Goring and Streatley are twin villages in the Chilterns Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty on the boundary of Berkshire and Oxfordshire, in England. Strictly speaking Goring is in Oxfordshire and Streatley in Berkshire, but as everything in both villages is in reasonably easy walking distance of everything else it seems better to deal with as one.
The two villages cluster around a bridge across the river Thames, with an adjacent lock and weir. Both villages have their fair share of quaint thatched cottages and pubs.
What distinguishes these villages from many others on the river Thames is their location in the 'Goring Gap', a geological feature where, during the last ice age, the river forced its way between the Chiltern Hills and the Berkshire Downs. As a result the valley is much narrower, with some spectacular views from the tops of the surrounding hills.
Goring has a rail station on the Reading to Oxford line. Train times from either place can be found on the National Rail Planner or by calling 0845-748-4950 from anywhere in the UK.
Alternatively the villages are about 8 miles north-west from Reading on the A329, or about 16 miles south of Oxford on the same road.
All locations in and around the villages are walkable or drivable.
- The views from Lardon Chase over the villages and Goring Gap. From the bridge, walk or drive uphill on the Streatley side to the Bull pub, and then continue down the side of the pub up the steep hill to the car park at the top. Lardon Chase opens out to the right; walk to the end for the best views.
- Views of the Thames, a series of walks from Goring Railway Station, from 4 to 10 miles in length. Leaflet available by calling 01844-271316 or from the website.
Eat & Drink
- The Bull, Reading Road, Streatley, 01491-872392. This pub in Streatley is a very food oriented pub, with excellent fare at moderate prices. Not to mention the rather gruesome burial site of a monk and a nun executed in 1440 for 'misconduct'. From the bridge, walk or drive uphill on the Streatley side until you reach the pub at the cross-roads.
- Streatley Youth Hostel, Reading Road, Streatley , 01491-872278. Run by the Youth Hostels Association of England & Wales. £10-14.
- The Bull pub in Streatley (see above) also does bed and breakfast in a range of cottages alongside the pub garden. £59-79.