Halberstadt is a town in the Harz Mountains in central Germany.
Halberstadt Is a town in the German state of Saxony-Anhalt, located at the northern foothills of the Harz and known as The Gateway to the Harz Mountains it is only a few minutes by car from the mountains. A town of about 50,000 people, travellers are welcomed from afar by the impressive towers of the 1200-year old Bishop`s Seat. The town was severely damaged in World War II, but retains many important historic buildings and much of its ancient townscape. Notable places in Halberstadt include the Liebfrauenkirche and St. Stephen Cathedral, churches built in the 12th and 13th centuries, respectively. Halberstadt is the site of the first documented large, permanent pipe organ installation in 1361. The cathedral is notable among those in northern European towns in having retained its medieval treasury in virtually complete condition. Among its treasures are the oldest surviving tapestries in Europe, dating from the 12th century.
Leipzig/Halle . The closest international airport to Halberstadt is Leipzig/Halle Airport, sometimes called Schkeuditz Airport, is 22km northwest of central Leipzig. The airport is the second biggest airport in Eastern Germany after Berlin. Halberstadt is approximately 135 Kilometres from leipzig/halle airport by road with an estimated driving time of 1 hour 40 minutes. Trains run between the airport and the city every 30 minutes; the trip takes 14 minutes.
Hanover. The next closest international airport to Halberstadt is Hanover airpot which is a main international airport with regular flights from all over the world with services to most European capitals and major cities. The airport is situated in Langenhagen which is 11 kilometres to the north of Hanover centre and has easy access to the autobahn. It is the ninth largest airport in Germany and is one of very few German airports which are open 24 hours a day, although there are very few flights between 11pm and 4am. The centre of Halberstadt is approximately 150 kilometres from Hanover airport with an estimated driving time of 1 hour 40 minutes. Hanover airport is also accessible by a combination of trains, buses and taxis. 
Braunschweig Airport is mainly a research airport,It is, however, currently served by Air Berlin (offering flights to Moscow) and Volkswagen Air Services, Volkswagen 's coprporate airline, with select destinations in Europe (currently Prague, Poznan, or Ingolstadt). Tickets can be booked through the respective airlines, or directly at the airport. Halberstadt is approximately 85 Kilometres from Braunschweig airport with an estimated driving time of 1 hour.
Halberstadt has a busy railway station which has regular trains travelling to both regional and national destinations. There are frequent daily direct connections to Magdeburg approx 40 minutes, Halle approx 1 hour 30 minutes and Hanover approx 2 hours.
A train timetables can be found at the following links.  
Halberstadt is served by both the B 79 and the B 81 which provide access from all directions and lead to the main regional road B 6 to the south. The B 6 in turn leads north west to the A 395 and Braunschweig or east to theA 14 which goes north towards Magdeburg or south to Halle and Leipzig.
- Halberstadt has around 9.5 kilometers of tram track which form 2 tram routes around the town. These trams can be accessed from any one of around 30 tram stops and used to travel around the area for a small charge. Timetables and prices can be downloaded at the following website.
- Halberstadt has 5 bus routes which cover the whole area and are available for use by visitors and locals alike for a small charge. Timetable and prices also at the above website.
By Historical Tram
- Hinter dem Rathause 6 ,Tel: 0049 3941 551815 Fax: 0049 3941 551089. A 1939 Tram with 40 seats can be booked for a 1 hour tour of the town at a cost of 129 Euro. This must be pre booked on the website.
The following link gives the name address and telephone details for 19 Halberstadt Taxi firms, many of whom are also available for airport transfer. 
- Berend Lehmann Museum, Bakenstraße 57, ☎ 0049 3941 583238, . Tues - Thur 12:00 - 18:00 hrs ,Fri,Sat 12:00 - 2200 hrs, sun 1200 - 1700 hrs. Established in 2001, on the 300th Aniversary of the Prussian state, this museum is concerned with German-Jewish history and in particular the difficult periods of Prussian-Jewish history. There is also a cafe on site for refreshments.
