Geradlton is an Indian Ocean port, clinging to the western edge of Australia, facing west towards the Abrolhos Islands and Africa.
Geraldton has a fantastic blend of the City opportunities with the feel and relaxed pace of a country town.
There is no rail service to Geraldton.
Geraldton airport (GET) is around 10km east of Geraldton.
- Skywest operate flights to and from Perth.
You could arrive in Geraldton via cargo ship or cruise liner. However that is the rarest mode of entry.
- By car you take Brand Highway North from Perth for approximately 440km.
Many private and public buses run into and around Geraldton.
- By bus. Geraldton Bus Service n the Bus which runs every duing daylight hours.
- Walk Alternatively, you can use your feet, most of Geraldton is fairly flat and good for walking or
- Rent a scooter from Bellavista Cafe on Marine Terrace.
- By car. Car rental businesses including Avis and Hertz operate out of Geraldton.
There is a lot to see in Geraldton.
- Maritime museum
- The beach
- HMAS Sydney Memorial
- Wander along the scenic Foreshore
- Houtman Abrolhos Islands - around 70km off the coast, day snorkelling and diving trips by boat, plane or helicopter.
- Marine Terrace Markets (First and Last Sunday of the Month)
- The Principality of Hutt River, previously known as the Hutt River Province, is the oldest micronation in Australia. The principality claims to be an independent sovereign state having achieved legal status on 21 April 1972, although no-one has even bothered to recognise it, the Principality does have de facto autonomy and governs itself. Located near the township of Northampton to the east of Geraldton, the principality was founded by 'Prince' Leonard George Casley the I when he and his associates proclaimed their secession from the state of Western Australia. There you can meet 'His Highness' and dabble in the fantasy world he has set-up including touring the 'National Musuem', and buying some stamps and independent currency.
- A surf trip with Surf2skool (Surfing, Learn to surf, Surf trips, Backpackers surfing, Midwest Surf School and Tours), . Surf2skool (Midwest Surf School and Tours) offers surf lessons and camps throughout the year for surfers of all levels at Geraldton's best surf breaks.
- WA Maritime Museum, Foreshore.
- Numerous Skate Parks
- Aquarena - including the water slide and BIFF
- Surfing at Back Beach
Whilst not known as a shopping destination there are plenty of specialty stores to cater for every budget.
Great range of restaurants incorporating the multiculturalism of both Geraldton and Australia
The Freemasons Hotel having been voted best country pub in 2005 is a great watering hole for after work and great meals. Theme nights include Jukebox Saturday Night and Latin American Sundays occur sporadically throughout the year.
- Liquid Mojo Juice, Centro Northgate shopping centre (In front of Coles), ☎ 99216641. Geraldtons favourite juice bar, serving up tasty and healthy smoothies and fresh juices, as well as award winning evia yoghurt, delicious wraps, spectacualr fruit salad as well as soups and hot drinks during winter!
From backpackers to 5 star is catered for in Geraldton.
- All Seasons Geraldton, Brand Highway (at), ☎ +61 8 99212455, . Along with 60 rooms, features a pool, restaurant and cocktail bar. The hotel room rate includes free continental breakfast and 15 minutes free Internet access.
- Mantra Geraldton, 221 Foreshore Drive, Geraldton WA 6530, ☎ +61 8 9956 1300, . checkin: 2.00PM; checkout: 10.00AM. Sitting atop the stunning Champion Bay Marina, Mantra Geraldton is within a short walk of Geraldton’s Central Business District and the popular local Maritime Museum. Comprising 24 spacious one, two, three bedroom room apartments, Mantra Geraldton provides comfortable and stylish accommodation which includes a fully-equipped kitchen, laundry and spacious lounge and dining areas. Internet access and ISD/STD direct dial phones are also available in-room along with a host of amenities to make your stay more comfortable. Mantra Geraldton is also located close to excellent cafés and restaurants. (28.7731,114.6113)
Common sense will keep you out of trouble in Geraldton.