East China is the new economic center of the country.
- Hangzhou (Zhejiang Province), former capital with a famous lake, one of China's top destinations for domestic tourists. Marco Polo said of Hangzhou the city is beyond dispute the finest and the noblest in the world. The Chinese have a saying that heaven has paradise but Earth has Hangzhou and Suzhou.
- Nanjing (Jiangsu Province), capital under several dynasties, most recently 1912-1949
- Ningbo (Zhejiang Province), a major trading port in the tea clipper era, still an important port and industrial city
- Shanghai, China's largest city and greatest economic center; in some ways, the cultural capital as well
- Suzhou (Jiangsu Province), old city of canals and gardens, now a major center for high tech. The Chinese have a saying that heaven has paradise but Earth has Hangzhou and Suzhou.
- Wenzhou (Zhejiang Province)
- Xikou (Zhejiang Province)
- Zhouzhuang (Jiangsu Province)