- Gleimhaus Halberstad, Domplatz 31, ☎ 0049 0 39 41 / 68 71-0, . Tue - Fr 9 -17hrs (May-Oct.) 9 - 16hrs (Nov. - Apr.) Sa / So 10 - 16 hrs (all year). This Literature Museum displays the collection put together in 1862 by the poet "Johan Ludwig Wilhelm Gleim" and is a must for fans of German Poetry and Literature 3 Euro.
- DDR Museum, Karl-Liebknecht-Strasse 1, ☎ 030/847 12 37 31, . Mon– Fri & Sun 10am–8pm, Sat 10am–10pm. Not technically part of Museum Island, but immediately adjacent, the hands-on DDR Museum, gives an upbeat look at daily life in the GDR – achieved partly by glossing over gloomy issues like censorship and repression. €6 or 4.
Places of Worship
- Der Halberstädter Dom St. Stephanus und St. Sixtus, . Mon - Fri 1000 - 1730, sat- sun 1100- 1730 hrs. The dom was built from 1236-1491 and is considered a Jewel of Gothic architecture. The two mighty towers typify renaissance and barock building skills.The Dom had 2 predecessors. one was the 859 karoling Build und the 922 Otto creation. The 600 Artifacts and treasures in the Dom collection make up the largest and most important collection of middle ages art in any German church. The Dom was severely damaged in 1945 nand was restored by Halberstadt architect Walter Bolze. 8 Euro.
- St. Burchardi church (Sankt-Burchardi-Kirche), . This little church has been playing a John Cage piece called Organ²/ASLSP (As SLow aS Possible) since September 5, 2001. The note played changes on average once a year, and the concert is scheduled to end on September 5, 2640. The next six dates when something happens are February 5, 2011; August 5, 2011; July 5, 2012; October 5, 2013 and September 5, 2020.
Places of Interest
- Cave dwellings of langenstein, Langenstein, at the southern rim of the Harz, . No Restrictions. Occupied as dwellings until 1916 these dwellings are unique within Germany. (Bring a torch) Free.
- Giant Wine Barrel, In den Spiegelsbergen 6, ☎ 0049 3941 583995, . Open daily from 11:00 clock Monday - Closed. . Located in Jagdschloss is Halberstadts entry in the Guinness book of records, namely the oldest and largest wine barrel in the world. Holding 140,000 litres it was built 400 years ago by Michael Werner from Landau, and was entered in the Guinness book of records on 6 june 2008. The barrel can be accessed via the Spiegelsberge Jagdschloss restaurant which opens daily from 1100 hrs
- Nordharzer Stadtebundtheater, Spiegelstr. 20a, ☎ 0049 03941/6965-49, . As Per Theatre Guide. For visitors who wish to experience German Theatre. There are details on the website of a frequent and varied programme of productions and tickets can also be ordered on the website or purchased directly in the theatre As Per Theatre Guide.
- Sport and Freizeitzentrum, Gebrüder-Rehse-Str. 12, ☎ 0049 (0 39 41) 6878 0, . The many facilities have different timings, the website gives a full list. Halberstadt has a large sports centre which consists of a sports and fitness area, a comprehensive water park, and a large wellness and beauty centre. Sportsand includes squash, tennis, badmington and a climbing wall as well as a comprehensive keep fit and weight training area. Sealand has 4700 square metres of water park facilities such as pools and slides etc. Sauna land offers a range of sauna experiences and beautyland completes the set with wellness facilities on offer
- Tiergarten Halberstadt, Spiegelsberge 4, ☎ 0049 3941 24132, . May - Sept. Mo - So 9 - 19hrs Oct. - Apr Mo - So 9 - 17 hrs. A Family friendly park which will provide a few hours entertainment for children and animal lovers. Open all year round, its occupants include camels,racoons,wolves, dingos, Lynxes as well as domestic animals and an area where visitors can touch the tame animals and feed them. There is also an amusing animal school show for visitors
Halberstadt town centre has the normal array of shops expected in a town of this size. C&A, indoor shopping malls, clothes shops like New Yorker and Orsay and electronic shops.
