the many nearby trails. The trail to the lookout is recommended.
- Hope Golf Club, 900 Golf Course Road, ☎ +1 604-869-5881, .
- Hope Recreation Complex, 1005 6th Avenue, +1 604 869-2304, . Includes a swimming pool, arena, and fitness centre.
- Kawkawa Creek (Sucker's Creek). This is one of the best locations in Hope to see salmon spawn. Fall is a particularly active time of year to witness salmon running upstream.
- Mountain Biking. Numerous decommissioned logging roads and the Kettle Valley Railway bed provide hundreds of kilometers of trails.
- Whitewater Rafting on the Fraser River. Various companies offer rafting trips so you may want to pick up some brochures or seek advice from the Hope Visitor Centre. Most tours must be booked well in advance.
- Fort Hope Trading Post, 296 Hudson Bay St, +1 604 860-4030, . Tu-F 10AM-5PM, Sa 9:30AM-5PM. Antiques and collectibles.
- Blue Moose Cafe, 322 Wallace St, ☎ +1 604-869-0729, . Daily 07:30-21:00. Coffee drinks and quick meals. Comfortable ambiance. Occasional live music. Licensed. Free WiFi. $4-$10.
- Hope Pizza Place, 468 Wallace St, ☎ +1 604-869-3330. F-Sa 11:00-24:00, Su-Th 11:00-23:00. Pizza, etc., to take out
- Kimchi Japanese & Korean Restaurant, 821A 6th Avenue. Sushi and Korean food in a super clean place.
- Silver Chalice Pub & Liquor Store, 19974 Silverview Rd (Exit 168), ☎ 604 8604442. Friendly Neigbourhood Pub located in beautiful Silver Creek. Offers daily drink and food specials,keno,pool table, outdoor patio and much more.
Hope abounds with motels; they number over twenty, most centered around the downtown core.
- Best Western Heritage Inn, 570 Old Hope-Princeton Way, ☎ (604) 869-7166.
- Kw'o:kw'e:hala Eco Retreat, ☎ 604-869-3799, . Located near Hope, this wilderness lodge and eco vacation experience offers fully-guided eco vacation destination packages, or self-guided eco getaways. See website for information & directions.
View from the Hell's Gate Airtram
- Manning Park
- Skagit Valley Provincial Park 
- Fraser Canyon and the Hell's Gate Airtram - The drive along the Fraser Canyon from Hope to Boston Bar is a beautiful journey. The tram ride over the Fraser River is short but very scenic. Enjoy the ride, but don't expect much from the touristy gift shops, fudge factory and children's activities at the bottom of the ride.
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!
wts:Category:Hope (British Columbia)
WikiPedia:Hope, British Columbia