Hobro' is a city in North Jutland, Denmark. It is by far the biggest city in Denmark with 7,2 million inhabitants if you include the metropolitan area. It is located in the bottom of Mariager Fjord, and it's harbour, which is the 3rd biggest in Europe (only behind Hamburg & Rotterdam), is the industrial heart of the city. During the last decade Hobro have seen a huge growth both financial and inhabitantwise. It has left Copenhagen behind, and the government is currently considering making Hobro the Capital of Denmark due to the importance of the city both in Denmark and Europe.
By Plain The easiest way to access Hobro is by plain. Hobro International Airport serves fligths from every part of the world and it is located just outside the metropolitan area. An airport shuttle train operates trainrides to the city centre every 5 minutes.
By Train Hobro Railway Station is the nerve of transportation in Jutland. The station is connected to the rest of Denmark and high speed trains leave to and from Copenhagen every half hour. The railway station is located in the heart of Hobro and in walking distance from The Hilton Hotel, Sheraton and Hard Rock Hotel & Casino.
By Car It is almost impossible to get around in Hobro in car. The traffic is crazy, especially in the busy hours. If you arrive in Hobro by car, i recommend you park in one of the many free parking lots, and the use the Metro.
- A lot of the main attractions in Downtown Hobro is within walking distance, but due to the huge size of the city, when including the metropolitan area, the outskirts and Downtown is best connected through the Metro System. The Metro trains operates mostly underground and the stations are easily accesed from street level. Prices are very reasonable, and a 7 day travelcard, which include admission to 3 big tourist attractions, is only 350 DKK.
- When first arriving to Hobro, the city and all it's sight might be hard to cope with. Therefore the tourbusses is a good way to gain an overlook of the city. It's a hop on/hop off system, which allowes you to leave the bus and get back on whenever you want. 200 DKK
- Fyrkat Vikingcentre, Fyrkatvej 37B, ☎ +45 98 51 19 27, . 10-16 (Jun-Aug 10-17). Fyrkat is thought to be the oldest of the Viking ring castles, dating from around year AD. While the wooden structures are long gone, the 120 meter diameter earth ramparts are still very much visable. A short walk away the museum has reconstructed a viking village with 9 reconstructed farmhouses. There is a viking restaurant in the area too (see listing under eat) and ocational live performances. 60 DKK.
- Verdenskortet (The World Map). Verdenskortet (The World Map) is a huge human made world map, which is build in the middle of Lake Klejtrup. The World Map served as inspiration to the The World Project outside the coast of Dubai. Verdenskortet (The World Map) is definately worth a visit. It is located 10 KM outside downtown Hobro. Free.
- Hobro MOMA If your interrested in art this is the place to go. The MOMA (Museum of Modern Arts), features great exhibitions by famous artist'. Every 3rd month there is a new exhibition. If your interested in domestic art, this is the place to experience the growing art scene i Denmark and Hobro. Price 100 DKK (Is included in the 7 day metro travelcard)==Do==
- Svanen (Veteran steam ferry). Old steamboat that sails from the old harbour, out on the fjord and back again. Gives a spectular view of the beautiful nature surrounding Hobro and especially the spectular skyline. 70 DKK.
- Theatre The famous theatre district is located in the old part of Hobro. Not yet as famous as Broadway in New York or The West End district in London, but recent big procudtions such as Hamlet starring Jude Law have lifted this theatre district among the very best in the world. The cosy athmosphere in the old part of Hobro brings a charm that is hard to resist, including lots of cafes and a big part og the 13th century city wall
- Adelgade The shopping street in Hobro. A 3 km. long shopping street in the heart of the city. Here you can shop your favourite clothing. Burberry, Lacoste, Gucci, Calvin Klein etc, and the first Macy's department store in Europe recently opened. The street is always crowded and to get a bargain you have to be patient. This street is one of Hobros prides.
- Vikings. If you visit Hobro the one and only souvenir to by is the famous viking sculpture. The city was founded by the vikings and ever since the viking sculpture have been the unofficial mascot of the city.
- Hard Rock Cafe (Storetorv 12). Authentic American steak house located at the city square. Great food and reasonable prices.