Heilongjiang Province (黑龙江省; Hēilóngjiāng) is in the far northeast of China. The province is famous for its fierce winters, snow and ice festivals and Russian influence.
- Harbin - capital of Heilongjiang Province and a city with Russian influence and a winter snow festival
This northeast province derived its name from the river (Black Dragon River) flowing along the border China has with Russia. A distinctive geological land form and peculiar climate combine to turn Heilongjiang into a fabulous tourist destination.
Landmarks and buildings
- Russian buildings — most prominent in Harbin shows the strong Russian influence in the area.
- Temple of Heavenly Bliss — in Harbin is an active buddhist temple.
Parks and nature
- Siberian Tiger Preserve — in the outskirts of Harbin is home to hundreds of tigers and is a must see.
- Zhaolin Park — in Harbin is home to the city's famous ice sculptures in the winter.
Museums and exhibitions
- Heilongjiang Provincial Museum — in Harbin is not great but big
- Harbin Festivals — Harbin International Snow and Ice Festivals (from 5 January until warm weather) are the main events in the province and worth planning for if you can stand the cold. Harbin is also home to a beer festival (late August) and a music festival (every two years, next one in 2010)
- Heilongjiang River — cruises on the river from Mohe and Heihe. Mohe has the best Aurora Borealis viewing in winter. It is also possible to take a swim in the river
- Skiing — there are a number of skiing resorts in the province, one of the best is in Wofoshan near Jiamusi
Heilongjiang food is part of the northeastern cooking tradition with many dishes originating from Manchu cuisine. The food here is influenced by the long winters and relies on preserved foods and hearty fare. The staple crop is wheat and not rice and more raw vegetables and fish than elsewhere in China are eaten here.
The most famous specialty from Heilongjiang is the fish banquet based on fish from Heilongjiang River.
The many different types of Russian-style bread.