Vlissingen is a port town in Zeeland.
Vlissingen is sometimes referred to in English as Flushing. It is the second large town of Zeeland, and has 34,000 inhabitants. The town is industrial in character and is connected by a large canal to Middelburg and onwards to the Veerse Meer inland lake. Vlissingen is wellknown because of his 2,6 km long Boulevard.
Vlissingen has two railway stations and is the end on the line Roosendaal-Vlissingen. Trains go every 30 minutes. Vlissingen is at the end of the motorway A58 (Eindhoven- Vlissingen).
You can easily get around by bicycle. The area is well served by cycle lanes and cycle paths. You can cycle along the shipping canal to Middelburg which is only a few km away. You can also cross the Westerschelde, and cycle to Terneuzen, Gent or Brugge. You can also take the bus.
Most visitors take a walk along the Boulevard. Go to the beach for a swim in summer season or a fresh walk at winters.
- The largest Supermarket of Zeeland, Albert Heijn XL.
Have a Bolus, a bread originally from Zeeland.
- Albatros, Beursplein 3, ☎ +31 118 430-092, . This restaurant/bar serves the seafood common in Vlissingen. On the menu are many kinds of fried fish, including kibbeling and squid. It doesn't look fancy, but is an option if you're looking for cheaper fare. The staff are really friendly and willing to give you advice on where to go and what to do in Vlissingen and Zeeland. Order the Fish Mix if you want to try all the fish in one go. €12-14.
- Popeye, Nieuwendijk 7, ☎ +66 118 431-267, . 12:00-03:00 daily. Café Popeye has live music every Wednesday and a second bar in the basement where they play a lot of club music. The student association throws a party every Thursday and the bar is crowded during the whole weekend. The basement bar opens on Thursdays and Saturdays since the upper level of the bar gets so crowded on those days that more space is needed.
- Speyk, Bellamypark 12, ☎ +31 118 441-3333, . M 19:00-03:00, Tu-Su 13:00-03:00. Most bustling bar of Vlissingen that looks a bit like a British pub. At day-time it is a relaxed place to have a beer or sit on the outside terrace. There are many different kinds of beer on tap. At night it turns into a hip bar with pop music. It is popular among the locals, especially with younger audiences.
- De Vic.
- De Concurrent, Bellamypark 22, ☎ +66 118 419-476, . 12:00-03:00 daily. This is quite a traditional bar, but it has a nice atmosphere. In the afternoon and evening, music is not that loud so you can easily have a conversation. Simple pub grub is served, though at €17-20, the mains are quite overpriced. Better come here for the drinks as they have some nice beers on tap. Try the Vedett on hot summer days, a light Belgian wheat beer.
- Arion, (on the Boulevard), .
- Middelburg — the capital city of Zeeland
- Goes — on tuesday there's a market