Golden Bay is a very beautiful, relatively untouched and quiet corner of the South Island of New Zealand that is often overlooked by travelers.
Golden Bay is where Abel Tasman and his crew, the first European explorers to "discover" New Zealand, landed in 1642.
Drive over the Takaka Hill.
- Beaches. Golden sand - what else - in bay called golden.
- Pupu spring. One of the largest, by volume, fresh water springs in the world.
- Farewell Spit. A long sand dune reaching far into the water
- Cape Farewell. The northern most point of the South Island
- Wharariki Beach. A spectacular beach close to Cape Farewell
- Whanganui Inlet. A very remote inlet on the west coast. Drive further south to Anatori for spectacular beaches and rock formations
- Walk the Heaphy Track to Karamea.
- Go Caving in Harwood's Hole and other cave systems in the area.
- Te Anaroa Caves (rockville), 526 Plain Road Rockville. (Sign posted from Collingwood), ☎ 0275248114. 350 meter long family caving experience for all. No ropes or hassles. $10-$50. edit
- Salmon Fishing @ Anatoki Salmon Experience the thrill of catching your own food. Come find a magical spot on Lake Anatoki to cast your line and land your lunch. Only pay $22.00 per kg/catch. Free use of fishing equipment. Fully licensed Café and beautifull surroundings. Only 7 minutes from Takaka town centre - 242 McCallum Road - 03 525 7251 - http://www.anatokisalmon.co.nz - Just follow the brown Road signs - Next to Wild Earth nature park.
- Cape Farewell Horse Tracks It gives you views of all of Farewell Spit and, as you look out to sea, if you are really lucky, you might spot a whale. 23 McGowan Street, Collingwood - 03) 524 8031
- Walk the Abel Tasman track from Golden Bay to Kaiteriteri.
- Wholemeal Café How about a good wholesome organic meal? And what better place to find it in main st Takaka. Open and spacious, upstairs to relax on the comfy couches or out side on the decking - 60 Commercial Street Takaka - (03) 5259426.
- "Anatoki Salmon Fishing & Café" - Great selection of Salmon related food served in a beautiful environment - great value for money - Open Year Round. 242 McCallum Road, Takaka - (03) 525 7251.
- "The Dangerous Kitchen" - Our ‘dangerous kitchen’ is a legendary street-front café’ in the heart of Takaka in Golden Bay. Global flair and warm atmosphere make it a meeting place for colourful locals and people from near and far. Relax outside covered from rain or sun, or in our beautiful back garden with a pint of beer or an Italian wine. 46A Commercial street, Takaka (0)3 525 8686
- The Mussel Inn beers and cider, either drink them on location at Onekaka or purchase a bottle from the supermarket in Takaka.
- Schnapp Dragon Distillery Located in Takaka, just one and a half hours north of Nelson it has a huge variety of locally made spritis. All made from fresh fruit found in this corner of paradise with a unique lifestyle - 46 Commercial Street, Takaka - http://www.schnappdragon.co.nz
Before you get off the road and go off exploring the great outdoors let someone know where you are going and when you will be back. Do not underestimate this land and the risks that it presents to the ill-prepared traveler. If you have any doubts, seek out a local guide familiar with the area you intent to explore.