| || |
a small city of some 35,000 inhabitants , in northern [[Zealand]], [[Denmark]], notable for its castle. |+|
'''Hillerød''' is small city of some 000 inhabitants for its castle.
| || |
Revision as of 14:51, 25 February 2011
Nestled between majestic beech forests, at the northern end of the s-train line from Copenhagen, Hillerød is the main regional centre and transport hub of North Zealand. The small city of some 30.000 inhabitants is for visitors above all known for its large impressive renaissance castle.
Hillerød is a small transportation hub for the area north of Copenhagen.
- Copenhagen Hillerød station is the north end of the S-train system Line E that runs between Køge and Hillerød through central Copenhagen. Leaves every 10 minutes during weekdays, and every 20 minutes in the evening and on weekends. Journey time is about 40 minutes between Hillerød and Copenhagen central station.
Almost all cities north of Hillerød are served by buses from the train station, below are some of the more useful lines for tourists.
- Roskilde Line 600S runs between Hillerød and Hundige via Roskilde, for access to the world heritage site Roskilde Cathedral, and the Viking Ship museum
- Frederikssund Lines 325 and 307 leaves about every hour on weekdays to Frederikssund by Roskilde Fjord.
- Rungsted Lines 382ERuns on the highway between Hillerød and Rungsted station near Øresund, on the kystbanen line, the Louisiana art museum is two stops on Kystbanen from Rungsted.
You can walk to the castle from the city or the station (15 minutes) or use bus 701 or 702.
From the station follow the signs down Vibekevej to the city or the castle.
There is a small ferry that goes between the caste and the main square. DKK 25.
Frederiksborg Castle, Knights Hall
☎ +45 4826 0439, (firstname.lastname@example.org), . Mid Mar-Oct: 10-17, Nov-Mar:11-15. 60 Kr.
Build by Frederik II in 1560. It in walking distance from the city and the station. Inside you can see the church, the halls, displays of old paintings. On the third floor is the modern collection with portraits and painting from 20th century Danish history.
- The Baroque Garden, . Do not miss the Baroque gardens started in 1720.
For a day of castles, you can combine this with a visit to Fredensborg castle and Kronborg castle in Elsinore, by catching the small private railway that runs between Hillerød and Helsingør which also stops in Fredensborg on the way. If you're visiting from Copenhagen, it is possible to return from Elsinore by the Kystbanen' railway.
Hillerød Folk Museums
- Bymuseet (Town Museum), Helsingørgade 65, ☎ +45 4826 4379. May-Oct Tu-S 11AM-4PM. Museum of local history for the last 600 years. 15 Kr, children below 18 free.
- Frederiksgade, Frederiksgade 11, ☎ +45 48 24 34 48. Tu-Su 11-16. In the old electric plant from the turn of the 20th century the museum administration has set up a nice temporary exhibition space with changing, but long-term, exhibitions, mainly themed around local history. Free/Varies.
- Husmandsstedet, Sophienborg Allé 9. A mini open-air museum which is mainly used in live history mediation for local schools. Its not meant to be a public museum but if you're really interested call the museum at +45 48 24 34 48 to organize a tour
- Æbelholt Kloster museum (Æbelholt Abbey Museum), Æbeltholt 4, ☎ +45 4824 3448. May - Oct: 11 - 16 (Monday closed).. The ruins of the largest medieval Augustinian abbey in the Nordic countries. The small museum on the grounds, has exhibitions about the medical history of the Augustinian order, including a garden with medical herbs, and some 300 skeletons on display! Once every year there is a middle age themed market day held, at the grounds around mid June.
- Annaborg, Frederiksværksgade 2A, ☎ +45 48 26 33 29, . Th-Su noon-16. Exhibition space in a beautiful neoclassical building from 1783, part of the building is occupied by the local Art Society which holds changing art exhibits and vernissages througout the year. Free. (55.935086,12.29658)
- Galleri Malling Beck, Hammersholt Byvej 21B, ☎ +45 4826 9991 (email@example.com), . Sa-Su 1PM-4PM or appointment. Art galleri primarily exhibiting local painterns.
- Adventure Park, Milnersvej 37 (behind 'Frederiksborg hallen'), ☎ +45 6088 7766, . This group has turned a 80,000 sq m area on the outskirts of Hillerød, into a fun adventure park, with a 1 km mountain bike track, numerous paintball scenarios, obstacle courses, tree climing etc. Mainly caters to groups.
- BioCity Hillerød, Ndr. Jernbanevej 8-10, ☎ 7013 1211, . Cinema. Before 6PM 70-80 Kr, from 6PM 80-90 Kr.
