Hirtshals is an important ferry harbour in North Jutland, Denmark.
Color line Superspeed I
docking in Hirtshals ferry terminal
The European route E39 highway ends in Hirtshals, where cars can continue their journey via ferry to Norway. Nordjyllands trafik selskab route 224 connects to Hjørring serveral times per day. As does the private railway; Nordjyske Jernbaner every 30-60 minuttes throughout the day.
- Fjord Line, Trailerkajen 1, ☎ +45 97 96 30 00 (firstname.lastname@example.org). Runs a overnight route to Stavanger (11½ hours), continuing onwards to Bergen (19½ hours), both in Norway. The ferry departs Hirtshals Tuesdays at 14.30 and on Thursdays and Sundays at 12.30. Plus a departure just to Stavanger Saturday (8,5 hrs).
The lighthouse in Hirtshals
- Hirtshals Lighthouse (Hirtshals Fyr), Fyret 2, . 18 Jan-31 Dec 10AM-5PM. Built in 1862 and still in use. It is 35 meter and stands on a 27 meter mound giving a fantastic view of the surrounding countryside as well as the sea. 20 Kr, children 10 Kr.
- Nordsøen Oceanarium (North Sea Oceanarium), Willemoesvej 2, ☎ +45 9894 4188, . 9AM-5PM. Among the the biggest aquariums in Europe, with a massive 22x33 metre aquarium with more than 4.5 million litres of water and 2-3,000 fish from the North Sea. There is also a big outdoor aquarium with seals and a show area, and several smaller habitat and theme tanks. 130 Kr, children 55 Kr.
- Hotel Hirtshals, Havnegade 2, ☎ +45 98 94 20 77 (email@example.com), . Large hotel located right at the harbour in the city centre, in modern and newly renovated buildings around the old village inn. Doubles from 695 DKK in adjacent annex or 895 DKK in the Hotel, both high season..
- Hotel Strandlyst, Strandvejen 20, Tornby, ☎ +45 98 97 70 76 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . 40 rooms in a hotel from 1895 in a red brick building near the beach, also has a restaurant. Doubles from 795 DKK in high season including breakfast.
- Motel Nordsøen, Niels Juelsvej 32, ☎ +45 98 94 57 00 (email@example.com), . Family run, reasonably priced motel near the ocenarium Doubles from 575 DKK including breakfast..
- Munch's Hotel, Strandvej 31, Tornby, ☎ +45 98 97 71 15 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . A small beach front hotel with 5 rooms some 6 kilometres south of the city centre. The hotel also has a small restaurant with sea view, and rents out vacation homes in the same area. Doubles goes from 490/590 DKK low/high season..
- Skaga Hotel, Willemoesvej 1, ☎ +45 98 94 55 00 (email@example.com), . A large and modern 4 star hotel near the centre but away from the beach. Accepts pets for a small extra fee. Doubles from 1195 DKK in high season..