Earth : Asia : South Asia : India : Western India : Gujarat : Saurashtra : Dwarka
Dwarka : Original Dwarka believed to be sunken in the sea. Divers till today are researching, after finding the atrifacts from the sea floor. Near by small island is known as Bet Dwarka- Hire a boat from dwarka to go there.Bet Dwarks is a part mud and part sand beach. However, it's the best palce for zoologists.
Dwarka is 450 kms from Ahmedabad and is well connected by Road and Rail. The nearest Airport is at Rajkot which is 225 kms or Jamnagar which is 121 kms from Dwarka. Kingfisher, Spicejet, Goair and Jet Airways operate regular flights to these places. Railway station is located almost 2 km from main Temple
There are a lot of places around Dwarka which can be covered in a Single Day. There are local taxies which are available which would help you to visit them. The major ones covered are:
1. Nageshwar Temple - This is also one of the prominent Jyotirlingas and it is at around 8 Kms from Dwarka.
2. Gopi Talav - This is the place where Lord Krishna used to play with his Gopikas. There is a small pond where it is said that Lord Krishna used to play with the Gopika Strees (Gopika Women).
3. Bet Dwarka - This is supposed to be the place where Krishna lived. This is the place where Krishna used to reside and this is the place where Lord Krishna met his friend Sudama and blessed him, there is a Peetha(Seat) where Lord Krishna met Sudama. The temple also has the main Dwarkadish diety which was believed to have been made by Krishna's chief Queen Rukmini and in which Meera bai merged and disappeared from the material world. There are boats available from Okha Jetty from where people are ferried to the Island which is approximately 30 Kms from Dwarka.
4. Hanuman Mandir - This is also in the Bet Dwarka where Hanuman fought with his son Makaradhwaja. To cover this place, it is adviced to start as early as 7:00 in the morning as this is lonely place and a rickshaw has to be hired to visit this place.
5. Rukshmani Mandir - This temple is situated at 8 Kms from Dwarka. This is in the outskirts of the city and this is a lonely temple and there is an interesting story of Rukmini being cursed by sage Durvasa because of which the temple is situated outside the city and its because of this curse only that the water in Dwarka city is salty.
All these places are at an approximate radius of 80kms from Dwarka and the taxies normally charge Rs. 600 (per half day) for this. This cost does not cover the boat charges as well as other entry taxes applicable and the visit to Hanuman Temple at Bet Dwarka.
Visit the Dwarkadheesh Temple which is also called as the Jagad Mandir
Decorative items made from marine shells.
Alcohol is prohibited in Dwarka. Do not expect any place to serve Alcohol here.
Hotel City Palace, Dwarka. 5 minutes walk from Dwarkadheesh temple.
To get more information about the Temple, you may contact.
The Administrator Shree Dwarkadhish Temple Dwarka : 361 335 Dist.: Jamnagar Gujarat- India Phone:+91 - 2892 - 234090.
Timings: 9:00 a.m. to 1.00 p.m. 3.00 p.m. to 6.10 p.m. On all the working days except Public Holidays.