Excelsior is a city in the Twin Cities.
Excelsior was founded in the 1850s as a destination for vacationers, primarily from the cities of Minneapolis and St. Paul. Excelsior is located along beautiful Lake Minnetonka and offers numerous lake cruises and beaches. Throughout the years, Excelsior's Water Street has been the home to many businesses, including hotels, restaurants, and merchants. Today, Excelsior works hard to maintain its historical identity while renewing various elements of the downtown area.
The Minneapolis/St. Paul International Airport is only twenty miles from Excelsior.
Highway 7 runs through Excelsior and connects the city to Interstate 494, US 169, and Highway 100. Highway 7 also continues into Minneapolis.
- Excelsior Commons, Lake St, ☎ +1 952 474-5233. At the north end of town is The Commons park and recreation area with a swimming beach, playground, tennis courts, baseball diamonds, and picnicking.
- Lake Minnetonka Historical Society, 305 Water St, ☎ +1 952 221-4766, . The Society’s museum and archives are free and open to the public, and hold the largest collection of historic artifacts and documents in the area.
While it is a smaller town Excelsior is filled with fun activities for all ages. Situated along Lake Minnetonka the city is filled with trails to explore and parks to enjoy all year round.
- The Excelsior Trolley, 305 Water St, ☎ +1 952 922-1096, . Old trolley No. 78, a streetcar that originally ran from Minneapolis to Excelsior in the 1920s, has been restored and now runs between the Bayside Grille and the Farmer's Market in Excelsior. It's a charming experience that no one should miss. Operated by the Minnesota Streetcar Museum, which also operates the Como-Harriet streetcar line in Linden Hills, Minneapolis. $2 single ride or $5 day pass (also includes rides on the Como-Harriet streetcar).
- Lady of the Lake Paddle Wheel, 8 Water St, ☎ +1 952 929-1209, . Enjoy a beautiful Minnesota day or evening on the premier Lake Minnetonka charter boat, the Lady of the Lake.
- The Queen of Excelsior Cruises, 10 Water St, ☎ +1 952 470-8439, . Every Sunday, May through September, the QE offers a public Sunday Brunch. Cruising the pristine waters of Lake Minnetonka with friends or family is a great way to spend a Sunday.
- Excelsior Bay Charters, 436 Union Pl, ☎ +1 952 474-1171, . Sail through Lake Minnetonka gliding through bays and inlets, discovering the magnificent homes and historic estates.
- Steamboat Minnehaha, 400 Lake St, ☎ +1 952 474-2115, . 100+ year old historic streetcar Steamboat Minnehaha operated by nonprofit charity, The Museum of Lake Minnetonka.
- Old Log Theater, 5185 Meadville St, ☎ +1 952 474-5951, . Recognized as one of the most popular theaters in the U.S., the Old Log offers contemporary plays and comedies year-round and the theater's company of Equity actors include some of the finest talent in the Midwest.
- Excelsior Dock, 26 Water St, ☎ +1 763 682-3000. 3 theater cinema offering stadium seating and delicious popcorn.
A view of Water St in downtown Excelsior
Water Street in downtown Excelsior is lined with specialty stores and smart eateries. There are also shops located along 2nd and 3rd Streets, which run perpendicular to Water Street. Metered parking is available along Water Street, public parking is also available off 3rd Street. This historic shopping district offers a wide range of family owned and small town shops catering to many tastes.
- Capers Excelsior Gifts, 205 Water St, ☎ +1 952 474-1715, . Capers is THE place to ﬁnd the gift for that hard to buy for person. Located in the historic old Excelsior soda fountain, this store carries the charm and variety that every shopper loves.
- The Soap Box, 350 Second St, ☎ +1 952 474-4652, . Situated in Paris Tailor’s, The Soap Box in Excelsior carries a select range of scented soaps and oils from around the world.
- Provisions Excelsior, 200 Water St, ☎ +1 952 908-9650, . As featured in Midwest Home magazine, Provisions in Excelsior offers you pure shopping enjoyment. Located in the heart of Excelsior, Minnesota, Provisions offers thousands of creative and enjoyable gift ideas.
- Excelsior Coin, 449 2nd St, ☎ +1 952 474-4789, . Excelsior Coin and Collectibles has been in business for more tan 30 years. They have extensive knowledge of collectible coins, gold and silver and buy and sell on site.
