| || |
| || |
Revision as of 15:05, 24 August 2006
Fars (Persian: فارس) is one of the 30 provinces of Iran. It is in the south of the country and its center is Shiraz. It has an area of 122,400 sq. km. In 1996, this province had a population of 3.8 million people, out of which 42% resided in rural areas and the rest were urban settlers.
Nominally, Fars is the original homeland of the Persian people. The native name of the Persian language is Fārsi or Pārsi. Persia and Persian both derive from the Hellenized form Πέρσις Persis of the root word Pārs. Fārs is the Arabicised version of Pars. The Old Persian word was Pārsā.
There are three distinct climatic regions in the Fars Province. First, the mountainous area of the north and northwest with moderate cold winters and mild summers. Secondly, the central regions, with relatively rainy mild winters, and hot dry summers. The third region located in the south and southeast, has moderate winters with very hot summers. The average temperature of Shiraz is 16.8° C, ranging between 4.7° and 29.2° C.
- Persopolis ruines about 50Km Northeast of shiraz.
- Naghshe Rostam stone reliefs near shiraz.
- Pasargad the tomb of kourosh (cyrus) the great.
- Abshare Margoon waterfall near sepidan, 100Km North of shiraz.
- skiing-Sepidan ski resort is located near the city of Sepidan, in the northwest of Fars Province. It makes winter sport fans from neighbouring cities to gather in this city over the weekends. The hills of the Zagros Mountains in this region have created a suitable space for different games and sports on their snow-covered slopes.
- Faloodeh-Faloodehwye shirazi is a rose water sorbet that contains small pieces of cooked rice noodle. The dish is quite subtle, slightly sweet with just a hint of rose petals; the noodles add a chewiness to the sorbet but little flavor. Faloodeh is served with a wedge of lemon, which added a refreshing kick. It's an ideal way to end a meal on a searing day. You can order Faloodehye shirazi in Icecream shops and most tea houses (chai khaneh ).Having tea or faloodeh in the tea houses of the world famouse gardens of shiraz is recomended.