Elmina is a city in Central Ghana.
It's name comes from the Portuguese word for "Mine". The gold found in these mines are also the origin of the name "Gold Coast", which was the name of what is now Ghana, when it was a British Colony.
Take a Tro-Tro or Bus to Cape Coast. From there, a shared taxi costs less than 1 Gh¢ to Elmina.
Within Elmina, shared taxis are very common. The Beach Resorts in Ampenyi or Brenu Akinyim can be reached only by dropping cars and cost 10-12 Gh¢.
- Elmina Castle (UNESCO World Heritage Monument), (10 km west of Cape Coast), . Built in 1482, Elmina Castle is the oldest European structure in Africa. Elmina was a notorious slave fort used for moving slaves onto ships bound for other parts of the world. Although today it is a tourist attraction, but once was a prison used by the Ghanaian government. It is quite a sobering experience, similar in tone to a Holocaust museum, so prepare to be moved.
- Elmina Bay Hotel, Elmina (Along from the Coconut Grove Hotel), ☎ 0205660670, . Great restaurant and bar - right by the beach. The menu is wide with pizzas, pasta, steaks, fish all cooked up fresh by Chef. Some very naughty puddings - chocolate fudge cake, lemon tart, cheesecake, almond and apricot tart, apple pie - yum yum. Extensive wine list with nice glasses to drink from as well. Well worth stopping at for just food if nothing else.
- Elmina Bay, Mbofra Akyinim (Along from Coconut Grove Hotel), ☎ 0541614812, . checkin: 26/06/09; checkout: 28/06/09. A brand new quality hotel. All rooms have sea view and own balcony and are comfortably furnished. Good food, efficient staff. Lovely pool. Good for walking along the beach and just chilling out. Highly recommended. US$90.
- Brenu Beach Resort, Brenu Akyinim (Take a tro-tro from GOIL/Pedu Junction along the Accra-Takoradi road towards Takoradi. Get off at Ayensudo junction, then hire a taxi from the main road to Brenu Beach.), . A well-tended private beach, better for swimming than the beaches in Cape Coast, only a 15-20 minute Tro-Tro ride away. There is a restaurant/bar on premises which offers a great variety of Ghanian and International dishes for 5-10 Gh¢. Camping/rooms are available. 1 Gh¢ entry fee for the day.]
- KO-SA Beach Resort, Ampenyi (Take a tro-tro from Cape Coast or Elmina towards Takoradi. Get off at Ayensudo junction, then hire a taxi to Ko-Sa for 2-3 Gh¢.), ☎ +233-244-375432, . Well tended beach resort run by a dutch couple. Rocks on the sea ground make it difficult to swim, but there are several great places for swimming or bodyboarding around Ampenyi Bay. Great restaurant with international and Ghanaian dishes for 6-12 Gh¢. 10-30 €.