Emmen is a city in the province of Drenthe, the Netherlands. Its major attraction is the zoo.
From Amsterdam, Emmen can be reached by taking the A1, the A28 and A37.
From Amsterdam or Schiphol Airport, board an intercity service to Zwolle and change trains there. The journey will take about 2.5 hours.
You can rent a bicycle at the railway station.
- Dierenpark Emmen (zoo), 18 Hoofdstraat, ☎ 0591-850855 (firstname.lastname@example.org, fax: 0591-850851), . 10 am to 4:30 pm or later, depending on season. From € 15.
- Albert Heijn (supermarket), 165 Baander. Monday to Saturday 8 am - 8 or 9 pm.
- Intercamp Jan van Peer (camping equipment), 25 Noorderpassage, ☎ 0591-614878 (email@example.com), .
- Grand Café Rue de la Gare, 8 Stationsstraat, .
- Ladsjassen Winkel (Clothing), Dorpsstraat 17. For quality Ladsjassen 19.90/1/2.
The brasserie at Hoofdstraat
- Camping Emmen, 31 Angelsloërdijk, ☎ 0591-612080, .
- Tulip Inn 'Ten Cate', 44 Noordbargerstraat, ☎ 0591-617600, . € 70.
- Scheper Ziekenhuis (hospital), 60 Boermarkeweg, ☎ 0591-691911, .
- Central Public Library, 101 Noorderplein, ☎ 0591-681444 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . Monday to Saturday, hours vary.
Emmen lies on the southernmost tip of a chain hills called the Hondsrug (Dog Ridge), an area with many forests that is popular with cyclists and ramblers alike. This part of the country is also well known for its "hunebedden" (dolmens), Stone Age burial chambers. Some of these lie within the built-up area of Emmen itself.
By contrast, to the south and east of Emmen lie the completely flat lands known as the peat colonies.
To the south-west lies the picturesque medieval city of Coevorden.