Banyan Tree - On the grounds of the Edison and Ford Winter Estates
Fort Myers is a booming town with great weather, entertainment and a casual feel in Southwest Florida.
The climate of Fort Myers is subtropical. Generally, humid Gulf breezes and warm temperatures dominate the area, though frosts and even snow flurries have occured there.
On August 13, 2004, Fort Myers was sideswiped by Hurricane Charley, a category 4 hurricane that made landfall north of the area. In 2005, Hurricane Wilma struck south of Naples, but caused extensive damage nonetheless in Fort Myers and its southern suburbs. Cold snaps affect the area sometimes in winter, bringing temperatures around freezing.
- Southwest Florida International Airport (IATA: RSW), 11000 Terminal Access Road, Phone: +1 239 590-4800, . Most major U.S. carriers serve RSW. International carriers include Air Berlin (from Düsseldorf), Air Canada (from Toronto and Montreal), and WestJet (from Toronto).
- The near-tropical climate is perfect for bicycling, and Fort Myers is a very bicycle friendly city. But watch out for those occasional pop up showers, especially during the wet season. When cycling, be sure to bring plenty of water, wear light weight, light colored clothing, and wear sunscreen.
- Lee trans  is the local bus service and has numerous bus lines criss crossing the city.
- The tolls for the Sanibel Causeway are $6 for cars, $2 for motorcycles, and $0 for bicycles, but it is only going onto the island, and well worth it.
- The Midpoint and Cape Coral Pwky/Colonial Bridge is $2 going from Fort Myers to Cape Coral only. Other direction is non toll. The bridge is generally unavoidable unless you go through Downtown Fort Myers and US41 around.
While Fort Myers is mostly safe, there are a few scattered neighborhoods, especially east and southeast of downtown, where it is wise to use a bit of caution, especially at night. Also, there is one area, bordered by Ford street on the west, Martin Luther King on the north, Shoemaker blvd on the east, and Canal street on the south that is advisable to avoid as there have been robberies and even a few recent shootings in that area.
- Butterfly Estates, 1815 Fowler Street, ☎ (239) 690-2359, . 9AM - 5PM. This butterfly conservatory, set in the Fort Myers river district, is home to all the species of butterfly native to Florida. The enclosure features a cascading waterfall and many exotic species of plants. Every Friday at 1:30PM new butterflies are released into the exhibit, which makes this the best time to visit. $15.
- Edison and Ford Winter Estates, 2350 McGregor Blvd., +1 239 334-7419, . Every day 9AM-5:30PM (during Dec until 9PM). Guided tours through 15,000 sq. ft. museum with hundreds of Edison and Ford inventions and objects, video theatres, and changing special exhibits. Beautiful and interesting plantings on the grounds.
- Groove Street Grille and Discotheque, 8595 College Parkway, Fort Myers, +1-239-437-2743. There is no other restaurant, night spot, entertainment center or local gathering place like Groove Street in Fort Myers, Florida. Cover charge is $5 plus a valid form of identification to show the staff upon entrance (State ID or driver's license will work). The club is open Thursdays, Fridays, and Saturdays from 9 pm to 3 am. Whether you are a local or a tourist, single person, a couple, or a group, and no matter what race you are, whether you are white, black, Hispanic, Asian, Chinese, French, Mexican, Indian, or Brazilian, if you want to come and dance on the dance floor, meet new people, socialize, or chill for a superbowl, football game, etc, you'll find it at Groove Street. For those that like a little romance here and there, Groove Street even has a history of playing slow songs for everyone on the dance floor. There are, however, a few rules that they have. While they allow you to bring still-photograph cameras, they unfortunately prohibit video cameras. They also have apparently a dress code that prohibits tank tops and short shorts. Additionally, you must be 21+ years old to enter the club.
- Minnesota Twins Spring Training, 14100 Six Mile Cypress Parkway Hammond Stadium, +1 612 338-9467. If you are in Fort Myers during the spring, you may be able to see the Major Baseball League's Minnesota Twins' during their preseason training period. (2007 prices) Dugout Box, $35; Box Seats, $21; Reserved Seats, $19; Deck Rail, $15; Lawn Seating, $10; Standing Room, $10.
- Boston Red Sox Spring Training, Fenway South Dr JetBlue Park at Fenway South, +1 239 334-4700. The Boston Red Sox also have their spring training in Fort Myers.
