Erdek is a resort town on the southern coast of the Sea of Marmara, in Southern Marmara Region, Turkey.
Erdek, historically known by its Greek name, Artaki, is the principal town of rugged and wooded Kapıdağ Peninsula, which is connected to the rest of the mainland by a marshy tombolo, and indeed was one of the Marmara Islands only about 2000 years ago.
Erdek was one of the most favoured domestic tourism destinations in Turkey up until 1980s, when more and more people started to "discover" Mediterranean and Southern Aegean coasts, further afield from major population centres of the country. However, Erdek is still quite one of the major domestic summer resorts, especially for mid-class families.
- Tourism Information Office (Turizm Danışma), ☎ +90 266 835-11-69.
Erdek is close to Bandirma, so one of the easiest ways to get to Erdek from Istanbul is to take one of the fast ferries operating between Istanbul and Bandirma, and then to catch a minibus to Erdek (which takes 20 minutes to get to from Bandırma).
- Open-Air Museum (Açık Hava Müzesi).
- Zeytin (Zeytin Adası). Zeytin is a small islet covered with pine trees 250 mt off the coast of downtown Erdek. There are some marble ruins on it, including a temple.
- Kyzikos (Cyzicus), (close to the highway between Erdek and Bandırma). Once a major city of Mysia, first built by Thessalian colonists and later expanded by Romans, ruins of Kyzikos lies just southeast of Erdek, close to the tombolo that connects the peninsula with the mainland, and indeed dates back to the time when the peninsula was still an island.
- Öztoprak Motel, Kastri Mevkii, ☎ +90 266 855-70-29 (email@example.com), . A fun family place with beachfront bungalows (somewhat primitive, though) amidst gardens. Double room 70 TL/90 TL half-board/full-board.
- Abant Camping, Mangırcı Mevkii, ☎ +90 266 855 70 88.
- Ant Camping, Düzler Mevkii (on the Erdek-Bandırma highway, 6 km southeast of Erdek), ☎ +90 266 855-70-44 (, firstname.lastname@example.org), . RV-camping in a pine woods right on the beach. Power hook-ups, kitchen, wireless internet, and washing machines are available. €12 per caravan/night, including two adults.
- Gökçe Turistik Tesisleri, ☎ +90 266 855 70 55.
- Ipek Camping, ☎ +90 266 855 71 64.
- Kizikos Camping, ☎ +90 266 855 70 71.
- Ünlü Camping, Çuğra Mevkii, ☎ +90 266 835 17 49.
- Yesilim Camping, Çuğra Mevkii, ☎ +90 266 835 30 04.
(+90) 266 is Erdek’s telephone code.
From Erdek, there are regular ferries to Marmara Islands (takes about 1hr 45min) and further out to Tekirdağ which is located on the opposite coast of the Sea of Marmara.