East China is the new economic center of the country.
- Hangzhou (Zhejiang Province), former capital with a famous lake, one of China's top destinations for domestic tourists. Marco Polo considered it the largest and most beautiful city on Earth.
- Nanjing (Jiangsu Province), capital under several dynasties, most recently 1912-1949
- Ningbo (Zhejiang Province), a major trading port in the tea clipper era
- Shanghai, China's largest city and greatest economic center; in some ways, the cultural capital as well
- Suzhou (Jiangsu Province), old city of canals and gardens, now a major center for high tech
- Wenzhou (Zhejiang Province)
- Xikou (Zhejiang Province)
- Zhouzhuang (Jiangsu Province)