Hartebeespoort is a small town nestled between the Magaliesberg Mountains and Hartebeespoort Dam in the North West Province of South Africa.
Hartebeespoort is located close to the North West Province's border with Gauteng, within an hour's drive from Pretoria and Johannesburg
From Johannesburg, follow the R512 north, from Pretoria follow the N4 or R514 west.
The small town area can be explored on foot, but you really need a car to explore the whole area around the dam.
- The tunnel and dam wall.
- Hartebeespoortdam Aquarium, Located on the eastern side of the dam, close to Jasmyn, ☎ +27 (0)12 259-0080. 8:30AM to 5PM. See tropical and freshwater fish, crocodiles, seals and penguins. R25 entrance fee.
- Ultra Lux Travel, Agricultural Holding 375, Roux Street, Kameeldrift West, Pretoria, 0068, North West Province, South Africa, ☎ +27 82 872-8620, . Luxury Coach Hire
- Cableway to the top of the Magaliesberg mountains, On the R514, between Scott Street and the R511, ☎ +27 (0)12 253-1706 (email@example.com), . Open 10AM to 3:30PM Monday to Friday and 10AM to 5PM over weekends. View the dam and surrounds from the top of the mountain. There is also a restaurant at the base of the cableway. The Cableway is operational again and well worth it!! R30 per person.
- Elephant Sanctuary, (On the west side of the dam, just off the R512), ☎ +27 (0)12 258-0423 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . Groom an elephant and lead it around by it's trunk or explore the bush on the back of an elephant. From R325 per person, Elephant rides start at R250 per person ().
|This guide uses the following price ranges for a typical meal for one, including soft drink:
|| Under R60
|| R60 to R120
|| Over R120
- Arendskrantz, At the base of the cableway, ☎ +27 (0)12 253-1227 (email@example.com).
- Van Gaalen Kaasmakerij, ☎ +27 (0)12 207-1289 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . Dutch dishes and lots of cheese.
- Tangaroa Strawberry Farm, (On the R560, just past Van Gaalen Kaasmakerij), . Have a picnic on a working strawbery farm. Picnic basket for two from R175.
- Papa Jo', (Just ofter passing over the dam wall from Pretoria's side), ☎ +27 (0)82 410-3344. Very good pizzas.
|This guide uses the following price ranges for a standard double room:
|| Under R500
|| R500 to R1000
|| Over R1000
- Hartbeespoort Eco Lodge & Boutique Backpackers, Agricultural Holding 305, Birdflower Road, Kameeldrift West, Pretoria, ☎ +27 (0)76 864-1450 (email@example.com), . From R100 per night per person sharing.
- La Chaumiere Guest House, Just off the R512 between Lanseria and Broederstroom, ☎ +27 (0)12 205-1007 (toll free: 086 600 7329, LaChaumiere@absamail.co.za), . Relaxing country bed and breakfast.
- The Ring Oxwagon Lodge, (Just off the R511, between the N4 and Meerhof, clearly signposted), ☎ +27 (0)12 259-1506 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . Chalets (3 to 6 beds) and or sleep in a doublebed oxwagon. R280 per person Bed & Breakfast.
- Voelkop, (Just off the R556 towards Sun City), ☎ +27 (0)12 254-1157, . Clothing optional resort aimed at the gay market. From R170 per chalet.
- The De Wildt Cheetah Lodge, (On the R513 towards Pretoria), ☎ +27 (0)12 504-1921 (email@example.com), . checkin: 2PM; checkout: 11AM. R600 to R650 per person sharing ().
- Cocomo Guesthouse and Conference Centre, 16 Cannon Crescent (From JHB: Take the Hans Strydom road which becomes the Lanseria road.), ☎ +27 (0)12 259 0303, . checkin: 14:00; checkout: 10:00. R700. (25°43' 48.6'' S,28°11' 52.64'' E)