- Rathauspassagen Halberstadt, Centermanagement Holzmarkt 7, ☎ 0049 (03941) 573780, . Mon to Fri 9.00 - 20.00 hrs Sat 9.00 to 18.00 hrs. Located in the town centre is a modern colourful indoor shopping centre with a wide variety of shops catering for the majority of needs. visitors can utilise the free car park with 500 spaces and enjoy shopping in comfort for everything from groceries to clothes and electronics etc
- Parfümerie Flair, Fischmarkt 12, 38820 Halberstadt, ☎ +49 3941/446166. Experience all your perfumery desires in one location.
- Restaurant Olive, Bakenstraße 1, ☎ 0049 3941 625159, . Mo - Sa 12:00 - 14:30 hrs and 18:00 - 22:00 hrs , Sun 11:00 - 15:00 hrs and 18:00 - 22:00 hrs.. Situated in the middle of the Old Town this establishment offers a mouthwatering selection of mediteranian dishes. Brunch buffet can be had from 1100 - 1500 hrs, with lunch specials costing as little as 5 Euros. From 5 Euro.
- Restaurant Schwejk, Dr.-Crohn-Str. 1, ☎ 0049 3941 567922. Mon - Sun 1100 - 2300 hrs.. Hearty Bohemian dishes washed down with Chech beer is the order of the day in restaurant Schwejk at very reasonable prices, from 9 Euros for a main meal. There is also an affiliated butchers shop for those who wish to purchase fresh meats or German sausage.
- Milchbar, Spiegelstraße 63, ☎ 0049 3941 419603. Mon - Sat 1400-2200hrs , Sunday 1400 - 1900 hrs.. This 80 seat restaurant specialises in confectionery, fruit and ice cream ,but also offers a selection of hot meals
- Restaurant Theatre Cafe, Straße der OdF 38, ☎ 0049 3941 623188. Mon - Fri 0900-1500 or 2 Hours before theatre shows. Located at the Theatre (entrance through EDEKA carpark) this cafe also specilises in home made cakes and ice cream and has seating for 80 , Tour groups are welcome
- Zum Johannestor, Westendorf 52, ☎ 0049 3941 604643. Tues - Sat 1100-1400 hrs and from 1800 hrs, Sunday 1100 - 1400 hrs.. This charming little restaurant is located in a building dating from the 16th Century and offers local dishes using local produce. Tour groups should book as seating is restricted to 34
- Restaurant Alt Halberstadt, Voigtei 17 - 19, ☎ 0049 3941 600622. Tues - Sat From 11:00 hrs, Sun 11:00 - 16:00 hrs.. Offering freshly cooked traditional German food in an atmosphere which gives a flavour of the history of Halberstadt. The walls of this beautiful old building are decorated with historical pictures of halberstadt
- Jagdschloss Spiegelsberge, In den Spiegelsbergen 6, ☎ 0049 3941 583995. Tues - Sun from 1100 hrs ( Monday closed).. This beautiful building boasts a full range of traditional German cuisine and is worth a visit just to admire the Building itself. as an added bonus you can get to see the worlds biggest and oldest wine barrel (as seen in the guinness book of records)
- Ristoranti Rossini, Voigtei 27, ☎ 0049 3941 4193233. Wed - Mon 11.00 - 15.00 and 17.00 - 23.00 hrs (Tues-closed).. A typical Italian restaurant, popular with the locals and serving a selection of Piza ,Pasta and Meat dishes at affordable.
- Bodega El Papagayo, Holzmarkt 1, ☎ 0049 3941 609515. Daily 11.30 - 14.30 hrs and from 18.00 Uhr.. This Spanish restaurant will tempt your taste buds with Tapas and paella as well as the speciality of the house "El Sombrero"
- Brauhaus Heine, Große Ringstraße, ☎ 0049 3941 31800, . This beautiful historic building boasts a 4 star Hotel which has a large wellness centre and is also suitable for functions or conferences.It has an excellent international reputation and comes highly recommended. The luxurious dining room serves a full German and international menu. From 74 Euro.
- Zur Ratslaube, Holzmarkt 1, ☎ 0049 3941 625285. For a nice cold German beer enjoyed in a nice atmosphere, or even a Coffee, then this attractive Gasthaus comes highly recomended and has a beer garden, ample seating and a car park. Daily from 1100 hrs..
