Hattiesburg  is a city in Forrest County, in the Gulf Coast region of Mississippi. It is best known for being the home of the University of Southern Mississippi.
The Laurel-Hattiesburg Regional Airport (IATA: PIB) is served only by Delta Connection , from Memphis.
The closest full service airports are in Gulfport (about 1 hour 20 mins on US-49), Jackson (about 1-1/2 hours on US-49), Mobile (about 2 hours on US-98), and New Orleans (about 1 hour 45 mins on I-59).
Hattiesburg is at the midpoint of Interstate 59 that connects New Orleans and Meridian. Other major highways include US Route 49 to Jackson and Gulfport and US Route 98 to Mobile, Alabama.
The Crescent line of Amtrak has daily trains going south to New Orleans and north to Washington DC.
Public transportation in Hattiesburg is largely undeveloped. The best way to get around is by car.
Historic Downtown Hattiesburg Come to downtown to enjoy the classic architecture. Many small cafes and restaurants, many have great lunch specials. There are several shops along front street. Try the depot coffee shop for great coffee in a great atmosphere, right across the street from the Historic Train Depot.
- Hattiesburg is the home of the University of Southern Mississippi  with a vibrant campus that is home to approximately 16,000 students. The university offers doctoral programs and has extensive research programs, as well as offering undergraduate degree programs.
- Hattiesburg ZooCorner of Hardy st. and 17th Ave. 601 545-4576. Small fee. A small zoo that is home to llamas, monkeys, tigers and prairie dogs. A miniature railroad circles the zoo.
- Degrummond Children's Literature Museum University of Southern Mississippi campus. Mon-Fri 8AM-5PM.  Free admission. A collection of children's books and original art from over 1000 authors and artists.
- Longleaf Trace 39 miles of trail from Hattiesburg to Prentiss on a converted railroad bed. It is a multi-purpose trail used by walkers, joggers, bikes and horses.
- Golf Hattiesburg is home to some of the finest golf courses of the south.
- Chesterfield's, Temporarily closed, (601) 582-2778. Seafood, steaks, etc. Fresh Gulf seafood is excellent, especially the tuna or amberjack with crab and shrimp topping Moderate prices. Live entertainment.
- Leatha's Bar-B-Que Inn, 6374 US Highway 98W, (601) 271-6003, . Tu-Sa 11AM-9PM. Some of the best BBQ and steaks in Hattiesburg. Dining here is an "experience" - the restaurant is in a ramshackle house and the waitstaff serves you in their nightgowns. Moderate prices.
- Crescent City Grill, 3810 Hardy St. 601 264-0656, Sun-Thurs. 11AM-10PM, Fri & Sat 11AM-11PM. Moderate prices. Delicious New Orleans-inspired dishes in an upscale/casual atmosphere. Everything is delicious, from salads and seafood to appetizers and desserts. Award-winning wine list. Executive chef Robert St. John has published cookbooks and offers up cutting edge Southern delights.
- Jutamas, 910 Timothy Ln, 39401, (601) 584-8583. M-F lunch/dinner, Sa dinner, closed Sunday. Thai restaurant. Wonderful food. Excellent curries and soups. Try the Khai Jeaw (traditional Thai omelet), the Phad Thai, and the Tom Yum Goong. Moderate prices. Locally owned.
- McAlister's Deli 2300 Hardy Street and 122 Sheffield Loop.  Large sandwiches, huge stuffed potatoes, salads and tasty desserts, including Kentucky pie. Best iced tea around in a friendly, casual atmosphere.
- Donanelle's 49 South donanelles.com Steaks,Ribs,and Yellow-Fin Tuna.Great Atmosphere.
- Mugshot's Grill and Bar 204 N 40th Ave Hattiesburg, MS 39401. Voted best burger in Mississippi.*
- Bianchi's Pizzeria 128 East Front Street, Hattiesburg, MS 39401,(601) 450-1263. Great locally owned pizzeria. Great food in historic downtown Hattiesburg. Try the Spataro pizza.*
- Caliente Grille 3319 Hardy Street, Hattiesburg, MS 39401-6961,(601) 261-5423. Locally owned Mexican Grille. Great made to order burritos, tacos, and nachos. Affordable.
- Keg & Barrel 1315 Hardy St. Small pub with a laid back atmosphere, reasonably priced pub food, and broad beer selection. Both indoor and outdoor seating available.
- Mahogany Bar 3801 Hardy St. Attached to the Crescent City Grill, this is a local favorite for students from USM and others. The name describes the atmosphere with a little sports bar thrown in for good measure. Patio seating available as well.
- Thirsty Hippo 211 S. Main St. Small bar downtown with a wide variety of live music and a nice courtyard in the back.
- Best Western Northgate Inn, 6757 Highway 49, +1 601 268-8816, Fax: +1 601 268-8816, .
- Fairfield Inn Hattiesburg, 173 Thornhill Drive, +1 601 296-7777, Fax: +1 601 296-7777, .
- Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites, 10 Gateway Drive, +1 601 296-0302, .
- Motel 6 Hattiesburg-Univ of Southern MS, 6508 US Highway 49, +1 601 544-6096, Fax: +1 601 582-7743, .
|Routes through Hattiesburg