- Florida Everblades. Local hockey.
- Florida Gulf Coast University Eagles, .
- Miromar Factory Outlet Mall
- Gulf Coast Town Center
- Bell Tower
- Coconut Pointe Town Center
- Edison Mall
- Fleamasters Flea Market
- WhatsUp Dog, Downtown Fort Myers
- Plakka Greek Restaurant, Fort Myers Beach
- Island Pizza, Sanibel Island
- Hooters of Fort Myers, Fort Myers
- Lazy Flamingo, Sanibel Island and Captiva
- Sub and Pub, Downtown Fort Myers,open for lunch
- Siam Hut, Cape Coral Pkwy and Del Prado. Thai.
- The Mucky Duck, Captiva Island
- The Bubble Room, Captiva Island
- Bert's Bar, Matlacha
- Matanzas's Inn, Fort Myers Beach
- Parrot Key, Fort Myers Beach
- Blu Sushi, Fort Myers and Gulf Coast Town Center
- Spirits of Bacchus, Downtown Fort Myers
- The Cigar Bar, Downtown Fort Myers and Gulf Coast Town Mall
- Rivals Sports Kitchen, Miromar Factory Outlet Mall, Estero
- Lazy Flamingo, Sanibel Island and Captiva
- Dusseldorf's on the Beach, 150+ Types of Bier closed 2008
- Dwyer's Irish Pub, Fort Myers closed 2008
- Blu Sushi, Fort Myers and Gulf Coast Town Center (Estero)
- Best Western Springs Resort, 18051 South Tamiami Trail, . Marketed as a "tropical hideaway with a unique natural warm mineral water springs." Onsite family restaurant and a poolside Tiki Bar.
- Howard Johnson Inn, 4811 s Cleveland avenue, Fort Myers. Very affordable old motel located in the center of town.
- Best Western Waterfront, 13021 N. Cleveland Avenue, +1 239 997-5511, Toll-free: 800 274-5511, . Right on the river. Private pier, high-speed internet and heated outdoor pool.
- DiamondHead Beach Resort, 2000 Estero Boulevard, Fort Myers Beach, Phone: 888 627-1595, . All suite luxury resort with conference facilities. Right on the beach.
- GullWing Beach Resort, 6620 Estero Boulevard, +1 239 765-4300, Toll-free: 888 627-1595, . Suites and condos on Fort Myers beach as well as meeting and banquet space.
- Hyatt Regency Coconut Point, 5001 Coconut Road (Bonita Springs), ☎ +1 239 444 1234 (fax: +1 239 390 4344), .
- Pink Shell Beach Resort & Spa, 275 Estero Boulevard, . On Estero Island.
- Pointe Estero Beach Resort, 6640 Estero Boulevard, Phone: 888 627-1595, . A beachfront suite hotel located on the peaceful southern end of Estero Island close to all the beach activities.
- Santa Maria Harbour Resort, 7317 Estero Boulevard, Phone: 888 627-1595, . A resort on Estero Bay, a fishing harbour on Estero Island.
- Suburban Extended Stay Hotel of Fort Myers, 10150 Metro Parkway, Phone: +1 239 938-0100, . Rooms have refrigerators, microwaves, coffee makers, utensils, irons, ironing boards, computer hook-ups, voice mail and satellite television. King suites are also available.
- Fort Myers Airport Hotel, 9401 Marketplace Road, ☎ +1 239 454-0040, . Located near the Southwest Florida International Airport and features complimentary wireless internet and breakfast buffet.
- Harbour House at the Inn, 450 Old San Carlos Blvd, ☎ +1 239 463-0700, . A gem among Fort Myers Beach hotels, the Harbour House at the Inn is a bayside Fort Myers Beach resort offering brand-new all-suite accommodations, boat dockage and event/meeting space and easy beach access.
- Courtyard Fort Myers Cape Coral, 4455 Metro Parkway, ☎ 239 275-8600, . The centrally located Courtyard Fort Myers Hotel is situated minutes from I-75, Gulf Coast beaches, Boston Red Sox and Minnesota Twins Spring Training facilities and the SW Florida International Airport.
|Routes through Fort Myers
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!
Wikipedia:Fort Myers, Florida