Greater Poland (in Polish Wielkopolska) is a lake district in west-central Poland in the Voivodship (province) Wielkopolskie.
The main (and in terms of passenger traffic) airport in the region is Poznan airport Lawica, situated very close (7 km) from the city centre, offering connections to more than 20 destinations accross Europe, including e.g : London, Frankfurt, Munich, Dublin, Paris, Rome, Amsterdam, Stockholm, Malmo, Copenhagen, Barcelona, Edinburgh. If your region is not connected by plane with Poznan, you can try other airports in surrounding polish regions : to Wroclaw (Breslau), Bydgoszcz or even Warsaw, that has very good train connection with Poznan.
Up-to-date flight schedule at Poznan Lawica Airport.
Region has very good connections with most other polish regions as well as some cities abroad. Its main (what doesn't mean, that's the only one) rail junction is Poznan, offering many inter-city and international connections :
- Berlin : 4 times a day BWE (Berlin-Warsaw-Express) train - travel time ca 3 hrs
- Kiev : 1 daily, ca 22 hrs
- Munich, Amsterdam, Basel, Koeln : 1 EuroNight train daily
- Warsaw : more than 15 daily, a little bit less on weekend days, mostly InterCity, EuroCity or express trains (ca 3 hrs)
- Szczecin : 10-12 daily (only fast and express trains) (2hrs30)
- seaside resorts : Kołobrzeg / Koszalin / Słupsk : up to 8 daily (in summer season), including 2 slow trains (appr. 5hrs)
- Gdansk (calling at Gniezno, Inowrocław, Bydgoszcz) : 6-8 daily (only fast trains - appr. 5hrs30) + 2 slow trains to Bydgoszcz (appr. 3hrs)
- Olsztyn (calling at Gniezno, Torun) : 3 daily (only fast trains - 5hrs)
- Lodz : 6 daily, mostly slow trains (4hrs30)
- Kraków (Cracow) (mostly calling at Wrocław, Opole, Katowice) : up to 10 daily (7hrs), including 4 going further to Przemyśl (appr. 11hrs)
- Katowice - up to 12 daily (a bit more than 5hrs)
- Wrocław (calling at Leszno) : more than 20 daily. A great choice of slow, accelerated, fast and express trains (from 2 to 3 hrs)
- mountain resorts in Sudety Mountains : Szklarska Poręba : up to 3 daily, Kudowa Zdrój - as well 3 daily (6 hrs)
- famous mountain resort in Tatra Mountains - Zakopane - 2 overnight trains in summer and winter season (10 hrs)