Dindigul is a city and the headquarters of Dindigul district in Southwestern Tamil Nadu.
Madurai Airport or Trichy Airport. Dindigul city is approximately 60 km from Madurai.
Dindigul junction is on the main train route from Chennai-Madurai-Kanyakumari and is approximately 440 kilometres from Chennai.
Dindigul is on the NH7 highway from Chennai to Madurai.
- Dindigul Fort - This 280-foot-tall fort was constructed in 1605 by Madurai King Muthi Krishna Naicker and Thirumalai Naicker. It was a witness to many wars between rulers like Tipu Sultan and the English men.
- Sirumalai - Hill Resort - This is a Hill resort for weary travellers and is on the way to Natham from Dindigul. This place is accessible from Madurai also.
- Thadikombu - Perumal Temple - This is 5 Km. from Dindigul on the way to Karur. The main deity is Lord Alagar and the main festival is during the Tamil month of Chitrai.(April-May)
- Begambur Big Mosque - This is a famous mosque in Begambur and is around 200-300 years old.
- Sri Kottai Mariamman Kovil - This is an ancient temple believed to be 200 years old and the idol is believed to have been installed by the King Tipu Sultan. There are many deities in this temple like Mariamman which is the main deity, Vinayaka, Muruga, Madurai Veeran, Kali and Durga. The temple structure is in the form of a square. The temple is run by a board of Trustees.
- Dindigul - St.Joseph Church - This 100-year-old church was constructed between 1866 to 1872. This is the head church of all other Roman Catholic churches in Dindigul District.
- Trekking in Sirumalai - Venture into this most scenic mountain
Dindigul is famous for its Briyani which is quite distinct from those in other parts of the country. The recipe is believed to have been passed on by an Iranian national. However, since then the recipe has become more localised.
- Venu's Briyani - is the most popular restaurant that serves this unique dish
- Thalappakatti - is equally famous and has a longer history
- Koli Nadar - is a non-veg restaurant that offers a wide variety
There are many budget restaurants that serve south Indian dishes in Dindigul city. Some of them are:
- AryaBhavan, Bus Stand
- AshokBhavan, Main road
- SaravanaBhavan, Bus Stand
- Sri Lakshmi Vilas Hotel, 36 A , Koil Street, Dindigul-624003 (Near Abirami Koil), ☎ +91 - 0451-2433349. edit
- Hotel Rajendra (Owner - P Alagarsamy), 174/G Main road, Dindigul-624001, ☎ +91 - 0451-2433947. edit
- Hotel Mahajyothy, 1111/1B-17 Spencer Compound Dindigul, ☎ +91 - 0451-2434317. edit
- Hotel Malajyothy, 1111/1B-17 , Spencer Compund, Dindigul, ☎ +91 - 0451-2434316. edit
- Hotel Parvathy's Pvt Ltd., 14, Koil street, Dindigul, ☎ +91-0451-2435426. edit
- Hotel Padma Pvt Ltd, Trichy road, Dindigul-624007, ☎ +91-0451-2430541. edit
- Hotel Vales Park, 49A, Dindigul-624003, ☎ +91- 0451-2420943. edit
- Hotel Suganya A/C with lodge (Karpagam M), 43, 2 Dindigul-2 (Near Bus stand), ☎ +91-0451-2429675. edit
- Dhalphin Hotels (Ramalingam P), 14 Chatram street, Dindigul-3 ((Near Periyar Statue), ☎ +91-0451-2433463. edit
- Hotel Aruna (Rengasamy K), 259 Main road, Dindigul (Near Periyar Statue), ☎ +91-0451-2433463. edit
- The Dindigul Parvathy Natarajan Hotel, Dindigul-624001, ☎ +91-0451-2433349. edit
- Kurunji Hotel, 4 Spencer Compound, Near Bus Stand, Dindigul 624001, . Rs. 400-800. edit
- Rockfort Palace, 132A, Madurai Road, Begampur, Dindigul 624002, . Rs. 400-1000. edit
- Venkateswar Lodge, Scheme Road, New Bus stand, Y M R Patty, Dindigul 624001 (+91-(0451)-2425881). edit
- Gomath Lodge, 56, Pensioner Street, Dindigul 624001 (+91-(0451)-2430042). edit
- Pandiyarajan K S Prop Pandiyan Lodge, 11, Koil Street, Dindigul 624001 (+91-(0451)-2430013). edit
- Ziauddin Ahmed K A The Lodge liberty, 13, New Agraharam, Dindigul 624001 (+91-(0451)-2431988). edit
- Corner Lodge, 132, Railway Station road, Dindigul 624001 (Railway station road), ☎ 0451-2422228. located near employment office or KPN Parcel office 100-150. edit
- Parsons Court, 85, Mengles Road, Dindigul 624003, . Rs. 1600-2000. edit