Gijon  (Spanish: Gijón) is a coastal city in Asturias province in northwest Spain. It lies close to the cities of Aviles and Oviedo.
The weather in Gijón is not like much of the rest of Spain. Gijón is on the northern coast of Spain were it is wet and very hot in summer.
You can get to Gijón by plane at the airport in Avilés (OVD) (about 30 minutes by bus or car from Gijón), by train with the Spanish company RENFE, by car, by bus with ALSA or by boat.
The climate of Gijón may be defined, in this sense, as being temperate, with an average annual temperature of 15º and slightly varying annual average maximum and minimum temperatures.
Rainfall ranges between 800-1,000 mm/year, fairly regularly distributed, with the absence of very dry periods and the non-existence of heavy concentrations of rainfall at specific times of the year.
Both variables, temperature and rainfall, are slightly modified at the southeastern border of the Borough, where the highest altitudes are to be found: the temperatures decrease and the rainfall increases.
The first inhabitants of Asturias, arrived 250.000 years ago. Some neanthertal remains are from Paleolithic, and others belongs to the “Asturiense” period, local culture between 7000 and 5000 b.c. One of the most important neanthertal remain are Mount Areo dolmens.
Seaport to the Ruta de la plata, Gijón keeps its Roman past alive through the actions taken in the Campa de Torres Archaeological Site, one of the main fortified settlements of the north of Spain (before 490 B.C.), and especially in the restored baths complex at Campo Valdés, a public building which dates from the end of the 1st century A.D.
The territory was occupied continuously during the Middle Ages, proof of which is the Romanesque churches dating from the 12th and 13th centuries. The founding of the Puebla (Village) in 1270 implied an urban expansion that was to come to a standstill at the end of the 14th century, when Gijón became the stage for the Trastámara conflicts, during which the town was almost completely destroyed.
In the 18th century, the erudite Gaspar Melchor de Jovellanos laid out the plans for the development of Gijón. The process of industrialisation begun in the mid-19th century changed the city into the industrial centre of Asturias, with its leading El Musel Port, shipyards and numerous manufacturing installations.
The progressive modernization of the city, along with its own excellent natural conditions, has turned Gijón into a city that attracts a growing number of visitors, drawn by a good offer of culture and sports and a strong service sector. Now, at the beginning of a new century, Gijón is doing its utmost to preserve its remote historical past and to display this as an example of its touristic excellence.
You can visit the city by car, on foot, by bicycle through its bike lanes or by Segway, personal transport with autobalance. You can rent segways on the city and make guided tours around it.
The city has inter-city buses. The ticket costs 1.10€. During Eastern Holidays and Summer you can enjoy the city on a touristic buswhich makes a route with stops on the principal tourism resources like Railway Museum, Isabel La Catolica Park, Laboral City of Culture, Botanical Gardens.
On the Tourism Offices you can get information about Gijon Card tourist pass, Gijon Gourmet Voucher, museums timetable…
One of the information offices is located on the harbor, it has infotelephone, videocall and Bluetooth services: +34 00 985 34 71 and +34 00 902 01 35 00 (if you have 3G mobile, you can make a videocall). Email:email@example.com
If you are planning to come to the city, you can get the information of all tourism editions to make you an easier and pleasant trip. You can fill the guides form and we will send you the editions you ask for: Gijon Cimavilla, Green Gijon, Rural Gijon, From Gijon to Covandonga, industrial tour, gastronomy on Gijon, Gijon goloso, Gijon gourmet, audio guides of Gijon…
Gijon is a good place to visit because of its Roman past, its museums, its sculptures and architecture. It is a green borough, its gastronomy is unique, it offers quality commerce, and it has exceptional location next to the sea and on the center of Asturias. You can make the following cultural tours:
Cimavillaliving history in Gijón
the city of sculptures
the romanesque in Gijón
the way of St. James
Roman thermal baths
Veranes Roman Town
Archaeological & Natural Park Campa Torres
Pueblu d'Asturies Museum
Nicanor Piñole Museum
Evaristo Valle Museum
Asturian Railway Museum
Birthplace of Jovellanos Museum
Ciudadela of Celestino Solar
Fundación Alvargonzalez- Antigua rula- Ateneo de la Calzada- Ateneo Obrero- Biblioteca Jovellanos- Casa del Chino- Café Gijón- Capilla de San Lorenzo- Centro de cultura Antiguo instituto- Centro de cultura Palacio de Revillagigedo- Centro de exposiciones Muralla Romana- Centro de Recursos Mocedá
- Colegio de Arquitectos
- I.N.B. Jovellanos
- Monte de Piedad
LABORAL CITY OF CULTURE
Located on the old Laboral University of Gijon, it is a creative community with more than 4.000 students and researchers. The building was created in the mid XX century to offer worker’s children vocational training. LABoral Art Center and Industrial Creation is a place where you can enjoy art, design and industry. It has also a theatre which offers modern spectacles.
- Acuario de Gijon - The Aquarium
- The Marina
- Museo de ferrocarril - Train museum (not open on Mondays, free entrance on Sundays).
- You can start your day with a walk along the San Lorenzo`s beach and stop to have breakfast in any cafeteria.
- Semana Negra Festival in July.
- Casino de Asturias - Also a concert venue.
- Go Karting in the Los Fresnos Centro Comercial on an indoor, multi level track.
The seafood is excellent in Gijón.
- Drink Cider (called sidra) is the local beverage of choice in Gijón.
- La Casona de Jovellanos, Plazoleta Jovellanos, 1, 33201 - Gijón - Asturias, Spain, . La Casona de Jovellanos offers travelers and guests a comfortable and cozy accommodations. El Chigre, their famous restaurant offers unique environment for people who appreciates good food. They serve good home cooked meals and you'll get the chane to taste the traditional dishes offered only in Asturias. Best rates on official website″.
- Mirador de Deva Hotel, Deva - Serantes, Gijon, Asturias, 33394 , Spain, ☎ (00 34) 985131578. AMirador de Deva Hotel is in the district of Deva in the coastal industrial city of Gijón in Asturias. Museo de la Gaita, Nicanor Piñole Museum, and Evaristo Valle Museum are some of the nearby museums. A trip to the Atlantic Botanical Garden, located just five minutes from the hotel, is sure to make your vacation truly unforgettable. You can enjoy the lush landscape as you stroll along the neighboring trails of Mirador de Deva. Best rates on official website start at EUR €65.
- Hotel Playa Poniente, Calle Marqués de San Esteban, 49 Gijon, Asturias, 33206 Spain, ☎ 985 34 60 63, . Hotel Playa Poniente is strategically located at the center of Gijón, just 20 meters off the Poniente Beach and Marina. It is likewise close to the Council of Proaza and Restaurant Traslavilla. Rates start at EUR €35+.