| || |
| || |
Revision as of 11:16, 12 January 2011
Hammond is a city in Lake County, Indiana.
- The Venue at Horseshoe Hammond, 777 Casino Center Drive, Hammond, IN, ☎ 219-473-6060, . This performance hall has hosted national and international comedians, singers, musicians, etcetera. You must be 21 since it is in the casino. It is only 3 years old and so it is very nice and new.
- Hammond Lakefront Park & Bird Sanctuary, (Take overpass from Route 41 towards the Horseshoe casino, then double back under the ramp to the guard shack for entry.), . Beautiful Lake Michigan beach access and woodland walking trail. Great for observing birds. Plenty of people swim here, and there are lifeguards in the summer. You can gaze out across the lake and see the Chicago skyline. (41º 41' 48.3,87º 30' 43.9)
- Cavalier Inn, 735 Gostlin Street, Hammond, IN, ☎ 219-933-9314, . 9:00am-8:00pm. Cavalier Inn serves many good Polish dishes, and many good burgers and roasts too. The bar has Polish beers and liquors. The inside is very pretty and there is a lot of parking adjacent. The restaurant is a pleasant, two-block walk from the Hammond South Shore Line train station, for those who want to take a day trip from downtown Chicago.
- Nick and George's Restaurant, 5850 Hohman Avenue, Hammond, IN, ☎ 219-931-6760. 7am-9pm. This legendary Hammond institution once existed downtown, just across State Line Road from Calumet City's famous nightclub strip. Now it is just south of the historic downtown across from beautiful Harrison Park. They do sell bottled beer. They have the best $25 steak dinner you could ever hope for. The pork tenderloin is half the price and maybe more delicious. The hamburgers and Italian sausage sandwich are great too, and their fries are famous. On a nice day, walk across the street and eat in the park.
- Dodo's Firehouse Tap, 521 Conkey Street, Hammond, IN 46324, ☎ 219-933-6646. 7am-3am. Dodo's is a fine place to drink alcohol. Old Style is on tap, and a small pitcher is $3.50. There is a jukebox, and you will hear many different tastes of music. There is a pool table and dart boards, and also refrigerated cases for take-away alcohol sales. The decor is the best Elvis memorabilia you can hope to see.
- Billy Bear's Bar & Grill, 1225 169th Street, Hammond, IN 46324, ☎ 219-844-1441. Noon-2am. Billy Bear's is also a good place to drink draft beer. They have Old Style and MGD, and a small pitcher is only about $3.00. There is also a pool table, and dart board, and jukebox that plays mostly Classic Rock. Decor is Harley motorcycles and bikers. Sometimes they close early so be sure to call ahead.
- Flat Rock Tap, 6732 Calumet Avenue, Hammond, IN 46324. 11am-1am. The Flat Rock Tap has a wider variety of beers on tap, although they charge much more per glass. They have fancy local beers like those from the Three Floyds Brewery, but also have European beers on tap and bottled. There is usually live music on Thursday nights.
The following hotels are located along Interstate 90, the Indiana Toll Road:
- Ramada, 4141 Calumet Avenue, +1 219 933-0500, Fax: +1 219 933-0506, .
- Super 8 Motel, 4111 Calumet Avenue, +1 219 932-8888, Fax: +1 219 932-1615, .
- Magnuson Hotel, 4000 Calumet Avenue, +1 219 933-0900, .
The following hotels are located along Interstates 80/94, the Borman Expressway:
- Best Western Northwest Indiana Inn, 3830 179th Street, +1 219 844-2140, Fax: +1 219 845-7760, .
- Courtyard Chicago Southeast/Hammond, IN, I-94 & Kennedy Avenue, +1 219 845-6350, Fax: +1 219 845-5265, .
- Fairfield Inn & Suites Chicago Southeast/Hammond, IN, 7720 Corrine Drive, +1 219 845-6950, Fax: +1 219 845-7655, .
- Motel 6 Hammond - Chicago Area, 3840 179th Street, +1 219 845-0330, Fax: +1 219 845-7012, .
- Residence Inn Chicago Southeast/Hammond, 7740 Corinne Drive, ☎ 219-844-8440, . checkin: 3PM; checkout: 12AM. Accommodations include fully-equipped kitchen with a refrigerator, microwave, and stove. Guests also have access to high-speed wired and wireless Internet access. $160.