Revision as of 13:15, 17 November 2006
Grand Bahama is a island in the Bahamas
- Freeport / Lucaya
- West Grand Bahama
- East Grand Bahama
The 6 eco-systems of Grand Bahama Island are:
- Pine Forest
- Blackland Coppice
- Rocky Coppice
- Mangrove Swap
- Whiteland Coppice
- Beach / Shoreline
- Port Lucaya Marketplace, Sea Horse Road on Bell Channel Bay, Phone: 242-373-8446, . Duty free shopping in over 80 stores in 12 buildings overlooking the Bell Channel Bay marina. The marketing place is the hub of Port Lucaya.
- Lucayan National Park, The crown jewel of the 3 of the national parks on Grand Bahama. Lucayan National Park is the only place in the Bahamas where you can see all six of the islands’ ecosystems. It is also home to one of the longest underwater limestone caves in the world.
- Rand Nature Center, Outside downtown Freeport, Phone: 242-352-5438. Open 9am - 4 pm Monday to Friday (Closed on Saturday & Sunday) This national park is named for James Rand and was established as the first nature education center to preserve the habitat of Grand Bahama. People flock here (no pun intended) to see the resident Flamingo colony. $Admission $5 adults, $3 children 5-12, children under 5 free.
- Peterson Cay National Park, Peterson Cay is the prefect getaway for a day trip / picnic. It is located 1 mile off the south shore and is only accessible by boat. Boaters are instructed to anchor in specific areas away from the coral reefs. All plant and animal life within the park boundaries is protected by law. Fishing, shelling and damage to or removal of any coral or is strictly prohibited. Garbage disposal and leaving ash coals / embers is also prohibited. Take only pictures, leave only footprints
- Garden of the Groves, Midshipman Road and Magellan Drive, Phone: 242-373-5668. Open daily 9am-4pm. A nature preserves that is home to over 10,000 trees, flowers, waterfalls, and lakes. The new management has introduced several varieties of exotic birds and animals to the park. $Admission $10 adults, $7 children 3-10, children under 3 free
- UNEXSO Dive Center, Royal Palm Way, Phone: 242-373-1244 (Make reservations from the US or Canada: 800-992-DIVE), . UNEXSO provides activities for both experienced and non-experienced SCUBA divers. They also have different kinds of "swim with the dolphins" activities as well. Some activities require a 1 day advanced registration.
- Pelican Bay Hotel At Lucaya, Seahorse Road, Port Lucaya, Phone 800-852-3702, . The Pelican Bay Hotel is in Port Lucaya, 5 miles from Freeport. The hotel is next to the Port Lucaya Marketplace and the UNEXSO facility and the resort juts into Bell Channel Bay overlooking two marinas. This resort has been described as perfect for those with champagne taste on a beer budget!
- Viva Wyndham Fortuna Beach Resort  CHURCHILL DRIVE & DOUBLOON ROAD. Tel. +1 (242) 373-4000. Fax. +1 (242) 373-5555. Grand Bahama's only truly all-inclusive resort located on the south coast of Grand Bahama Island. Nestled on 23 acres of prime beachfront property with 1,200 feet of white sandy beaches at your fingertips.