Gatineau  is a city in the Outaouais region of Quebec, Canada, located just across the Ottawa River from Canada's capital, Ottawa.
Gatineau's landmark, the Canadian Museum of Civilization, as seen from the Ottawa side of the Ottawa River
With more than 200,000 inhabitants, it is the city resulting from the amalgamation of the older cities of Gatineau, Hull, Aylmer, Masson-Anger and Buckingham in the province of Québec.
Its size means that it offers the services and entertainment found in a larger city without being one. One can find quiet corners without having to necessarily endure rush-hour evenings and mornings.
The whole area is located accross the city of Ottawa, with thousands crossing the river every day to work. However, downtown Hull also has some government offices, and many people cross the other way to work there. Gatineau is part of what you call the National Capital Region.
For rental information go to www.hull-rentals.ca
Gatineau is just across the river from Ottawa.
Access by air:
- Executive Airport Gatineau-Ottawa (EGO), 1717 Arthur-Fecteau, +1 819 663-0737 (fax: +1 819-663-0793), . M - F 6:00AM to 21:00PM, Sa - Su 8:00AM to 16:00PM.
- Hull-Chelsea-Wakefield Steam Train, 165 Deveault, +1 819 778-7246, . Su, M, T, W, Th, F, Sa 10:00AM - 22:30PM Depending on excursion. A scenic steam train ride from Hull to Wakefield. Excursions offered: Scenic, Fall Foliage, Sunset Dinner & Sunday Brunch. Cost: $19.00 - $129.00.
- Bike There is an extensive network of bike paths throughout the are as well as in the National parks. Enjoy the fresh air and natural beauty while exercising
- Canadian Museum of Civilization, 100 Laurier Street, tel. +1 800 555-5621, . Gatineau's star attraction and Canada's most-visited museum deserves at least half a day of your time. General admission $10 (special exhibitions may charge extra), but entry is free on Thursdays from 4 to 9 PM. Open daily from 9 AM to 5 PM or longer, closed Mondays in winter only.
- Grand Hall, Level 1. The world's largest collection of totem poles, quite an amazing sight when all assembled together.
- Canada Hall, Level 3. A very well done and surprisingly interesting presentation of Canadian history, with countless life-sized walk-through exhibits and recreations of villages, towns and cities at different stages.
- Gatineau Santa Claus Parade, Principale Street, . Annual parade held at the end of November.
- Gatineau Park. The outdoor playground for Canada's National Capital Region (Ottawa and Gatineau). It offers amazing possibilities for outdoor recreation, within a 20 minutes drive of either city. This includes: skiing (cross-country and downhill), hiking, canoeing, camping, rock-climbing and bird-watching.
- Gatineau Hot Air Balloon Festival, La Baie Park, . Annual hot air balloon festival held in September. Cost: $15.00 to $53.00.
- Canadian Ski Marathon, 81 Jean-Proulx, Suite 200, +1 877 770-6556 (fax: +1 819-770-7428), . Held annually in February. A two day cross-country ski marathon from Gatineau to Lachute. Cost: $180.00 per adult.
- MotoFest Canada, . Held late June / early July. Motorcycle festival including events and charity rides. Cost varies.
- Rendez-vous des saveurs de l'Outaouais (Outaouais Food Festival), 25 Laurier Street, . Annual food festival held in September. Events include cooking classes and wine tasting.
- Festival Country du Grand Gatineau, 110 rue Georges, +1 819 986-3552 (fax: +1 819-986-8342), . Annual country music festival held in the second week of August. Cost: $10.00 to $40.00.
- Fête nationale du Québec (Saint-Jean-Baptiste Day), . June 23. Quebec's biggest party of the year. Events held at various locations.
- Le Grand Rire de Gatineau (Gatineau Comedy Festival), . Annual comedy festival held in late June / early July. Events held at various locations. Cost: $10.00 - $20.00.
- Wonders of Sand, Parc du Lac-Beauchamp, . Early July. Sand-sculpting competition. Cost: $8.00.
Gatineau shares several activities and festivals with the capital, Ottawa. These include the Ottawa Bluesfest and the Winterlude winter festival, to name but a few.
- Pecco's, 76 rue Laval, +1 819 771-8933, . M - W 9:00AM to 18:00PM, Th - F 9:00AM to 20:00PM, Sa 9:00AM to 17:00PM, Su 11:00AM to 16:00PM. The preferred retailer for bicycles and cross-country skis in the Ottawa / Hull region.
- La Trappe à fromage, 200 Bellehumeur, +1 819 243-6411 (email: firstname.lastname@example.org). The best place to shop for cheese in the Ottawa area. Shop also sells regional food products.
- Miss Chocolat, 173 Promenade du Portage, +1 819 775-3499, . T - F 10:00AM - 18:00PM. Closed Sa, Su & M. Artisan chocolatier specialising in bold flavor combinations. Also offers chocolate workshops.
- Papilles Gourmandes, 256 Boul St-Joseph, +1 819 595-2439 (email: email@example.com). Shop specialises in regional Quebec products including pâtés and cheeses.
