Ein Gedi (the plateau covered with trees) from a distance. Taken from the top of the Arugot canyon
Ein Gedi (Hebrew:עין גדי) is an oasis located in the Judian Desert, near the Dead Sea, between Masada and the caves of Qumran.
The Ein Gedi National Park is the biggest and the most important oasis in Israel. The park is found in the Dead Sea Valley, which is an effect of the Great Rift Valley.
In the park there are two sprung-fed rivers that streams for the all year: the David Stream and the Arugot Stream, and two more springs the Shulamit and Ein Gedi springs, also flow in the reserve.
Ein Gedi Kibbutz is a kibbutz located few dozens of meters southern than the park. In the kibbutz there is a beautiful botanic garden  with more than 900 species from the entire world. The garden, that covers about 100 dunam, is the only botanic garden in the world with a settlement.
Ein Gedi is located on Road 90, which goes down the Israeli coast of the Dead Sea. It is also possible to reach Ein Gedi via buses from Jerusalem's central bus station (Line 486) or From Tel aviv (Line 421).
- Ein Gedi Nature Reserve, The Ein Gedi Nature Reserve is on Route 90 (Dead Sea road) about 1 kilometer north of Kibbutz Ein Gedi, ☎ +972-7-658-4285 (fax: +972-7-652-0228), . April-September: 8:00-17:00, October-March: 8:00-16:00. Situated near the Kibbutz, visitors have access to the adjacent nature reserve for viewing bird sanctuaries and wildlife of the desert, including the Nubian ibex. Hikers have the choice of following two riverbeds and can follow trails past waterfalls, springs, caves, canyons and an early Bronze Age temple.
- Ein Gedi Public beach, ☎ +972-8-6594433.
- Hamai Zohar Public Beach, ☎ +972-8-6594433. Alternative to Ein Bokek and Ein Gedi beaches with separate bathing for men and women.
- Ein Gedi Spa Beach, ☎ +972-8-6594413. The signature element of the Dead Sea - black mud, has both cosmetic and therapeutic benefits known to cleanse and stimulate the skin. Relieve muscle and emotional tension; improve blood circulation and ease rheumatic pain at Ein Geidi Spa beach.
Eat & drink
- Pundak Ein Gedi - a restaurant betwean Wadi Arugot and the Kibbutz.
- The Ein Gedi Beit Sarah Guest House, Near the Dead Sea road (# 90) at the entrance to the Nahal David reservation, ☎ +972-08-6584165 (email@example.com, fax: +972-08-6584445), . A guest house in the oasis of Ein Gedi with 51 rooms, some of which with balconies.
Camping is allowed for free on the Ein-Gedi coast (aprox. 500m south of the kibbutz itself), toilets and showers are on site for a small fee. The ground is a bit stony so any kind of mattress is useful.