| || |
| || |
Revision as of 13:36, 22 November 2010
Fort Myers is a booming town with great weather, entertainment and a casual feel in Southwest Florida.
The climate of Fort Myers is tropical.
On August 13, 2004, Fort Myers was hit hard by Hurricane Charley, a category 4 hurricane that made landfall north of the area. In 2005, Hurricane Wilma struck south of Naples, but caused extensive damage nonetheless in Fort Myers and its southern suburbs.
- Southwest Florida International Airport (IATA: RSW), 11000 Terminal Access Road, Phone: +1 239 590-4800, . Most major U.S. carriers serve RSW. International carriers include Air Berlin (from Düsseldorf), Air Canada (from Toronto and Montreal), and WestJet (from Toronto).
- You are going to need a car, because public transportation is generally unavailable.
- Lee trans  is the local bus service
- Sanibel Causeway has a $8 toll, but it is only going onto the island, and well worth it.
- The Midpoint and Cape Coral Pwky/Colonial Bridge is $2 going from Fort Myers to Cape Coral only. Other direction is non toll. The bridge is generally unavoidable unless you go through Downtown Fort Myers and US41 around.
- Edison and Ford Winter Estates, 2350 McGregor Blvd., +1 239 334-7419, . Every day 9AM-5:30PM (during Dec until 9PM). Guided tours through 15,000 sq. ft. museum with hundreds of Edison and Ford inventions and objects, video theatres, and changing special exhibits. Beautiful and interesting plantings on the grounds.
- Minnesota Twins Spring Training, 14100 Six Mile Cypress Parkway Hammond Stadium, +1 612 338-9467. If you are in Fort Myers during the spring, you may be able to see the Major Baseball League's Minnesota Twins' during their preseason training period. (2007 prices) Dugout Box, $35; Box Seats, $21; Reserved Seats, $19; Deck Rail, $15; Lawn Seating, $10; Standing Room, $10.
- Boston Red Sox Spring Training, 2201 Edison Ave City of Palms Park, +1 239 334-4700. The Boston Red Sox also have their spring training in Fort Myers.
- Florida Everblades. Local hockey.
- Florida Gulf Coast University Eagles, .
- Sanibel Lighthouse
- Butterfly Estates, 1815 Fowler Street, ☎ (239) 690-2359, . 9AM - 5PM. This butterfly conservatory, set in the Fort Myers river district, is home to all the species of butterfly native to Florida. The enclosure features a cascading waterfall and many exotic species of plants. Every Friday at 1:30PM new butterflies are released into the exhibit, which makes this the best time to visit. $15.
- Miromar Factory Outlet Mall
- Gulf Coast Town Center
- Bell Tower
- Coconut Pointe Town Center
- Plakka Greek Restaurant, Fort Myers Beach
- Lazy Flamingo, Sanibel Island and Captiva
- Sub and Pub, Downtown Fort Myers,open for lunch
- Siam Hut, Cape Coral Pkwy and Del Prado. Thai.
- The Mucky Duck, Captiva Island
- The Bubble Room, Captiva Island
- Bert's Bar, Matlacha
- Matanzas's Inn, Fort Myers Beach
- Parrot Key, Fort Myers Beach
- Blu Sushi, Fort Myers and Gulf Coast Town Center
- The Cigar Bar, Downtown Fort Myers and Gulf Coast Town Mall
- Rivals Sports Kitchen, Miromar Factory Outlet Mall, Estero
- Lazy Flamingo, Sanibel Island and Captiva
- Dusseldorf's on the Beach, 150+ Types of Bier closed 2008
- Dwyer's Irish Pub, Fort Myers closed 2008
- Blu Sushi, Fort Myers and Gulf Coast Town Center (Estero)
- Best Western Springs Resort, 18051 South Tamiami Trail, . Marketed as a "tropical hideaway with a unique natural warm mineral water springs." Onsite family restaurant and a poolside Tiki Bar.
- Best Western Waterfront, 13021 N. Cleveland Avenue, +1 239 997-5511, Toll-free: 800 274-5511, . Right on the river. Private pier, high-speed internet and heated outdoor pool.
- DiamondHead Beach Resort, 2000 Estero Boulevard, Fort Myers Beach, Phone: 888 627-1595, . All suite luxury resort with conference facilities. Right on the beach.
- GullWing Beach Resort, 6620 Estero Boulevard, +1 239 765-4300, Toll-free: 888 627-1595, . Suites and condos on Fort Myers beach as well as meeting and banquet space.
- Hyatt Regency Coconut Point, 5001 Coconut Road (Bonita Springs), ☎ +1 239 444 1234 (fax: +1 239 390 4344), .
- Pink Shell Beach Resort & Spa, 275 Estero Boulevard, . On Estero Island.
- Pointe Estero Beach Resort, 6640 Estero Boulevard, Phone: 888 627-1595, . A beachfront suite hotel located on the peaceful southern end of Estero Island close to all the beach activities.
- Santa Maria Harbour Resort, 7317 Estero Boulevard, Phone: 888 627-1595, . A resort on Estero Bay, a fishing harbour on Estero Island.
- Suburban Extended Stay Hotel of Fort Myers, 10150 Metro Parkway, Phone: +1 239 938-0100, . Rooms have refrigerators, microwaves, coffee makers, utensils, irons, ironing boards, computer hook-ups, voice mail and satellite television. King suites are also available.
- Fort Myers Airport Hotel, 9401 Marketplace Road, ☎ +1 239 454-0040, . Located near the Southwest Florida International Airport and features complimentary wireless internet and breakfast buffet.
- Harbour House at the Inn, 450 Old San Carlos Blvd, ☎ +1 239 463-0700, . A gem among Fort Myers Beach hotels, the Harbour House at the Inn is a bayside Fort Myers Beach resort offering brand-new all-suite accommodations, boat dockage and event/meeting space and easy beach access.
|Routes through Fort Myers