Eastern Yunnan is in China.
- Qujing Prefecture
- Wenshan Prefecture - bordering Vietnam as well as Guangxi Province and Guizhou Province. Wenshan Prefecture is one of the poorest regions of China, due to its rocky and pourous karst soil. For the tourist however there are beautiful karst peaks, most notably around Puzhehei and Babao.
- Zhaotong Prefecture
- Funing - near the border to Guizhou
- Guangnan - an old trading town
- Qujing - capital of Qujing Prefecture
- Wenshan - capital of Wenshan Prefecture, once known as Kaihua
- Zhaotong - capital of Zhaotong Prefecture
The main tourist attractions of Wenshan Prefecture are the karst regions around Puzhehei, near Qiubei, and Babao, near Funing. But particularly along the Vietnamese border there are many ethnic groups, such as the Yi, Miao, Yao as well as the dominant Zhuang.