Geleen is a city in Limburg.
Geleen is a city in the southern part of the province of Limburg in the Netherlands. With over 30,000 inhabitants, it is part of the municipality of Sittard-Geleen. Until the end of the 19th century, Geleen was a small village. The remains of one of the oldest prehistoric farms in the Netherlands were found here. In the 20th century the exploitation of coal mines in this area brought a fast population increase. During the 1960s and 1970s all Dutch coalmines, that were all located in this part of this province, were closed. The State mining company DSM (privatised in 1989) however remained active in Geleen, now purely as a chemicals producer.
- VVV tourist information point, Raadhuisstraat 15, ☎ +31 900 5559798 , . edit
Geleen is located near two highways, the A2 and the A76, which makes the city easily accessible by car.
The city is served by two train stations: Geleen-Oost, with direct trains to Heerlen and Sittard and Geleen Lutterade with direct trains to Maastricht and Sittard.
Buses run from the busstation, located near the city center, to most of the city and to surrounding areas. Renting a bike is a good way to get around the city center or explore the surroundings. If you'd rather rent a car, consider renting a colorful 2CV (available from Weekendjeweg, from 99 EUR per day)
A few historic sights in and around Geleen are worth listing.
- Jansgeleen Castle, St. Jansgeleen 2, Spaubeek. Although in fact located in the village of Spaubeek, this castle is just 3 km from Geleen and therefor easy to include in your sightseeing efforts. In the 16th century, it was the first seat of the former County of Geleen. Although originally named after one of the 15th century owners, Lord Jan Rode van Opsinnich, it was later erroneously renamed after St. John the Baptist and now also often referred to as Sint-Jansgeleen. edit
- Sint Janskluis, Kluis 1, ☎ 046 4759769, . This 17th century religious hermitage is now a praying chapel. edit
- Biesenhof, Biesenweg 1, ☎ 046-4432003, . First records of this historic farm date back to the 13th century. The nicely restored building is now a restaurant and hotel. edit
- Foroxity Filmarena, Rijksweg Noord 330, ☎ +31 (88) 7444411, . Foroxity is the largest cinema of Limburg. edit
- Geleander Kirmes, . In Geleen there's a yearly town fair in the summer. edit
- On the first Saturday of each month local bars organize music night, with live music acts.
- Laco Geleen, Glanerbrook, Kummenaedestraat 45, ☎ + 31 (46) 4746988, . A sport and leisure centure, with possibilities for swiming, ice skating, fitness etc. edit
Most restaurants are to be found at the Rijksweg. The city center offers several places for quick bites, with a number of good places around the market square.
- Danas, Rijksweg Centrum 4, ☎ +31 46 4752754, . All kinds of Mexican and Tex-mex food. edit
- Restaurant Lalique, Rijksweg Centrum 24, ☎ +31 (46) 4742263, . French cuisine edit
- 't Kleine Verschil, Peschstraat 50, ☎ +31 46 475 10 30. A small restaurant in the old town, serving local dishes. edit
The bars are concentrated around "de Markt" in the city center.
- Bastion Hotel Geleen, Rijksweg Zuid 301, ☎ +31 (46) 4747517 (fax: +31 (46) 4748933), . Bastion Hotel Geleen is located near the highway and the city center. The hotel is part of a Dutch chain of decent hotels. €88. edit
- Hotel Maxara, Mauritslaan 2, ☎ 046-4743648, . Nice and clean family run hotel at a good location edit
- Cornerhouse Hotel, Markt 2/3, ☎ 06.45436780 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . The rooms of this hotel/café are simple but the location on the market is great. edit
- De Biesenhof, Biesenweg, ☎ +31 (46) 4433464 (email@example.com), . This apartment is situated on the edge of a park in a renovated farm. Biesenhof is the ideal starting point for various walking and cycling trips in the surroundings of Geleen. €75. edit
Geleen is part of the municipality of Sittard-Geleen, and bus, road and train connections to Sittard are readily available. Geleen is served by regional trains. Connections include:
- Geleen-Oost - Sittard, 7 minutes
- Geleen-Oost - Heerlen, 18 minutes
- Geleen-Lutteraden - Maastricht, 17 minutes
Maastricht-Aachen airport is located 8 km south east of Geleen. Take the E14 and then E25, or bus 59 (45 min.)
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!