- L'Argoät - Café Breton, 39A rue Laval, +1 819 771-6170.
- Le Troquet, 41 rue Laval, +1 819 776-9595.
- Bistro 1908, 70 Promenade du Portage, +1 819 770-1908. M - W 11:30AM to 22:00PM, Th & Sa 11:30AM to 23:00PM, F 11:30AM to Midnight.
- La Piz'za-za, 36 rue Laval, +1 819 771-0565, . M -T 11:30AM to 22:00PM, W - Th 11:30AM to 23:00PM, F 11:30AM to 1:00AM, Sa 17:00PM to 23:00PM, Su 17:00PM to 22:00PM. Great pizzas here. Highly recomended. Thin crust, personal size pizas are served for about $12, there is no option for a larger pizza. Tropical pizza is recomended even though it is a bit spicy. If pizza is not your thing the salads are also great. There is lots of parking space in the area and a few pubs within the same block.
- Le French Quarter, 80 Promenade du Portage, +1 819 777-1125, M - F 11:30AM to 23:00PM, Sa 17:00PM to 22:00PM.
- Le Tartuffe, 133 rue Notre-Dame-de-l'ïle, +1 819 776-6424, , M-F 11:30AM-2PM, M-Sa 5:30-10PM. Tucked away behind the Museum of Civilizations, this little old house offers classical French cuisine with modern touches. Lunch prix fixe $17.50, dinner menus $30-40 (soup, appetizer, main). Reservations highly recommended.
- Où-Quoi! Lounge Urbain, 48 rue Laval, A great little bar to get a drink at and hang out with the locals. Its' low-key vibe attracts a steady crowd of regulars. The back room offers some privacy if you're partying VIP style. Quebec law prohibits smoking inside but it is still allowed on the terrace. Treat the bartenders right and they will take very good care of you.
- Le Petit Chicago, 50 du Portage, Vieux-Hull, +1 819 483-9843, . Sa, M & T Open 20:00PM to 2:00AM. W, Th & F Open 16:00PM to 2:00AM. Closed Sunday. Large bar with dance floor and a vibrant social scene. Each night has a different theme. Check out the improvisational jazz on Monday nights.
- Café Aux Quatre Jeudis, 44 rue Laval, +1 819 771-9557, .
- Le Bop, 9 rue Aubry, +1 819 777-3700.
- Hilton Lac-Leamy, 3 Boul. du Casino, +1 819 790-6444 (fax: +1 819-790-6408), . CAN $259/$2500 Single/Double.
- Four Points by Sheraton & Conference Centre Gatineau-Ottawa, 35 rue Laurier, +1 819 778-6111 (fax: +1 819-778-3647), . CAN $195 Single/Double.
- Holiday Inn Plaza la Chaudière, 2 Montcalm, +1 819 778-3880 (fax: +1 819-778-3309), . CAN $180/$240 Single/Double.
- Clarion Hotel & Conference Center, 111 rue Bellehumeur, +1 819 568-5252 (fax: +1 418-266-1535), . CAN $89/$150 Single/Double.
- Ramada Plaza Manoir du Casino, 75 rue Edmonton, +1 819 777-7538 (fax: +1 819-777-0277), . CAN $119/$159 Single/Double.
- Château Cartier Relais Resort, 1170 d'Aylmer, +1 819 778-0000, . CAN $139/$259 Single/Double.
- Au 55 Taché, 55 Boul. Alexandre-Taché, +1 819 772-1454 (fax: +1 819-772-1461), . Bed and Breakfast. CAN $75-$85 Single, CAN $85-$95 Double.
- Gîte Fanny et Maxime, 31 rue Lessard, +1 819 777-1960, . Bed and Breakfast. CAN $95-$105 Single, CAN $105-$120 Double.
- L'Escapade, 912 chemin d'Aylmer, +1 819 772-2388 (fax: +1 819-772-4354), . Bed and Breakfast. CAN $80/$90 Single/Double.
- La Belle Corbeille, 23 Boul. Saint-Raymond, +1 819 777-4584 (email: firstname.lastname@example.org). Bed and Breakfast. CAN $85/$95 Single/Double.
- Maison Bon Repos, 37 Cedarvale, +1 819 682-1498, . Bed and Breakfast. CAN $65/$75 Single/Double.
- Aux Berges des Outaouais, 1175 Jacques-Cartier, +1 819 561-5241, . Bed and Breakfast. CAN $79-$129 Single, CAN $89-$139 Double.
- Le Philémon, 47 Dumas, +1 819 776-0769, . Bed and Breakfast. CAN $90/$115 Single/Double.
- Cabane à sucre Brazeau, 316 Côte St-Charles, Papineauville, +1 819 427-5611 (fax: +1 819-427-9740). Seasonal: March thru April. Sugar Shack. Enjoy a traditional lumberjack meal in a communal setting. Educational programs available. Products sold on premises.
- Cabane à sucre Chez Ti-Mousse, 442 Côte St-Charles, Papineauville, +1 819 427-5413 (fax: +1 819-427-9694). Open year-round by reservation. Sugar Shack. Sale of maple products, entertainment and carriage rides. Educational programs available.