- For other places with the same name, see El Cerrito (disambiguation).
El Cerrito is just north of Albany in Contra Costa County.
Both Oakland International Airport (IATA: OAK) and San Francisco International Airport (IATA: SFO) have Bay Area Rapid Transit (BART) stations. Take the Richmond Line to to the El Cerrito Plaza Station or El Cerrito Del Norte station. If traveling by car, take the Central Avenue exit from Interstate 80 or Interstate 580.
Because the cities and towns on the eastern shore of the San Francisco Bay all butt up against each other and function as one large metro area, it's likely that you will also visit El Cerrito's neighboring East Bay towns, such as Berkeley, Emeryville, Albany, and Richmond, so much of the information about getting to those places also applies to getting to El Cerrito.
- Metallica House, 3132 Carson Blvd (4 blocks west of the Plaza BART station.). This non-descript house housed the members of heavy metal band Metallica from 1983-1986. In the house and garage they wrote and rehearsed the songs for 'Ride the Lightening' and 'Master of Puppets.'
- The Cerrito Theater, . 10070 San Pablo Avenue, El Cerrito, 94530 ("Four blocks west from El Cerrito Plaza BART Station and one block north from El Cerrito Plaza.") +1 510 814-2400 Catch a movie and dine in style at this lovingly restored Art Deco theater, currently operated by the Rialto Cinemas Cerrito . The Cerrito Theater features pub grub and beer, which you can polish off while you watch your movie, and has couches and tables, as well as traditional theater seating. In addition to the latest blockbusters, The Cerrito features classic films, and hosts special events. There are also special baby and toddler friendly screening times.
- Fat Apple's Restaurant & Bakery 7525 Fairmount Avenue, +1 510 528-3433. Fat Apples is a local tradition, serving typical breakfast staple items, such as waffles, buttermilk pancakes, and home fries, as well as few unusual ones (the pumpkin pancakes are delicious). The lunch and dinner menus are full of homey family fare, such as cheese burgers, onion rings, spaghetti, tuna melts, and salads. But the main attraction is the baked goods and deserts. The on-site bakery, which supplies the Berkeley Fat Apples restaurant, serves up delicious pies, cakes, cookies, cheese puffs, and all sorts of other baked items fresh from the oven. The El Cerrito Fat Apples is located in a converted grocery store space, which won a prize for its deconstructed interior, and the focal point of the restaurant is the huge, red bakery oven sitting in the center of an open kitchen.
- Nation's Giant Hamburgers 6060 Central Ave. +1 510 528-8888. 24 Hours Daily. El Cerrito is the headquarters of the famous Northern California hamburger chain. Nation's is often voted "best burger" in local newspaper polls. The flagship store on the corner of Central and San Pablo serves up monster burgers, fries, and shakes, as well as breakfast all day (and night), and fresh pies. Vegetarians can gobble "Harvester" meatless burgers and scarf down excellent hashbrowns.
|Routes through El Cerrito