Hialeah is a city in the Florida Gold Coast region of Florida.
Hialeah is accessible from the 826 Palmetto Highway. The 103rd/49th Street Exit will take you to 49th Street, the major shopping thoroughfare in Hialeah.
Hialeah is easily accessible from the Miami International Airport. Taking Lejeune Road east will take you directly into the center of Hialeah.
- Hialeah Park, one of the most historic areas in Hialeah has been closed. Hialeah Park was opened in 1921 and was one of the first recreational sites in southern Florida. In 2001, the Park was closed to the public. Although it has been designated as a historical site, no work has been done to restore the facilities and the stables were demolished. For more information on how to sign a petition and about the site, visit Save Hialeah Park at Save Hialeah Park
- Amelia Earhart Park, at 4th Avenue and East 65th Street. A great park for families in Hialeah. This is a Miami Dade park, and it has great activities, including:
- The Bill Graham Farm Village, including a petting zoo of farm animals, a pony ring, with rides for children and an old fashioned general store.
- Bark Park, a five-acre recreational area for your furry friends, including a separate section for smaller dogs, to whom admission is free.
- Picnic Shelters, four with BBQ, 1 large corporate size and also 2 Tents.
- Junior Sailing Program, for kids from ages 9-15, which allows the children to become trained in sailing.
- Mountain Bike trails, including beginner, intermediate and advanced trails. There is also a playground for children, including swings, jungle gyms, etc.
The park is open from sunrise to sunset. For more information, visit Miami Dade.gov Parks website
- Milander Park, 47th Street and Palm Avenue. Includes an auditorium, soccer fields, baseball and softball diamonds, tennis, basketball and racquetball courts, and much more.
- Russell Bucky Dent park, 2250 W 60th Street. This park features a swimming pool, a playground and lighted tennis courts. Also on the property is a recreation center, which offers visitors several racquetball and basketball courts, a fitness center and a food concession.
- Babcock Park, 651 E. 4th Ave. features swimming in the aquatic center, playing sports on the soccer, football or baseball field, and making crafts in the recreation center. Also inside is a fitness center, a gym and a food area.
49th Street is the major shopping area in Hialeah. Westland Mall, a mall including stores such as Macy's, Victoria's Secret and Guess is located on 49th Street and 17th Avenue. Driving east from the Palmetto exit of Hialeah on 49th Street will expose you to strip malls and major stores such as Marshall's and TJ Maxx. Also, at 37th Street and 17th avenue, there is the Westland Promenade, with major chain stores like Target, Best Buy and Ross.
For more of a bargain, you can hit up the Opa-Locka Hialeah Flea Market, located at 127th street and 42nd Avenue. The flea market is open on Saturdays and Sundays from 5 am to 7pm.
Another must have visit for bargain shoppers is Flamingo Plaza, a plaza of shopping that consists of thrift stores, including Red White and Blue and the Salvation Army. These shops are located on East 10th Avenue and 9th Street in Hialeah, and are the best place to hunt for treasures, including furniture, vintage clothing, housewares, books, records, jewelry, etc.
There are several chains located on 49th Street, including Chili's (located inside of Westland Mall), Red Lobster, Denny's and Picadilly's.
- Roberto's Taco Shop, West 49th Street and 4th Avenue. One of the best spots for Mexican food in South Florida, which is also open 24 hours a day.
- Jerry's and Joe's Pizzeria, on 47 and Palm Avenue, one of the few places to get authentic New York style pizza.
- La Carreta, West 16th Avenue and 53rd Street. For authentic Cuban fare, a Hialeah/Miami institution, with great and reasonably priced Cuban cuisine.
One of the best watering holes and restaurants in South Florida is the Flanagan's chain, which has a location in Hialeah, located at 1550 W. 84th St. This is the best place hands down for a drink, bar food, and a burger or steak in Hialeah.
- Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites, 6650 West 20th Avenue, +1 305 362-7777, .