Gondar (also spelled Gonder) is a city in Ethiopia.
There is a mid-sized airport in Gondar. Ethiopian airlines has daily flights to the city - usually
leaving Addis around 0700. Flights are also available to/from Axum, Lalibela, and Bahir Dar.
- The blue and white minibuses run through the city, effeciently. There are also some horse drawn
taxis , called garis. Both are inexpensive.
- You also can contract a small blue colored taxis, for a day, week or few days, during your visit.
- Gondar Castle a tiny version of Camelot. It costs a steep 50 Birr - price includes a guide but he will also expect a tip.
- Debre Birhan Selassie Church a short way out of town, is worth a visit to see its amazing
ceiling. It is priced at 25 Birr but a student reduction is possible.
- Roman Hotel, not too expensive and excellent value, try their tibbs wate. They serve meat even during lent.
A number of options are available. Prices start at 20 Birr for very basic rooms.
- Meat house is a bar, brothel, butcher, restaurant and hotel with a charming atmosphere for only 20 Birr a night.
- Roman Hotel, from Birr 60 (single self-contained), no water, excellent food, meat during lent
The walled city of Fasil Ghebbi near Gondar is on the UNESCO World Heritage List.