Fámjin is a village in Suðuroy, Faroe Islands.
Fámjin is situated on the west coast of Suðuroy. You travel to Suðuroy with the ferry Smyril (2-3 times daily) or by helicoptor (2-3 times a week). If you have travel in Suðuroy by car, you must first find Øravík, which is on the east coast, a few km south of the ferry port Krambatangi and north of the village Hov. From Øravík there is a road crossing the island to the village Fámjin. The road ends there and you need to take the same way back again. The buss line 701 drives to Fámjin from Tvøroyri and Krambatangi or one of the other villages on the northern part of the island. Be aware that the buss does not drive in the evenings, you find the time schedule on www.ssl.fo (See Bygdaleiðir). Taxi is another option to reach Fámjin.
Taxi and busses in Suðuroy:
- Phone: 212324, Fámjin Bygdaleið by Arnbjørn í Smiðjuni, Fámjin. Two busses.
- Phone: 373380 or 213380, Hjørleif Holm, Vágur. Taxi.
- Phone: 227228, Annie Hentze, Trongisvágur. Taxi.
- Phone: 222918, Jákup Lindenskov, Vágur. Taxi.
- Phone: 215210 or 250350, David Findleton, Taxi and minibuss.
- Phone: 239550, Ludvig Poulsen Busses, Sumba/Vágur. Mini buss and buss.
- Phone: 222690, Trygvi Midjord, Minibuss taxi.
- Phone: 226566, Mikkjal Pauli Johansen, Trongisvágur,buss
- Phone: 282931, Poul Kjærbech, Hotel Tvøroyri, taxi and minibuss.
- Church of Fámjin (Fámjins Kirkja), Fløguvegur 1, FO-870 Fámjin, ☎ +298 611080. The church of Fámjin was built in 1876. The first Faroese flag is placed on the wall of the church in Fámjin. This flag was made in 1919 by a young student from Fámjin Jens Oliver Lisberg and his friend Emil Joensen, while they were living in Copenhagen. Lisberg died a few years later. The flag is called Merkið and was recognized as the Faroese flag in 1940 by the British government, during the Second World war. The Faroe Islands were occupied by Great Britain while Denmark was occupied by Germany. The Faroese flag is celebrated every year on the 25th of April in Fámjin as well as in other villages and town around the country. You can contact the Tourist Information Centre in Tvøroyri, if you wish to visit the church in Fámjin.
- Gorge of the Priest (Prestgjógv), Fámjin, Faroe Islands (Follow the road throug the village, the main road along the sea front. You will see Prestgjógv where the road ends.). Prestgjógv is a beautiful place just outside the village Fámjin, a little bit north of the village. Vertical cliffs and breaking waves just a few steps from the village.
There are no shops in Fámjin except for the coffee shop: Café Fámjin - The old Shop. More info under the section "Drink" on this page.
There are no restaurants in Fámjin, but there is a café, see the listing under the section "Drink" else where on this page.
- Café Fámjin - The Old Shop (Kaffistovan í Fámjin), Neystavegur 1, FO-870 Fámjin (Near the churh. Next to the beach.), ☎ +298 371446, . The Café Fámjin is a very cosy place with terrace both outside and inside. It is a popular place for both Faroese travellers and for foreign tourists, who manage to find their way to Suðuroy and Fámjin. The café serves warm waffles with whip cream and marmalade. Coffee or tea is also served. The Coffee shop also offers soft ice and sweets. You can call in advance, if you want to make sure, that the Café is open. If the phone number does not answer, try to ask the Tourist Information in Tvøroyri +298 611080 for another phone number. The owners of the coffee shop are the couple Eirikur and Ragnhild Olsen, who also own the Guesthouse Fámjin and the Guesthouse undir Heygnum in Tvøroyri.
- Guesthouse Fámjin (House of Eirikur and Ragnhild Olsen), Fámjinsvegur 25 (The house is next to the beach, in the beginning of the village, before you come to the church. The house is standing a bit by itself just west of a river.), ☎ +298 371446, . Eirikur Olsen has a house with two flats in Fámjin, which he rents for tourists. Eirikur Olsen also ownes the Café in Fámjin and the Guesthouse undir Heygnum in Tvøroyri. The house is in two floors, each floor has an appartment for 7 persons. 700 DKK pr. night pr. flat..