The Monastery of Geden Sheddup Choikorling
Elista  is the capital of Kalmykia.
The city was founded in 1865, and has a population of just over 100,000.
Flights from Moscow are a few times a week on Rusline. There are more regular flights to Volgograd and Rostov, with transfer to Elista by bus or train respectively.
The Moscow-Elista train route goes through Stavropol. However, the most convenient way is travel to Volgograd by train then on to Elista by express minivan, which are relatively cheap.
Several private companies operate a daily bus service between Moscow and Elista. The pickup point in Moscow is Luzhniki Stadium. A one-way ticket costs about 1350RUR.
Mini-buses ply routes around the city.
- The Golden Temple - a large, modern Buddhist monastery
- The Museum of Kalmyk Buddhist Art - recommended
- The Museum of Local Lore
- The Museum of Buddhist History
- The Gallery of Fine Arts
- The Kazansky Cathedral
- Drama Theater
- Puppet Theater
- Play Chess
- Kalmyk puzzle nyarn shandzh (нярн шандж)
- Uralan (Уралан)
- Khan's Hunt (Ханская Охота)
- Restaurant Concord (Конкорд)
- Cafe Kalmyk Cuisine (Калмыцкая Кухня)
- Restaurant White Lotus (Белый Лотос)
You can drink Kalmyk tea
- Hotel Elista, 1 Gorodovikova ul. Tel:+7 84722 62316
- Hotel City Chess, Uralan district. Tel:+7 84722 58405
- White Lotus Hotel, Khoninova Str., 7
- Khurul Monastery - about 6 km from the city.