El Segundo is along the Pacific Ocean, just south of Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) in Los Angeles County.
El Segundo is one of the oldest cities in the Los Angeles area. It is generally accepted that the city is named after the second (Spanish: el segundo) Standard Oil refinery on the West Coast, built in 1911.
El Segundo is two cities in one. The coastal portion is a residential suburb with a charming Main Street which looks frozen in time. Locals both affectionately and derisively call it "Mayberry By The Sea", referring to the sleepy fictional town which was the setting for the American television show "The Andy Griffith Show" in the early 1960s.
The "inland portion" of El Segundo is a thriving business district. Many large aerospace companies have facilities in El Segundo, including Boeing, Raytheon, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman and The Aerospace Corporation, which is headquartered here. It is also home to the Los Angeles Air Force Base and the Space and Missile Systems Center and Toy Manufacturer, Mattel.
El Segundo is also home to the blue butterfly, now an endangered species. These butterflies which once used to reside in the sand dunes of El Segundo over an area of 4.5 square miles have now been pushed into three small areas of what is left of those dunes.
El Segundo is immediately south of LAX and most hotels offer free shuttle transfers to and from the airport. The cost of the shuttle (round trip) is around $10.
El Segundo Metro Green Line Station
The Metro Green Line runs along the eastern edge of El Segundo, with both Mariposa/Nash and El Segundo/Nash stations within the city limits.
El Segundo is a nice and quiet place to stay if you want to roam around in the rest of LA during the day. With LAX airport in close proximity it is quite a comfortable place to stay.
Like in most places in Los Angeles, you will most likely need a car to move around. However, you can easily get anywhere within El Segundo by bicycle, or you can even walk if you will be staying in the central area where most of the restaurants are. The beach is also within walking distance from the central area.
- Automobile Driving Museum, 610 Lairport St, ☎ +1 310 909 0950, . Tu-Su 10:00-16:00. Founded in 2001, this a free non-profit museum with a rotating collection of 130 classic, antique and vintage automobiles on display. Donation only.
Walking on the beach is one of the best ways to spend time in El Segundo
Views to the ocean from Sepulveda Blvd. LAX to the right
- Dockweiler State Beach, 12000 Vista del Mar, . Located partially in El Segundo, including the only RV park on the beach in California.
- Toyota Sports Center (formerly Health South Training Center). A public skating facility located at the corner of Nash Street and Mariposa Avenue, adjacent to the LA Metro station. The facilites include an Olympic sized ice rink, NHL sized ice hockey rink, indoor in-line hockey rink, indoor basketball court, cafe serving hot food and drinks, gymnasium for professional athletes, skate rental shop, fully stocked skate and hockey pro shop, and locker and shower facilities. This is the official training facility for the Lakers NBA basketball team and the Los Angeles Kings NHL ice hockey team. The TSC is also home to the Angel City Derby Girls, LA's only flat track roller derby league. The TSC also houses the 7th largest organized adult ice hockey league in the nation.
- The Lakes Golf Course, 400 South Sepulveda Blvd., ☎ +1-310-322-0202 (fax: +1-310-322-5290), . 06:00-23:00. This nine hole, par 29, 1,327-yard municipal course won't be hosting any PGA tour events anytime soon, but it's an excellent course for beginners or those with an extended layover at LAX. There is also a double-deck driving range and a large putting area. $11 green fee on weekday, $13 on weekends and holidays.
- Old Town Music Hall, 140 Richmond St El Segundo, CA 90245, ☎ +1-310-322-2592, . F 20:00-23:30, Sa 14:00-20:00, Su 14:00-18:30. A treasured cultural landmark, Old Town Music Hall is where both locals and passerby's come for vintage, silent and sound film and live concerts by some of the world's finest performers of jazz, ragtime, and popular music from the past.
- El Segundo Dog Park, E Imperial Ave, . The park allows dogs to run without a leash and socialize with others. The park has a separate section for little dogs as well.
- El Segundo Skate Park, E Grand Ave.
- Recreation Park, 401 Sheldon St. Small and nice place for those interested in sport activities. You can play tennis, baseball, soccer. The ping pong are is very popular. the park is very well maintained. Cool place to go for a picnic.
- Encounter, 209 World Way (in Los Angeles International Airport), ☎ +1 310 215 5151, . Su-Tu 11:00-21:00, W-Sa 11:00-21:30m. Suspended 70 feet above ground in the quadripod at the center of LAX, the attraction of this restaurant is eating in a fanciful science-fiction-style location with excellent views of the airport. The food is tasty but unsurprising California cuisine, done with good ingredients and creative presentation that makes the price worthwhile. Those who just want a drink can also drop by the bar with its giant lava lamps and psychedelic lighting. $50-60 (entrees $30-40 each, half that for lunch).
- Farmstand, 422 Main St, ☎ +1 310 640 3276, . M-F 11:00-22:00, Sa-Su 16:00-22:00. Upscale casual lunch and dinner restaurant. High-quality ingredients with a Mediterranean touch. Vegetarian and Gluten-free options. Moderate.
- Sabra Beirut Mix, 400 N Sepulveda Blvd, ☎ +1 310 607 9999, . M-Th 10am-10pm, F-Sa 10:00-23:00. Mediterranean cuisine. Good and affordable option for lunch."
