- 6th: Waitangi day - New Zealand's national day. Commemorates the signing of the Treaty of Waitangi.
- Thursday before Ash Wednesday: Fasnacht in parts of southern Germany and Northeastern Switzerland - Colourful street carnivals to ward off the winter spirits, featuring costumed brass bands. Takes place in most towns
- Late January or early February: Chinese New Year, celebrated in China, Singapore and anywhere where there are large concentrations of Chinese
- Late January or early February: Korean Lunar New Year (Seollal), South Korea
- Late January or early February: Vietnamese New Year (Tết), Vietnam