- Country Look Antiques, 240 Water St, ☎ +1 952 474-0050, . Country Look Antiques is your everything antique store that’s chock full of unique treasures and fun finds.
- Mary Oneil Antiques Excelsior, 221 Water St, ☎ +1 952 470-0205, . Her consignees come from all over the US, including one from Germany. The store always has a change in furnishings as consignments arrive daily.
- Petunias Excelsior, 421 Third St, ☎ +1 952 474-0461, . Petunia’s in Excelsior is an exquisite mix of eclectic, vintage and newly discovered finds that brings you the most unique items for your home and garden.
- Cynthia Rae, 244 Water St, ☎ +1 952 401-4484, . A small boutique offering trendy, hip, and affordable clothing for women.
- Ooh La La, 274 Water St, ☎ +1 952 474-1743, . Two great store ideas within one place that truly compliment each other. Ooh La La features fashionable handbags, tees Voltage shoes and accessories at affordable-chic prices.
- Impact Clothing, 266 Water St, ☎ +1 952 470-1300, . A great place to find cool jeans, shirts and men’s accessories from brands like Fender and Rvtdcru. 100% net proceeds from their Global Missions products will go toward “World Vision” missions.
- Zelaz Clothing, 287 Water St, ☎ +1 952 920-1044, . Zelaz offers chic fashions for everyday and special occasions. Their uncommon clothing will inspire and delight you, and their basics will help complete your look.
- Meridian Boutique, 223 Water St, ☎ +1 952 474-4519, . A contemporary boutique offering an extrodinary hand-selected collection of contemporary designer apparel
- The Bungalow, 229 Water St, ☎ +1 952 474-4537, . The Bungalow offers a collection of swimwear not only from around the country, but around the world! From beach bags, handbags, handcrafted jewelry, flip flops, sunglasses and browning lotion The Bungalow has it all.
- Mojo & Moxy, 287 Water St, ☎ +1 952 475-2212, . This is the rockin’ home of free willed ladies, with a heart of gold and style that turns heads. They travel far and wide to bring you hand pick’d jewels, tees, buckles, boots, jeans and treasures to your fingertips.
- Simply Nuts!, 217 Water St., ☎ +1 952 401-8699, . Simply Nuts & More a family owned store for healthy nuts, trial mixes, candy and chocolate along with corporate gifts.
- Wilcock Gallery, 218 Water St, ☎ +1 952 470-8118, . Original oil, watercolor and pastel paintings by top regional and national artists.
- Noahs Ark Pet Store, 40 Water St, ☎ +1 952 474-1936, . Noah’s Ark Fish & Pet Supply is a full service pet store.
- Minnetonka Music, 250 Water St, ☎ +1 952 474-3277, . Minnetonka Music offers a complete selection of musical instruments, music education, instrument repairs, school instrument programs, sound equipment, sheet music and instrument accessories.
- Sound Sisters, 234 Water St, ☎ +1 952 380-0144, . Sound Sisters Musical Equipment rental offer Sound System rentals, Stage Lighting, Effect Lighting, Video Projector rentals, Video screens and Backline Rental for Musicians, D.J.’s, Organizations, Events, Weddings, Parties both indoor and outdoor events and festivals.
- Excelsior Bay Books, 36 Water St, ☎ +1 952 401-0932, . An intimate setting on picturesque Water Street. This bookstore stands out based on its friendly staff, well chosen book selection, and perfect location. If they don’t have it, they’re more than happy to find it and order it for you.
- Heritage II, 50 Water St, ☎ +1 952 474-1231, . Offers the best traditions of Nordic, British and Celtic lifestyle in products that reflect yesterday, today and tomorrow.
- 318 Cafe, 318 Water St, ☎ +1 952 401-7902, . 318 is a quaint cafe located on Water Street and offers a small town feel with an urban vibe. Come for lunch or drop in later to catch a local artist and enjoy a glass of wine or beer.
- Adeles Custard, 800 Excelsior Blvd, ☎ +1 952 470-0035, . At Adeleʼs, they make every batch of homemade frozen custard on-site with fresh, premium ingredients from their own unique recipeʼs resulting in custard that’s rich, creamy and delicious.
- Bayside Grille, 687 Excelsior Blvd, ☎ +1 952 470-8975, . Escape the ordinary and experience the Bayside Grille, Lake Minnetonkaʼs hot spot for unparalleled waterfront deck dining, fantastic drinks, and sunsets you wonʼt soon forget!