Hermanus is situated at South Africa's south coast, near the Garden Route.
Hermanus, a picturesque seaside town situated in the Overberg area and on Walker Bay, is a popular holiday village close to Cape Town. Two words come to mind: holiday & Southern Right whale watching.
The town, embraced by majestic mountaintops, is most famous for being the home of the Southern Right Whale. Every year these gentle creatures of the sea migrate along the coast of South Africa with Walker Bay as one of their destinations, to calve and nurture their young.
From the harbour of Hermanus, boat trips depart on a regular basis to see these majestic whales from up-close. One can also stay ashore as Hermanus is the best land based whale watching destination in South Africa, and possibly the world, especially during the Hermanus Whale Festival.
Apart from whale watching, the area of Hermanus boasts some excellent holiday accommodation such as the Misty Waves. Also, plenty of possibilities to spend the day in an active way: hiking, fishing, boating, horse back riding, and more.
Follow the N2 eastwards from Cape Town or westwards when coming from George and leave it near Caledon.
Go on a boat tour to see whales from very close. You might also see some from the coast and there is a whale watcher, who's only job is to spot whales that come along.
- Great White Shark Tours, Kleinbaai, South Africa (Follow the road through Hermanus to Gansbaai, turn right into Kleinbaai, our house is on the hill overlooking the harbour.), ☎ +27(0)833002138, . 8:00-18:00. Come and join Brian McFarlane on his boat - Apex Predator - on a face to face experience with the ultimate hunter, the great white shark. We offer cage diving, no previous experience needed, and surface viewing in the area surrounding Dyer Island, host to one of the most dense populations of great white sharks in the world. You'll have a chance to see great white sharks, penguins, dolphins, whales, seals and a variety of marine birds on this, the trip of a lifetime. R1250.
- Mosaic Farm, ☎ +27 (0)28 313-2814, . On the south side of the Hermanus lagoon. Magnificent setting looking across the lagoon to the mountain from the restored stone manor house, "The Spookhouse", or from luxury African style Lagoon Lodge.
- FrancolinHof Guest House, 44 10th Avenue, Voëlklip, Hermanus, ☎ +27 (0)28 314-0571 (firstname.lastname@example.org, fax: +27 (0)28 314-0587), . This four star guest house is the first to receive a Gold rating for Accessibility. From R410 per person, discounted in winter.
- Hermanus Seafront, 31 Tobago Bay, ☎ +27 (0)83 629-4259, . Self-catering accommodation, one-bedroom holiday apartment overlooks the sea - excellent for whale-watching or as a base to explore the region. From R600 per night.
- 19th Hole Guest Lodge, 281 Main Rd, Hermanus (Follow the main road towards Gansbaai, can't miss us! 281), ☎ +27(0)28 3122766, . checkin: 12:00; checkout: 11:00. 4 Star Bed and Breakfast situated close to the famous Hermanus cliff path which offers some the best land based whale watching in the world. The premisses was once the golf course club house and is therefor situated on the 27 hole Hermanus golf course. All 5 rooms are en-suite with french doors opening onto the golf course. The swimming pool area is ideal for relaxation and soaking up that South African sun. R900.