- The Hummus Factory, 204 E. Grand Ave, ☎ +1 310 322 1000, . M-F 11am-8pm, closed weekends. An unassuming Lebanese restaurant located in a strip-mall near downtown El Segundo, the Hummus Factory is generally packed at lunch times. The menu offers a small selection of simple yet well-prepared dishes including kebabs, falafel, and of course numerous hummus choices. Ordering is done from a counter, and the staff then prepares your meal and brings it out to you. $6-15.
- Trimana Grill, 909 N Sepulveda Blvd, ☎ +1 310 726 0920, . M-F 07:00-17:00, Closed Sa-Su. Chain restaurant in the bottom floor of an office tower next to LAX. Salads and sandwiches serving the local businesses. Also has a small mini market. "Trimana: when you're too tired to go somewhere farther away."
- The Soup Bar, 310 E Grand Ave, ☎ +1 855 768 7227, . 11:00-20:00. This is a great place for a light lunch. The soups and salads are very good and the prices are standard for Los Angeles. They are only open until 19:00 Saturdays. $6-10.
- Petit Cafe 630 N Sepulveda Blvd #3A 90245 (In a strip mall with Pollo Loco, Subway and Sizzler), ☎ (310) 322 9139. M-F 7:00-21:30, Sa 8:00-21:00, Su 9:00-20:00. Casual and small "Mediterranean grill" will many options from sandwiches, pizzas, salads, and platters. The chicken philly is a standout. Ask for the Original Fries. $9-$12.
- The Tavern on Main, 123 Main St., ☎ +1-310-322-3645, . Well, it's a tavern, and it's located on Main. Live bands on weekends, happy hour on weekdays from 11AM (yes, 11AM) until 6:30PM, and free wireless internet for those who like their web surfing with a beer buzz.
- The Office Downtown, 206 E. Grand Ave., ☎ +1-310-648-3131.
- The Purple Orchid, 221 Richmond Street (at Grande), ☎ +1-310-322-5829. This bar is tiki-themed with a small stage that sees local bands playing regularly. It is often described as one of the best tiki-themed bars in Southern California, but even for the most demanding critics, if it's a tiki bar you want this place won't disappoint. Drinks are somewhat on the pricey side, with cocktails averaging about $8.50.
- Paul Martin's American Bistro, 2361 Rosecrans Ave. (10 Minutes South of LAX), ☎ +1-310-643-9300, . M-Th 11am-10pm, F 11am-11pm, Sa 12pm-11pm, Su 10am-9pm. “Eat organic. Believe in sustainable. Buy local. Love fresh” is the mantra of top California restaurant, Paul Martin’s American Bistro. As much as possible, that’s what Paul Martin’s aims to deliver, and at accessible prices, with plates priced mostly between $10 and $22. Under $30. (33.930827,-118.383179)
- Rock & Brews, 143 Main St, ☎ +1-310-615-9890, . Nice local pub with fairly priced ($10-$15) American food. The places organizes concerts irregularly.
- Courtyard Los Angeles LAX/El Segundo, 2000 East Mariposa Avenue, ☎ +1-310-322-0700 (fax: +1-310-322-4401), . Free shuttle rides from LAX and free Wi-Fi. Rooms are fairly big and equipped with balconies and free Internet. Facilities include outdoor pool, indoor whirlpool, and a (very minimal) fitness center. $99-.
- Embassy Suites LAX - North, 9801 Airport Blvd, Phone: +1310-215-1000, Fax: 1-310-215-1952,  Located close to the heart of Los Angeles, California. Just a half-mile from the airport, with free 24-hour shuttle service. Minutes from Manhattan Beach and Route 405 into downtown Los Angeles. A short drive into downtown L.A., Beverly Hills, and Hollywood
- Residence Inn Los Angeles LAX/El Segundo, 2135 East El Segundo Blvd., ☎ +1-310-333-0888 (fax: +1-310-333-0789), .
- Hyatt Summerfield Suites, 810 South Douglas Street, ☎ +1-310-725-0100, . Just 16 miles from downtown L.A. and 30 minutes from Anaheim. Marina Del Rey is six miles west.
- Concord Hotel, 221 Concord Street, ☎ +1-310-322-6116. Weekly rates, not often available. Common bathrooms. WiFi available, free and FON.com
- Holiday Inn LAX Airport Hotel, 9901 La Cienega Blvd, Tel. +1 310 694-5151, . Located within a mile of the Los Angeles International Airport (LAX). Offers free 24-hour airport shuttle.
- Los Angeles - The nation's second most populous city offers various entertainment options, fine museums, restaurants, and shopping. Also see the popular Venice Beach.
- Culver City - A neighboring city and the home of Sony Studios that in recent years has been undergoing a rebirth and now has an increasing number of food, shopping and entertainment options.
- Santa Monica - A lovely city on the shores of the Pacific Ocean. Enjoy the Santa Monica Pier, the city's beaches, and shopping at Third Street Promenade.
- Marina del Rey - (Spanish: The marina of the King) is home to a vast number of restaurants and hotels, and while not as touristy as some of the neighboring beach cities is nonetheless a fun spot to spend an evening.
- Manhattan Beach - El Segundo's neighbor to the South is home to a state beach as well as several upscale restaurants and shopping opportunties.
- Inglewood - A slightly rough city to the east of El Segundo, Inglewood has numerous lodging options for those wishing to stay close to the airport.
|Routes through El Segundo
WikiPedia::El Segundo, California
Dmoz:North America/United States/California/Localities/E/El Segundo