Franconia (Franken) is a region of northern Bavaria, a state of Germany, that was formerly a separate kingdom (a duchy) of the holy roman empire. The history of the area stretches back over a thousand years. Culturally Franconians identify themselves as being different from Bavarians.
- Fränkische Schweiz (Franconian Switzerland) -- Castle ruins, hiking, canoeing.
- Fränkisches Seenland (Franconian lake district) -- The Lake District comprises of 7 lakes. The total expanse of water is about 20 km².
- Fränkisches Weinland (Franconian Wineland) -- Wine tasting, hiking, biking, and more.
- Fichtelgebirge is located in the north-east corner of Franconia. It is arranged like a horseshoe around an inner hill-landscape. The highest mountain is the "Schneeberg (Snow Mountain)" with 1053 m above sealevel.
- Aufsess is a tiny town which the Guinness Book of World Records recognizes as the town with the most breweries per capita! There's even a beer trail that you can hike with stops at all the local biergartens.