Hilton Head Island is in South Carolina, with an approximate population of 33,000. It is fairly close to Savannah, Georgia. It is located on a beautiful, semi-tropical 12 mile barrier island. It is a vacation playland with famous beaches and great golf courses that overlook the Atlantic Ocean.
- US 278. This US Highway is the main thoroughfare of Hilton Head and can be reached by Interstate 95, a primary interstate highway on the Eastern Seaboard.
- Savannah/Hilton Head International Airport, SAV. It is located near Savannah, about an hour away from the island.
- Hilton Head Island Airport, HHH, which is serviced only by USAirways Express, connecting through Charlotte, NC.
- A car is a near necessity in Hilton Head. Walking and biking paths are very limited, and most businesses are along 278 (known as William Hilton Parkway on the island).
- Harbour Town. Visit to see how the other half lives. Admire the multi-million dollar yachts in many different marinas and sailing in the Atlantic Ocean.
- Championship golf courses - There are almost too many to count. Among the best:** Harbour Town Golf Links - While it has one of the most expensive greens fees in the Hilton Head area, here you can play the same course as the pros, as Harbour Town hosts the Heritage (currently the Verizon Heritage) golf tournament every April.
- Hilton Head National - Just off the island on US 278, this course is a Gary Player design. It has 27 holes with the "original" 18 of a more traditional design, the newest 9 are the most challenging. Always in great shape, but also always very busy: expect 5 hour rounds and delays.
There are 280 restaurants that make everything from fast food to fine dining
- Kingfisher Seafood & Steak House, 11 Heritage Rd, 843 671-3412.
- The Quarterdeck, 843 671-2222. A seafood restaurant located in Harbour Town.
- Crowne Plaza Resort, 130 Shipyard Drive, 843 842-2400. Bountiful buffets at Brellas Café and fresh seafood at Portz restaurant.
Tapas Restaurant 11 Northridge Plaza 843 681 8590 best food on the island.
Chef featured in Bon Appetite Magazine. Cozy locals place. Incredible food.
Being such a popular vacation destination, Hilton Head has many lodging choices, including hotels such as the Crowne Plaza Resort below.
- Crowne Plaza Resort, . AAA Four Diamond family resort hotel South Carolina's "Lowcountry". A beachfront hotel located in the gated Shipyard Plantation, on the south end of Hilton Head Island.
A great and widespread accommodation alternative, however, is the vacation rental. Vacation rentals are available in many types, from large condo buildings to quaint homes, new and old.