- Gastatte Bullerberg, Am Bullerberg 3, ☎ 0049 3941 24278. Wed - Sun from 1000 hrs. Monday and tuesday - by private arrangement.. Also boasting a beergarden and a relaxing atmosphere is this in 1720 established Gasthaus. It is located at the lowest part of the town and also serves a good selection of food. Bullerberg is especially suitable for large groups or seminars as it can seat up to 800 people in various function rooms.
- Gastatte am sommerbad, Gebrüder-Rehse-Str. 10, ☎ 0049 3941 443123, . A unique Gasthaus and restaurant built in a disused swimming pool with room for 150 guests inside and 70 outside. A comprehensive food menu is available to guests also
- Hotel Ambiente, Gröperstraße 88, ☎ 0049 3941 586-650, . checkin: 1400hrs; checkout: 1100hrs. This 3 star hotel is situated 1.5 kilometres from the town centre. It offers spacious modern rooms, a WI FI hot spot and a restaurant. From 49 Euro.
- Altstadt Pension Ratsmuhle, Hoher Weg 1,, ☎ 0049 3941-573790, . A simple hotel offering accommodation only from 38 euro per single room and 61 euro for a double.all rooms have TV, Pets are welcome, and a breakfast buffet is provided. From 38 Euro.
- Pension Raspe, Schäferberg 22, ☎ 0049394130160. Rooms here start at 19 euro for a single and 38 euro for a double. This is basic accommodation for the traveler on a limited budget From 19 Euro.
- Nienhagener Hof, Ernst-Thälmann-Str. 2. Double rooms only available for 48 euro. Simple food is also available at the bar. From 48 Euro.
- Pension Lindemann, Halberstädter Str. 8, ☎ 00493941-27152. Single rooms from 35 euro, double rooms 50 euro - all rooms with TV, plenty of free parking available. From 35 Euro.
- Pension am wasserturm, Bergstr. 11, ☎ 00493941-584787, . Single rooms 18 euro ,double rooms 47 euro. free parking and internet. From 18 Euro.
- Hotel Abtshof Kaffeepott, Abtshof 27 a, ☎ 0049 3941 68830, . Situated in the Old Town, this charming little hotel has 12 double and 10 single rooms together with a restaurant and beergarden. Rooms are very affordable with a weekend (fri- Sun) offer starting at 99 Euros, and special Biker holiday rates. From 45 Euro.
- Brauhaus Heine, Große Ringstraße, ☎ 0049 3941 31800, . This beautiful historic building boasts a 4 star Hotel which has a large wellness centre and is also suitable for functions or conferences.It has an excellent international reputation and comes highly recommended. The luxurious dining room serves a full German and international menu and single rooms start at 74 Euros From 74 Euro.
- Parkhotel Unter den Linden, Klamrothstr. 2,, ☎ 0049(0)3941-6254-0, . With rooms starting at 88 Euros, this 4 star hotel was renovated completely in 1992/3 and boasts of architecture and decoration in "English style". It also has beautiful gardens and a large restaurant which caters for all tastes From 67 Euro.
For wifi and internet please visit Harzer Kaffeehaus Löper, Trillgasse 2, 38820 Halberstadt.
Many of the hotels and guest houses offer internet or wifi access.
- Blankenburg is a town and health resort in the district of Harz
- Braunlage is a health resort and one of the centres for winter activities in Harz.
- Goslar Street after street of beautifully-carved, half-timbered houses, in fact, this town has the largest number of old houses in Germany, 1800 of them!
- Quedlinburg charming mediaeval city in the Harz mountains with elaborately restored half-timbered houses
- Schierke is a popular place to start or finish a walk to the Brocken mountain via the Goetheweg or the Glashüttenweg.
- Stolberg is an ex-mining community with buildings going back to the 8th century
- Thale in a strikingly beautiful river gorge. There are miles of wonderful hiking trails starting from the town.
- Wernigerode' in the Harz foothills' has half-timbered houses, a castle, and a steam-powered narrow-gauge railroad that will take you to the Brocken
|This is a guide article. It has a variety of good, quality information including hotels, restaurants, attractions, arrival and departure info. Plunge forward and help us make it a star!