Echternach is a small town with about 5000 inhabitants on the eastern border of Luxembourg, just a hop away from Germany. It's Luxembourg's oldest town, based on an old monastery founded in 698.
Assumed you come from Luxembourg city, you can get there by
- Bus: The buslines 111 and 110 take you from the central station and the main bus station (Aldringer) to Echternach in under one hour.
- Car: Leaving the city via Kirchberg, the directions to Echternach are well explained.
- Bike: Via Kirchberg, you got a perfectly signed cycling-trail which should take about 3 hours.
As Echternach is a small town, you can easily get around by walking.
- The old abbey founded in 698 by St. Willibrord is one of the must-sees in Echternach. Today, it's a school building for high-school classes (7th-13th grade). The basilica next to it still serves as church of Echternach. If you're interested in the history of the monastery, there is a small but nice museum next to it.
- The town square with its square cross and the historical guildhall "Denzelt" is a nice place to see and stay.
- The roman villa about 20 minutes walk from the centre shows the remains of an ancient roman house. A walk-through is free, worth a visit.
- The lake is an artificial lake. Enjoy the silence around it, 20 minutes walk from the city centre.
- Visit the small cinema "Cine Sura", the oldest movie theatre in Luxembourg. Shows from Friday-Wednesday.
- Macarons mous, typical traditional sweets. Taste like pure sugar, but at least you should give them a try. Can be bought at the Patisserie Zimmer and Patisserie Simon.
- Italian and Chinese restaurants are the main appearance in Echternach. Try the restaurant Giorgio, they have quite a good Italian kitchen.
- Close to the police station, there is a really good kebab restaurant, worth a try.
Most cafés are situated around the town square and the main shopping road
- 'Café de la Poste (Wohli)' offers a nice ambiance on two floors and a small terrace for summer evenings. Also got some minor fast-food.
- Café 'Aal Eechternoach' is mainly nice because of its terrace directly on the town square.
- 'Café Philo'soff' is still an insider-tip. Typical students-pub in the main shopping road. Especially the garden is nice. Very crowded on Friday evenings
- The new youth hostel offers cheap and comfy beds.