- Café Slotsbio, Frederiksværksgade 11C, ☎ +45 4826 0564, . Su-Th 7:30PM, F-Sa 7PM. Historical cinema run by volunteers.
- Hillerød Svømmehal (Swimming Pool), Milnersvej 39, ☎ +45 48 25 12 35, . M 13-19,W 9-23,Th 14-19,F 13-19,Sa-Su 10-17. Indoor swimmingpool with a 50 meter pool, 3 waterslides and springboards. Also have Reflexology and Massage avilable if you prebook. 35 Kr. (55.920940,12.301345)
- Klaverfabrikken, Fredensvej 12A, ☎ +45 48 26 74 57, .
- Støberihallen, Nordstensvej 1, ☎ +45 72 32 32 72, . A Cultural venue with treater performances and concerts and small art exhibitions in an old iron foundry. Price varies..
There are many options for souveniers near the castle.
- Sweater House, Slangerupgade 1 (close to the castle), ☎ ''+45'' 48255125 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . An impressive selection of woollen sweaters
- Slotsarkaderne, . M-F 10AM-7PM, Sa 10AM-4PM, first Su every month 11AM-4PM. Shopping center with more than 50 shops. The architecture and design are not as terrible as often seen.
- Rowdy Radios, . M-F 10AM-6PM, Sa 10AM-4PM. Custom built radios with funky designs. They make excellent gifts and are relatively cheap for Denmark.
- Babylon Café & Steakhouse, Slotsgade 59, ☎ +45 4824 5350, . Turkish and Greek cuisine Buffet 99 Kr, three course menu 199 Kr.
- La Perla, Torvet 1, ☎ +45 4824 3533, . M-Sa 11:30AM-midnight. Solid Italian food and quality wines, with the Italian chef singing in the kitchen. A little to the expensive side, but a cozy place. Main dishes 69-189 Kr.
- Slotskroen, Slotsgade 65, ☎ +45 4848 4966 (email@example.com), . M-Sa 11AM-4PM, 6PM-9PM; Su 11AM-5PM. Danish cuisine focusing on open sandwiches for lunch. Open sandwiches from 48 Kr, mains 168-188 Kr.
- Spisestedet Leonora, Frederiksborg Slot, Møntportvejen 2 (at the castle), ☎ ''+45'' 48267516 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . Summer 10AM-5PM, winter 11AM-4PM. Good lunch in a historical setting on the castle ground, next to the lake. from 60 Kr.
All the places listed below are on the main pedestrianized street running through the center. Expect mainstream pop music at all the places below, for a city this close to the capital the nightlife scene here is rather provincial, on the other hand it is usually a lively experience.
- Café Hoe, Slotsgade 47 (near the castle), ☎ +45 4826 6010, . Th-Sa 7PM-5AM. This long time favorite with the local high school students, gets rather crammed in the weekends. But usually a good atmosphere albeit rather youngish. Also doubles as the normal cafe during daylight.
- John F Kennedy Pub (Club Annabell), Torvet 4, (email@example.com), . This place is a cafe and eating place until it transforms itself to a pub around 7PM, has a lovely outdoor terrace in the summer, and hosts occasional jazz nights. Weekend nights the place takes a name change to 'Club Annabell' and doubles as nightclub. The minimum age of 21, keeps the usual soldiers and high school students away. Cover charge 50 DKK, Draft beer 35 DKK.
- Picadily, Torvet 5, ☎ +45 4825 2211, . Good sized place on the central square, occasionally breaks the monotony of mainstream pop although if the techno replacement is any better, you'll have to judge.
- Danhostel Hillerød (Hillerød Vandrehjem), Lejrskolevej 4 (Buses 701 & 702 to the 'Folevang' stop), ☎ +45 4826 9786 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . checkin: 10AM-8PM; checkout: 10AM. A large hostel in the forest on the outskirts of Hillerød, has bikes for hire. 160 DKK for dorm (only in summer) Rooms from 325 w/o bath.
- Hillerød Camping, Blytækkervej 18 (Buses 701 or 702 to the 'Frederiksgade' stop follow it, and turn down 'Åmosevej'), ☎ 4826 4854, . Camping grounds located quite close to the city center, also has small spartan cabins 7 sq m or 14 sq m with room for 2 to 4 people. 70 DKK for tent, or 270 for a small cabin.
- Hotel Hillerød, Milnersvej 41 (turn left after you exit the station, continue across the Intersection down Milnersvej), ☎ +45 4824 0874, . The city's only proper Hotel, there is a quite good restaurant in the basement. From 1010 DKK for a single.
- Sov Dejligt, Fredensvej 12, ☎ +45 40 81 19 08, . Bed and breakfast 350-1200 Kr.
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!