Dubbo is a town in the Central West of New South Wales, Australia.
Dubbo is approximately a four hour drive west of Lithgow on the Great Western and Mitchell Highways, and a six hour drive west of Sydney.
Dubbo is accessible from Newcastle (via the New England and Golden Highways). Approximately four hour drive.
Countrylink operates several train and bus connections between Sydney and Dubbo every day: there is a direct train service once a day, and a number of bus connections meeting trains from Sydney terminating at Lithgow.
Regional Express operates flights to Dubbo from Sydney and Broken Hill.
There is an off-road cycleway from the centre of Dubbo out to the Western Plains Zoo. Is is an easy cycle, and then you can use your bike to cycle around the zoo as well.
The zoo is only a short distance from town, and it is quite economical to catch a taxi there. You can hire a bicycle at the zoo to get around when you get there.
- The Western Plains Zoo, Obley Road, ph 02 6882 5888, . Opening hours 9AM-5PM. This large open range zoo, one of the finest zoos in New South Wales, has both exotic and native animals, including elephants, giraffes, and the rare black rhinos currently the focus of a breeding program at the zoo. The Zoo is quite large, and it is both useful and fun to hire a bicycle to get around. Admission is $27 adults, $14 children 4-15, $19 concessions and free for children under 4. Tickets are valid for entry on two consecutive days.
- Dubbo Kart Club, Ph: (02) 6884 5321 Mob: 0428480714. Home of the Lincoln County Raceway, the Dubbo Kart Club . Has hire karts available and hosts Local, State, National and International karting events. Contact the club for details: PO Box 1592, Dubbo, NSW 2830 AUSTRALIA.
- Farmer’s Markets There are Farmer’s Markets every month in Dubbo, NSW. They are on the first and third Saturday of every Month, near the Tourist Information Centre. Fresh Produce, poultry, coffee, jams, preserves, Olive Oil, sourdough bread, etc.
- Orana Dragon Boat, . Orana dragon Boat is crewed by eighteen paddlers, a sweep who steers the boat from the back and a drummer who calls time in the front. Their boat is housed near Sandy Beach and usually paddle in the straight stretch of the Macquarie River between Sandy Beach and the Weir.
- sSs BBQ Barns, corner of Darling and Cobra Street, ☎ (02) 6884 3333 (firstname.lastname@example.org, fax: (02) 6884 3717), . Wonderful steakhouse with country atmosphere, food and service.>
There are a number of pubs and bars in Dubbo, with The Commercial Hotel, The Pastoral Hotel, Milestone, Western Star, Macquarie Inn and Dubbo RSL to name just a few, attracting quite a few locals and tourists on weekends.
- Ampalee Bed and Breakfast, 11R Dunedoo Rd, (02) 6885 5366, . Self contained units located outside of Dubbo Proper. $150+$20 each over 2 people. Not kid friendly.
- Aberdeen Motor Inn, 25 Cobra St., (02)6884 1700, . Rooms, suites and family apartments located on Cobra street Dubbo.
- Blue Gum Inn, 109 Cobra Street, +61 2 6882 0900. Has several kid's rooms 2a and 3 kids.
- Dubbo Cabins and Caravan Park, 154 Whylandra Street, +61 (02) 6884 8633, .
- Fountain View Motel, 113-115 Cobra St. opposite Elston Park, 02 6882 9777, . Affordable accommodation.