Foz do Iguaçu is a major city in the state of Paraná, Brazil. It is a gateway to both Paraguay and Argentina, and home of the famous Iguaçu Falls.
Iguazu Falls Cataratas International Airport (IATA: IGU) (ICAO: SBFI) is close to the city. There are frequent flights to Rio de Janeiro, Sao Paulo, Santiago de Chile etc. ATMs are available on the ground level next to Arrivals. Internet terminals and WIFI are available in the upstairs restaurant area.
Many other destinations as well.
- A bus leaves hourly from the terminal to the entrance on Brazilian side of the falls
- It is only a short walk across the Friendship Bridge over the river Parana to Ciudad del Este. Alternatively, you can take a taxi as walking across the bridge is not recommended due to pickpocketing. You might have to ask multiple taxi drivers to get a taxi across the bridge. Locals consider the trip dangerous and might refuse it.
- Iguaçu Falls. The most famous attraction though a bit outside of the city.
- Parque das Aves (Bird Park) is very close to the entrance of the falls, you can take a self guided tour of the park to come in close contact with all different types of exotic birds. There may also be chances to hold and take pictures with the birds.
- Itaipu Dam. It is the largest power plant in the world. It can only be visited on a tour. From R13.
- Martignoni Pizza Parlor, Av. Paraná 3535 (downtown), ☎ (+55) 45-522 2706. Tu-Su 7pm-12pm. Pizza de rodizio: the waiters bring around a selection of meats, pastas, and (the main attraction) pizza. A nice atmosphere with an excellent variety of pizzas, including some with fruit, chocolate, and ice cream. But before dessert, try the catupiry and the tomate seco. R13.50.
- Pousada El Shaddai, Rua Engenheiro Reboucas 306, Foz de Iguacu, . Phone +55 45 30254493, email contato(at)pousadaelshaddai.com.br. Dorms from R$22.00, doubles from R$60.00, incl breakfast buffet, swimming pool, kitchen use. Clean and friendly. Quiet and central location near amenities like banks, supermarkets, restaurants, launderettes.
- Albergue Paudimar Campestre (Av. das Cataratas). Twelve kilometres outside Foz do Iguaçu on the way to the Brazilian side of the falls, it's more a mini-resort than a hostel. It offers free internet, budget meals and also has a swimming pool and bar. They also arrange tours to the Argentinean side of the falls. Half the taxi fair from the bus terminal is returned if you go with two or more persons and stay at least two days. Look for the stand at the bus terminal.
- Pousada Sonho Meu, Rua Men de Sá, 267 - Centro (very close to the bus station, there are signs at the station showing the way), ☎ +55 45 3573-5764 ([email protected]), . Family-run, friendly pousada, conveniently located next to the bus terminal (it's not like anyone visits Foz to hang out in the city anyway). The breakfast buffet is excellent, and there's a swimming pool and even a tiny gym. Doubles from R$140.
- Hotel San Rafael, Rua Almirante Barroso No 1660, Foz de Iguaçu, Brazil. 85851-010. A pleasant hotel with friendly staff. You can hire their tour guide, Val, who will gladly take you to both sides of the falls. Hotel includes a gym and pool, which is needed as it gets very hot in Iguaçu. Breakfast is included and there is a superb buffet in the evenings for 20 Reals a head. Also very close to the main shops in Foz do Iguaçu, where all the bargains are.