| || |
|−|*'''The Silver Fountain Inn''', 103 Silver St., (888) 548-6888, [http://www.silverfountain.com/]. An elegant bed & breakfast in a historic Victorian mansion. Many of the home's Victorian details have been preserved; the house is quite stunning. | |
|−|*<sleep name="Homewood Suites of Dover" alt="" address="21 Members Way" directions="Take a left off of exit 9 from Route 16, 2 sets of lights and Homewood is there on your right" phone="603-516-0929" url="http://www.dovernh.homewoodsuites.com/ " checkin="3:00 PM" checkout="12:00 PM" price="125" lat="" long="">The Homewood Suites is a brand new hotel opened in October of 2008 located minutes from the center of downtown Dover. Our spacious studio, one- and/or two-bedroom suites feature separate living and sleeping areas. Each has a fully-equipped kitchen with full-size refrigerator, microwave, two-burner stove and dishwasher. You’ll find enough space for work, study or entertaining – plus all the comforts of home including two remote control TVs, complimentary high-speed internet access and two phones with voice mail. Enjoy a complimentary Suite Start® hot breakfast seven days a week and a Welcome Home Reception® featuring a complimentary light meal and beverages Monday through Thursday evenings (local laws apply). | |
|−|</sleep> | |
|−|*<sleep name="Dover Comfort Inn and Suites" alt="" address="10 Hotel Drive" directions="" phone="603-750-7507" url="http://www.comfortinn.com/hotel-dover-new_hampshire-NH014/Hotel-Services?sid=7fVn.E7zTSgBy0M.3" checkin="3:00PM" checkout="12:00PM" price="115" lat="" long="">Located right in the heart of downtown Dover, Comfort Inn and Suites is the perfect place to come enjoy the Seacoast! One of the few pet friendly area hotels, you are sure to enjoy your stay at the Comfort!</sleep> | |
|−|*<sleep name="Hampton Inn" alt="" address="9 Hotel Drive" directions="" phone="603-516-5600" url="http://www.hamptoninn.com/en/hp/hotels/index.jhtml?ctyhocn=PSMDOHX" checkin="3:00PM" checkout="11:00AM" price="115" lat="" long="">Located in the heart of Dover, The Hampton Inn is sure to please! With spacious, clean rooms, complimentary evening appetizers and drinks as well as a hot continental breakfast served seven days a week, the Hampton is the best place to stay with family!</sleep> | |
| || |
| || |
Revision as of 09:00, 8 June 2009
Dover is a city in New Hampshire, United States. Settled in 1623, it pre-dates the founding of America and is the 7th oldest city in the country.
- Dover is located off of the Spaulding Turnpike (Route 16), and is about 10 minutes from I-95, which connects to Maine and Massachusetts.
- Dover's train station is located in the center of downtown, at the intersection of Third Street and Chestnut Street, next to St. Mary's church. Amtrak's Downeaster connects Dover to Boston's North Station and Portland, Maine, along with several towns in between. During the summer, the Downeaster makes an additional stop at Old Orchard Beach. This comes in handy on summer weekends, when I-95 and US-1 are both bumper to bumper with vacation traffic.
- Wildcat Transit, operated by the University of New Hampshire, runs from many points in Dover to the campus, and connecting buses can be taken to Portsmouth and Newington.
- COAST bus is the local, non-University bus company. The Dover school district uses four COAST buses in addition to the normal yellow school buses to transport high school students, and several COAST stops are for this purpose only.
- C&J Trailways  operates hourly service every day from Boston's South Station, with some buses continuing on to Logan International Airport. All buses go at least as far north as the bus terminal at Pease International Tradeport (accessible from the Spaulding Turnpike and I-95), with about half continuing on to the Dover train station. All C&J buses make an intermediate stop in Newburyport, MA.
- Woodman Institute, 182 Central Av, Phone: 603-742-1038, . W-Su 12:30PM-4:30PM; Sa,Su only in Dec,Jan; closed Feb, Mar. Dover's only museum offers interesting insect and geological specimens as well as local historic memorabilia.
There is also a preserved garrison house from the 1600's and an entire floor dedicated to taxidermist stuffed animals. This includes an enormous polar bear.
Dover divides its restaurant 'areas' mainly into two distinct locations. In north Dover, off Spaulding Tpke's exit 9, are a plethora of chain restaurants. Landing in this area you will find Chili's, Uno's, Applebee's, Subway, McDonalds, Wendy's, and Amato's (although the latter is technically Somersworth). A short drive south on Central Avenue will bring you to the old mill area of the City. This is an area of more the one-of-a-kind custom restaurants. Each has a unique style and atmosphere that covers a very wide variety and one of them is sure to please your taste for the evening. In this area the street addresses range from 286 Central Ave up into the 300's.
- Dos Amigos, 286 Central Ave., (603) 834-6494, . Low-cost, high-quality tacos, burritos and other Mexican fare. Their sweet potato tacos are especially worth trying.
- La Festa Brick and Brew, 300 Central Ave., (603) 743-4100, . Exceptional creative and traditional pizzas.
- Dover Soul, 364 Central Ave., (603)834-6965,  Terrific restaurant - creative cuisine and swanky martini bar. The best place in town!
- Orchard Street Chop Shop, 1 Orchard St., (603) 749-0006, . Upscale steakhouse. Good food, elegant dining downstairs or casual dining, bar and cigar room upstairs. Great steaks, so-so pork chops (this would be improved if they brined their pork).
The Barley Pub, 328 Central Ave., (603) 742-4226,[http://www.barleypub.com/. The Pub is a cozy, local favorite with live music and the best selection of beer in the city. Bob Dylan is also rumored to have stopped by for a drink after a gig at UNH several years ago.
The Barn Tavern, 17 Portland Avenue, 603-742-1231.
- Dover Comfort Inn and Suites, 10 Hotel Drive, ☎ 603-750-7507, . checkin: 3:00PM; checkout: 12:00PM. In downtown, pet friendly. 115.
- Hampton Inn, 9 Hotel Drive, ☎ 603-516-5600, . checkin: 3:00PM; checkout: 11:00AM. Free evening appetizers and drinks as well as hot breakfast daily. 115.
- Homewood Suites of Dover, 21 Members Way, ☎ 603-516-0929, . checkin: 3:00 PM; checkout: 12:00 PM. New all-suite hotel. Rooms include kitchen with full-size refrigerator, microwave, two-burner stove and dishwasher. Free internet, voice mail, free hot breakfast daily. $125.
- The Silver Fountain Inn, 103 Silver St., (888) 548-6888, . An elegant bed & breakfast in a historic Victorian mansion. Many of the home's Victorian details have been preserved; the house is quite stunning.