Flensburg  (danish: Flensborg) is a city in Schleswig-Holstein located on the east coast. The 85000 inhabitants live around the Flensburger Förde (Flensburg fjord).
Most people arrive here with car. Flensburg is situated at the border of Germany and Denmark, beside the motorway A7 (danish: E45) leading to Hamburg in the south and to Kolding and further north in Denmark. There are bus and train connections both from Denmark and Hamburg.
Walking is the best way to get around in the city center.
Flensburg offers a nice shopping district with old houses and backyards as well as a variety of museums and churches. The habour is the hosting place for sailing regatta and events.
- Musuemsberg Flensburg-a museum on a hill in the center of Flensburg exhibiting local history artefacts and art by not only local artists. On friday entry is for free otherwise varying between 4€ and 0.5€. Monday is closed otherwise open from 10-4(November to March) or 10-5(May to October).
- Naturwissenschaftliches Muesum und Eiszeit-Haus(Science museum and ice-age house)- located on the muesum hill next to the other museum, same opening times, entry is free.
- Phänomenta- an interactive science museum, where you can try experiments on you own, especially interesting for families and children and anybody interested in science. Prices vary from 9,50€ for adults to 7€ for youth and 2€ for children. Opening times on weekdays are 9-5(October to May) and 10-6(July to September) and 11-6 on weekends.
- Museumswerft(shipyard museum)-this musuem shows and builds old ships and boats and offers courses for children, youth and adults. Free entry, open from 8-5(weekdays) and 10-5(weekends), tours can be given when informed in advance. It is located directly on the harbour.
The following churches have an interesting architecuture and a located in the center of Flensburg. Klick http://www.flensburg-online.de/kirchen/index.html for an (almost) complete list of churches in Flensburg.
- St. Nikolai(lutheran)
- St. Marien(lutheran)
- St. Johannis(lutheran)
- St. Marien, schmerzhafte Mutter(roman-catholic)
- Helligåndskirke(Church of the Holy Spirit, Danisch church, lutheran)
New harbour, old military area
Tours around the city can be booked at the tourist infomation center near the main bus train, they are available in German, English, French, Swedish and Low German.
- Tourism Center, Rathausstr. 1 (near the main bus station in the city center), ☎ +49 461/9090920 (firstname.lastname@example.org, fax: +49 461/9090936), .
A nice way to enjoy the maritime feeling of Flensburg is to make a shiptour with one of the 5 different ferries.
- Alexandra, ☎ +49 461-212 32, . The Alexandra just celebrated her 100th birthday and is so the oldest passenger stream boat which is still in use in whole Germany.
- MS Viking, ☎ +49 174 - 15 85 555, .
- MS Möwe, ☎ +49 461 - 62 945, .
- MS Flora II, ☎ +49 177 - 55 11 114.
- MS Feodora, ☎ +49 172 - 45 16 791, .
Shopping and eating pedestrian street Holm
Lots of people arrive to Flensburg from Denmark and the other nordic countries for shopping. In addition to the numerous small shops along the pedestrian street Holm (danish: Holmen) and Große Straße and the new shopping mall Flensburg Galerie with 80 shops in the city there's a shopping center some 2 kilometers south from the city, Fördepark  as well as Poetsch  at Kupfermühle near the Danish border. Other shopping centers are Scandinavien Park  and Citti Park .
The Scandinavian Park is conveniently located right off the northernmost exit of A7 motorway in Germany. Due to its location and tourists visiting it is allowed to open all week long and attracts locals from both sides of the board who go there for a Sunday grocery run. Price differences between Denmark and Germany may make a certain item a bargain for Danish people but it might be expensive for Germans.
- Dionysos, Glücksburger Straße 174, ☎ +49 461 140 800, . A Greek restaurant in the first floor of Hotel Fruerlund.
- Marien-Café, Norderstrasse 13, ☎ +49 461 500 9711.
- Goldene Lilie, Angelburger Straße 10-16 (opposite of the side entrance of the Fensburg Galerie), ☎ +49 461/26294 (fax: (o461/1505443)), . 11:30am-3pm and 5:30pm-11pm. A Chinese restaurant offering a tasty buffet and a good menu.
- Pazific, Ochsenweg 39 (located in Weiche, a district in Flensburg). Another Chinese restaurant offering a menu and a 'normal' buffet as well as a Mongolian buffet where you can compose your own meal out of different kinds of rare meat, fish, clams, vegetables and sauces. Your compostion is then fried before your eyes by a cook. Very friendly service.
- Galerie, Holm 66 (located in a backyard, opposite of the Holm). A restaurant offering a variety of pizza and pasta, non-vegetarian and vegatarian food.
- Landhaus Eric, Glücksburger Stasse 177 (The hotel is situated about 2 km northeast from the city center. There are signs showing the way to the hotel.), ☎ +49 461 64895 (email@example.com, fax: +49 461 63000), .
- Jugendherberge Flensburg, .
- Backpacker's Inn, Schleswiger Straße 10, ☎ +49 461 90 90 833 (firstname.lastname@example.org, fax: +49 4619090834), . checkin: 4pm-9pm; checkout: till 12pm. between 16 and 30€ per night and p.p..
- Glücksburg Castle, (just outside Flensburg), . Beautiful old white castle. 5 €.